What is a best throwing flashlight under $50 ?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
On the other hand, the Surge ... costs half of what the TL-3 does here in the States.
You can find protected 17500 cells for $12 a pair. Add a DSD charger, and you'll more than recover the TL-3's extra cost.

electronics4life

Newly Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
You can find protected 17500 cells for $12 a pair. Add a DSD charger, and you'll more than recover the TL-3's extra cost.

Where can I obtain a pair of protected 17500 cells for $12? I have only seem them for $10 a piece plus shipping.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, don't get me wrong... I have no idea where my Surge is and I don't particularly care, but I use my TL-3 at least every other day... and I run it on protected 17500s...

I would like to know where to get another pair for $12 though...

pec50

Enlightened
Not sure I would term this the "best" but I might argue that for about $17 the Bright Star Responder 4AA provides a comparable throw to the TL3, albeit with less output, but can take a drop, is submersible to 100 feet, is hazardous location approved, lightweight, and has a runtime well over an hour. Beam has some artifacts, but they are inconsequential in real use when tightly focused. A much under-rated light, I use it as my backup light for firefighting.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
here is a review of the TL3 along with its little brother and led cousins.
it has a throw of 94, and an overall of 100

here is a review of the brightstar responder that pec50 mentioned.
it has a throw of 91 and an overall of 27

here is a review of the surge
it has a throw of 94 and an overall of 90

good luck

GrnXnham

Enlightened
PT Surge is extremely bright for it's size but has a fairly short runtime. I got mine for only $20 shipped.

paulr

Flashaholic
Surge runtime actually is pretty good but its beam is wider than the TL3's so less throw. I wouldn't call it pocket sized. It's about like a 2C or short 2D light.

oklalawman

Enlightened
CHC said:
Seems the general consensus is the Streamlight TL-3. . .
I have one on my duty belt, mounted to my ar15 and just bougt one to put on my 870 remiington duty shot gun....Does anwser your question, It beats the heck out ofmost lights including ones that cost many times more.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Bright Star Responder lights have a reputation for outstanding throw, although I've never used one.

The Surge has great output, with a wide beam that is very useful. The throw is good but not outstanding, due to a textured reflector and a bi-pin bulb that can be difficult to keep centered. I have LED lights that will beat it.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Gave my bro a Sams club Cyclops xenon for Christmas and he mounted it to his AR-15. It has almost the throw of the surge.. well not quite.. but for $10 it's really a great light and it's totaly water proof..

CLHC

Flashaholic
oklalawman said:
. . .Does anwser your question. It beats the heck out of most lights including ones that cost many times more.

Maybe so in the "throw" arena (which I realize that's all some live and die for), but overall it's a lack-luster (that's just my thoughts) that's justified from the many I've encountered. So for me it's a no sell here on that particular model. Of course Your Modus May Vary accordingly so. Enjoy!

pc_light

Enlightened
wojtek_pl said:
Hi,

what flashlight do you recommend with best throw and price below $50 ?

Could be incandescend or LED.
Hi Wojtek_pl:

I'll add my recommendation for Scorpion Incan or SL Poly 4AA Luxeon LED. Both are below $50 and have great throw.

The Scorpion is reported to have short bulb life but I've far exceeeded the several hour rating. The Poly 4AA Luxeon, has throw as good as many incans, great white tint and long battery life, plus in the long run AA's are cheaper to run than 123's.

pc_light

bagman

Enlightened
OK, ignore my last question, I've gone and ofund it on flashligh reviews :rolleyes:

However can I just check that the TL3 will work with protected 17500 cells and waht sort of run time do you get please?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
bagman said:
OK, ignore my last question, I've gone and ofund it on flashligh reviews :rolleyes:

However can I just check that the TL3 will work with protected 17500 cells and waht sort of run time do you get please?

There is currently a discussion going on concerning the 17500s in the TL-3.

I use them in mine and while I haven't done a proper runtime test, I'll say to expect right around 1 hour. Very nice setup for a reasonable cost. Just be sure to change/charge the cells as soon as you notice ANY dimming.

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
I have the SL TL3, scorpion, maxfire, G2 others have mentioned. For pure price its hard to beat the maxfire at $17 at target here. But of the 4 mentioned the throw winner by far is the TL3. I got mine for a tad over your $50 limit and it is my search the backyard light which it does easily (as well as the neighbors too !!). I also have the SL 4AA propoly LED which is pretty good too, but it doesnt match to the 4 above. As 1 said, for $50 you can get 3 maxfires, but the TL3 is sweet