What is it with new CPFers and throw?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it seem to you that newcomers to CPF are more interested in throw than more experienced CPFers? If so, why? Is it that throw is what draws them in, but a more balanced beam is what they ultimately seek?

I just don't get this single-minded search for throw per dollar, throw per watt, throw per unit of length, or any other measure, be it absolute or relative.

Users of high-end bicycle lights don't seek out throw above all else. They understand the value of a broad beam. (Of course, many use two lights: One for throw, the other for flood.)

So I guess I have two questions:
  1. Do you agree that newbies seek out throw more than non-newbies?
  2. If so, why newbies?
At the risk of offending: I'm reminded of a fake radio spot I heard back in the 80s: "Cadillac--for 50 years, the choice of men with small p_____s."

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
My take..
I think the term "throw" may have a broader venue to a newbie who isn't already in tune with all of our terminology. I translate the word throw with a newbie as the amount of light a tool can produce, without prior knowledge of reflector size in comparison to the distance a light can illuminate an object it can be a difficult thing to comprehend.
I think a newbie sees the term throw and automatically assumes that the more light a tool can produce the farther it can project. I can't help but reflect on some of the notions I once relied on when it came to my train of thought with a flashlight...
The more light the farther it throws right? No, but without a bit of depth it is a hard concept to swallow.
Ahh, to be a newbie again and just wanting a $100 light that does it all... :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd appreciate some links where I can read up on all these people preferring throw recently, as that is not my feeling. Thanks.

MuleSkinner

Newly Enlightened
I am a newbie and figured the "throw" part to be better for me. This was because I specifically wanted the light for frog gigging and coon hunting. The throw part I believe will help me spot there eyes better from a distance. Gosh I hope I didn't mess up. I got nearly 200.00 bones in this light :awman:

P2_g_col_sutton_coon04_hunt2.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
What light did you get? As long as it has some sidespill along with the throw, you'll be OK.

It's all in the application and how a person uses a light, that's why I'm confused as to the reference to new people having different preferences; doesn't make sense to me.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Paul on this, and have often thought the same to myself. I remember when I first began investigating this forum, I felt I needed a light or two with lots of throw, and bought a couple. I still use them on occasion, but they taught me that for 90%+ of what I actually use a flashlight for, a broader beam is much more useful. As such, I like my Aleph2 lights more than the Aleph1 and Aleph3 - or at least I use them far more often. This is something that comes with experience, I guess.

On the other hand, I love playing with my most 'throwy' light, a 5 mw green laser pointer. It isn't of much real use to me, but I can't get over the lovely beam and throw.....

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have wondered that myself.

There is a place for throw and when you need it there is no substitute. In the real world I can think of times when throw is needed but I think those are not the most common uses.

In the real world the medium beam with good spill is the most useful to me when doing daily tasks.

I will admit when playing with a light throw is more fun. Throw is good for when I want to see what the dogs are barking at across the cornfield behind my home.

Search, some military, and police applications perhaps. For most real work, nice broad beams are best.

I don't fault throw, I just think it is over desired.

just my 2cents.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I think Pydpiper is correct as to "throw" meaning different things to some new folks. As for my likes "Throw" is way more fun. "Flood" is way more useful 95 percent of the time and yes there are even times when less light is far better.
That should make things clear as mud.
Topper

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
As a newbie, I am not that interested in "deep throw".

I am very interested in the external looks (industrial design) of an object, and how an aesthetic statement is elegantly inspired by function.

dcarch8

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
I'd appreciate some links where I can read up on all these people preferring throw recently, as that is not my feeling. Thanks.
I tried seaching titles only for new + member, new + throw, and so on, but I couldn't find examples. But I'll bet that many of us will relate to the folllowing caricature of a typical first post:

"Greetings. I've been lurking a while and thought it was time to introduce myself. My name is Benighted. I'm looking for something not too large--maybe keyring-size--that can light up my woodshed from a quarter-mile away. I don't need a lot of runtime; just 30 minutes. I'm willing to spend what it takes, but I'd prefer to spend no more than $75. Which models should I look at?"

MuleSkinner

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
What light did you get? As long as it has some sidespill along with the throw, you'll be OK.

It's all in the application and how a person uses a light, that's why I'm confused as to the reference to new people having different preferences; doesn't make sense to me.

