what flashlight for airline pilot.....?

greenLED

Flashaholic
If I may, how about a SF A2? You can get ones like new for about $110 at the Marketplace. They come with a variety of LED colors (red and Y/G are my favorite for truly low-light conditions).

g36pilot

Enlightened
L2d-CE: 2AA form adequate multi-function light HI for external preflights. Small enough to carry in a pants pocket for short periods. You may need something more powerful for vertical fin inspection in brightly lit ramp areas such as a Streamlight 4AA light.

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_71
http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338

(I use the L1D-CE smooth reflector/more throw w/3.7v LiIon rechargeable & standard 1AA alkaline for spares)

Single coin cell keychain light purchased by bulk as they're great zipper pulls for jackets, and overnight bags. The most used is the one on my ID/neck lanyard as it is always immediately available. I carry a spare bag of these as I'm constantly asked where co-workers can get one themselves. I use a white LED on these as night vision reduction is of minimal concern for me as the aircraft's powerful external lighting takes care of those needs. It's not greatly reduced by these light anyway, IMO. Red is not good for map reading.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you would consider CR123a, I would recommend Novatac 120P. You could set the brightness from 0.3 lumens to 120 lumens.

If you want to stick with AA battery, maybe Photon Proton Pro (I don't have it, so I can't comment) or Nitecore Defender Infinity (although I think 3 lumens might be a tad high for low).

As others have suggested, you may want to consider getting two lights. One of the lights could be a Photon Rex, which is a keychain light that could be charged with standard batteries (http://www.photonlight.com/Photon-ReX-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/rex-lithium-ion-rechargeable.htm). It only cost about $20-$25 if you search. Fenix's L1D or L2D is pretty good price too. If you get the L1d or L2d with the Photon Rex, it'll cost you under $100 USD.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
A pilot needs something that does not destroy night vision. A red light or a red filter would be advisable and it would be even better if it also has a multi mode a low green or low blue for the maps.

Get whatever you want for the main torch and go out to Countycomm.com and pick up a few of their S.O.L. clip-on lights for the red light. The ones with the clips are 1.50US, the ones without 1.00US. The recommendation is to get one or two with the clip, and a bunch without, then when the battery runs out just move the clip to another light. The lights are the same except for the clip/no-clip.

Last edited:
The Energizer 2AA hardcase swivel from Lowe's.

It has small red and green LEDs for preserving night vision and bright CREE X-lamp main lamp for body inspection and such. The small LEDs and main lamps are on a separate switch, so you won't be forced to activate the bright main lamp in order to use the small light.

The head gives you the option to use it like an angled military map reading light.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/180994

Energizer is a trusted name in Flashlights and batteries for over a century.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at one of the Eternalights! Waterproof, 3 AA, prices in your price range, very low light on low with one LED, decent flood light on high, and easy to carry. The batteries seem to last forever!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is only one choice. The Surefire A2 it is designed for airline pilots.

It has two types of light one led you choice of several colors including RED and a regulated incandescent.
These are available for around $120 in the Market place forum.
IMHO there is no better light for the job. The Inca light is designed so that the tail section of a 747 may be inspected. (as an example) the Surefire A2 really is the best in the business. It comes with a lifetime warranty and is made in the USA. You can not say either of those statements would be true of any of the other lights mentioned thus far (unless the A2 has been mentioned already).
Don't waste your time on IMHO) inferior products. Buy the (IMHO) best light purpose built from the ground up for people in the airline business both Military and commercial.
The A2 is found in pilots cases world wide.
Take care.
Yaesumofo

Zeige

Enlightened
(as an example) the Surefire A2 really is the best in the business. It comes with a lifetime warranty and is made in the USA. You can not say either of those statements would be true of any of the other lights mentioned thus far (unless the A2 has been mentioned already).
Yaesumofo

I agree the A2 is the best choice, but the op said "The A2 was out of the question". Maybe he will rethink this if he's able to get one in the B/S/T for $120, like you stated. However the Novatac 85P is made in the USA and has a Lifetime Warranty as far as I know.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can easily find a A2 for under $150 in the Market place forum. This is absolutly the way to go.
Yaesumofo

hai guys.
To make it short, I want to give my airline pilot brother a decent LED torch that he can use in his job.
The flashlight must be low enough to able him to read flight precheck lists and maps but also bright enough for airplane body precheck for night flight.
Prefer AA size battery since 123 is hard to find in remote area. (believe me places that my bro fly to is really really remote area).
I want to keep this under reasonable budget, I am a scholarship student with very very tight budget, so surefire a2 aviator is out of the question, hehe

Any recommendations?

edit: budget will be around US 100-120(150 is the highest) shipped to sydney. (surefire aviator cost less but the shipping to sydney is outrages)

Thanks
Giandi

lumenal

Enlightened
I want to keep this under reasonable budget, I am a scholarship student with very very tight budget, so surefire a2 aviator is out of the question

Lets see, flashlight, airline pilot, and the obvious reaction, the A2.

I just counted 7 recommendations of the A2...

Doesn't this above quote from the OP rule out the A2?

Or did we all just miss it? :banghead: :nana:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I agree the A2 is the best choice, but the op said "The A2 was out of the question". Maybe he will rethink this if he's able to get one in the B/S/T for $120, like you stated.
No, we haven't missed what the OP said. However, we insist on the A2 because we know:
1. It's the right light for the job at hand.
2. It can be obtained well within the budget posted in the OP.

None of the lights mentioned so far have the design features of the A2. They're either too bright while on low, or not bright enough while on high to get the job done.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I too agree the A2 would be best but as it's been pointed out, the OP doesn't want it. He also mentioned wanting AA batteries. I know where he's coming from. I have a 100% failure rate giving CR123 lights away to non-flashaholics. The batteries that came with it are dead and the lights are sitting in a drawer in all 3 homes. They like the lights but they don't want to pay $9 for two batteries from Walgreens. I know how to buy them for a buck a piece and I tried to hook them up but they don't see the value in all of that "hassle," and I don't fee like supplying them with cheap batteries forever.

But momonbubu, just know that the A2 is best for what you want and in lieu of that I once again suggest the pocket, keychain, colored LED (the Photon Freedom is definitely worth 10 times the price of those throw away ones) and the Fenix AA model that several have suggested.

Good luck and lets stop :dedhorse:

momonbubu

Newly Enlightened
after reading all your recommendations, i believe i should buy an a2 aviator for my bro, but it is difficult to buy that with decent price in Aussie, local dealers here are giving price like nuts. (around AUS 330-389 :( roughly par with USD). The cheapest that I can find is through ebay which is around US 140 plus US 30 shipping to sydney.
Yesterday i found one in CPFM but Lyrrag beat me by minutes, hehe.
I guess i will wait for another a2 aviator in CPFM.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your suggestions.

Giandi

Last edited:

Latest posts