I got a Stinger 75000 with one of fivemegas Mods which included the Boro lens installed with new reflector and black bezel, battery adapter kit and running a CA1499 bulb. The batterys are 2 Pila 600P Li-ion batterys.

:sweat:

Galiphrey

Enlightened
dcarch8, I think you hit on something that is actually a large part of the interest and appeal in this pursuit, but is seldom actually identified as directly as you've done. I'm with you: the industrial design of the object is one of the most interesting factors, though I think some would be hesitant to admit that <maybe not>.

Anyway, perhaps one reason the newbie is concerned with throw-per-watt or per-dollar and so forth is that it's an easy thing to quantify. It's such a large field of information that the newbie may choose to start in with easily quantifiable decisions, even understanding at the time that they're too basic, but just in order to have SOME decision point that they can key off of right off the bat, to wet their feet a little bit. Later, they'll expand, and they know this going in, but they have to go in, first. Some processes are hard to short-cut. Learning things and discovering things are totally different.

Sturluson

Enlightened
I would be surprised if folks new to the flashlight world didn't want throw above all else. Throw can be equated to fps/velocity in a firearm, or hardness/rhc in a knife. It is, simply, the most easily understood "spectacular" thing.

After a while, you understand that the most spectacular thing may not be the only thing. You understand that a bullet with decent mass and average velocity may be a better hunting round that a faster bullet, that a very hard knife steel can be too brittle and too hard to sharpen, and that decent spill is what most people need in most flashlight applications.

By the way, this desire for throw above all else is not confined to newbies. I've seen veterans here who value throw above everything. Ranking at the top with throw is price and exoticity. These folks are trophy hunters more than users, and are found in any hobby. Not a bad thing at all, but something to recognize.

(By the way, I'm a newbie here myself, by I've hung around lights a bit over the years, and other interests...)

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know if you would call me experienced, but I have been on the forums for over a year, and I am a HUGE fan of throw. However, over the year or so, I did learn that I dont want only throw, I want sidespill.... never been a fan of optics.

-David

photovoltaic

Newly Enlightened
dcarch8 said:
As a newbie, I am not that interested in "deep throw".

I am very interested in the external looks (industrial design) of an object, and how an aesthetic statement is elegantly inspired by function.

dcarch8

Actually, what dcarch8 talks about here is one of the reasons why I got into the hobby. I enjoy really nice, quality made things. I bought an Innova and thought - wow, this is pretty nice. I remember the first time I laid my hands on my E2e and I was astounded by the small size of the thing. I turned it on and was blown away. I also really, really appreciate the high quality milling and metalwork that went into the flashlight.
For me, throw was not an issue at all. I was actually more interested in having a light that would allow me to pitch a tent in complete darkness. For that, I needed (what I thought at the time) was a good balanced light and I bought into Surefire's marketing. Well, I'm glad that I did. I could definately set up a tent with my E2e. But I've found that it is more useful that I had first ever imagined. I'm a minister and I typically walk through the church at night to make sure everything is locked up for the evening. I like having a bit of a broader beam - helps with getting around more and I can see more within the cone of the beam.
Also comes in handy when I'm walking the dogs - I've got enough spill light to avoid dog pooh in the yard, but I can reach out and watch the dogs with the light when the wander a bit away from me.
I've also bought different lights for different reasons. My E2e is turning out to be my EDC, but I also bought a E1L to attach to the brim of my baseball cap when hiking at night in the woods. (Reason: because it was small and the light lasts a long time) I ordered an A2 on Saturday just because I thought it was cool. :rock: Actually, I bought the A2 because I thought that it would be another good camping light - I could read while in my tent/have low light in my tent and not worry about batteries running down, but be able to spot kids out in the woods who are trying to run off on me if I needed to, all in one light, easy to carry light. So, I've bought 3 Surefires with 3 different things in mind for them.
True, I wouldn't say that any of my flashlights have a really broad beam (especially the E1L) - but it is a quality beam that beats the heck out of the MagLite that I was using before. I can just "see more" now with these flashlights, if that makes sense. Then again, I might be trying to justify the huge $$ I paid for them. :ohgeez:

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
Galiphrey,

Very well said. All one needs to do is go to the Museum Of Modern Art (NY) and see the amazing design solutions of everyday objects.

Some how the Euroupeans seem to do much better in this department.

BTW, I am not implying that there are no good designs here in CPF.

dcarch8

Latest posts