What is the attraction of multiple-cell AA lights?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is the attraction of multiple-AA lights?

Let's collectively bow to CPF. Just about everything I know about cells/batteries, lights, chargers, and more, I learned here. Without others who have posted before me, I wouldn't know any of that!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Re: What is the attraction of multiple Cell -AA lights?

Let's collectively bow to CPF. Just about everything I know about cells/batteries, lights, chargers, and more, I learned here. Without others who have posted before me, I wouldn't know any of that!

OK... a collective bow to the CPF. lovecpf
There are times when I am impressed by the knowledge of some, but there are times that I am humbled by the knowledge of some, and not only humbled, but stunned by the depth of knowledge of the collective.

Last edited:

adnj

Enlightened
Go to a small town or an island country and you may find that AA may be the only size of any battery that you can find. Rechargeable or not.

Sent using Tapatalk

Treeguy

Enlightened

At any rate. Using Treeguy as an example, he states that his car will start even at -30 degrees, I assume Celsius.

I can assure you that starting a car at -30 (Celsius or Farenheit) is not a big deal at all.

It might not be too happy about it, but it will start. It often makes this sound when you turn the key: "Leemee-alo-alo-alo-alo-alo-alo-alo-alone vrOOOOm... "

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hehe, I recollect a story about some Russians out in a super-cold place, who would poor some gasoline under their car and light it :eek::crackup:to heat fueltank / lines / engine to the point where fuel would flow & car could be started. Might be diesel, but perhaps story even referred to regular gasoline in case temps where low enough.

FWIW: in conditions extreme enough, the above doesn't even sound unreasonable to me... :) Think the kind of temps where you can't pee in the snow 'cause some parts might get frostbitten, or where attempting to lick a metal pole would get your tongue stuck (well that's dumb in freezing weather anyway).

Buy the time you really can't find AA's anywhere, I think you'll have other things to worry about.

Last edited:

Treeguy

Enlightened

Hehe, I recollect a story about some Russians out in a super-cold place, who would poor some gasoline under their car and light it to heat fueltank / lines / engine to the point where fuel would flow & car could be started. Might be diesel, but perhaps story even referred to regular gasoline in case temps where low enough.

I've seen that here. Kind of. You light a BBQ chacoal fire on a cookie sheet or on tin foil, and then slide it under the oil pan for a while. It works.

Buy the time you really can't find AA's anywhere, I think you'll have other things to worry about.

Ain't that the truth. :wave:

dss_777

Enlightened

This is why it is actually sensible, despite the numerical errors in your post. You don't need to sit in the driveway with it running to charge, just have to run for a few minutes at idle (which burns relatively little gas, especially with a modern engine) every so often to make sure you aren't discharging your car battery too much.

This suggests a good strategy to use the car to charge batteries: Use the car's battery to recharge the AA's/18650's (with the car off), and only run the car to use the alternator to recharge the car's battery. Much shorter run-times, it seems.

Am I correct?

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

This suggests a good strategy to use the car to charge batteries: Use the car's battery to recharge the AA's/18650's 9witht eh car off), and only run the car to use the alternator to recharge the car's battery. Much shorter run-times, it seems.

Am I correct?

Yes, this is the point I was making earlier. There is no need to run the run's engine while charging, and if you do, you are wasting a LOT of fuel. Alternators can replace lost energy quite quickly.

Poppy

Flashaholic

This suggests a good strategy to use the car to charge batteries: Use the car's battery to recharge the AA's/18650's (with the car off), and only run the car to use the alternator to recharge the car's battery. Much shorter run-times, it seems.

Am I correct?

Absolutely!

I guess I didn't spell it out clearly enough that the car engine does not need to be running while charging flashlight batteries. It doesn't matter if they are 18650s, eneloops, or your cell phone.

Poppy

Flashaholic

The topic of the Power outage thread discusses how many lumens and how many batteries (for lighting and other needs) are needed for a family of four for an extended outage.

Regarding the topic of this thread, the OP was asking why buy AA lights with multiple cells, 4 cells, 6 cells, or 8 cells, instead of one or two celled 18650 lights?

I have a few 2*AA cell lights, but no 4,6, or 8 cell AA lights. Those of you who have them, do you use them during power outages? OR are they containers for batteries that you can use in your single cell AA lights?

If you do use them, during a power outage, do you typically use them on low, medium, or high? I.E. at what lumen level?

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast

To answer your question Poppy, I have several 4xAA, and several 8xAA lights that I use fairly regularly. Earlier this year we lost power for three days after cyclone Oswald hammered the region and tore down power lines. I used my TK40/41/60 flashlights on medium mode to generously illuminate the main living areas, and a couple of 4xAA lights for bathroom and toilet.

Having charged up ALL my eneloops (got about 120) a few days before, knowing what was coming, I had plenty of light and didn't even have to recharge anything, or even change any cells as the capacity of the lights battery configuration was more than adequate for the period without power.

The best thing is how stable the larger lights tail stand. The only 18650 light I've got that tail stands is the E50, and I'd likely save my 18650/CR123 lights until all my AA options were exhausted during an emergency, and that would take months to become a problem.

Poppy

Flashaholic

I used my TK40/41/60 flashlights on medium mode to generously illuminate the main living areas, and a couple of 4xAA lights for bathroom and toilet.
Thanks Jash.

Medium mode on those lights is about 100-120 lumens. Its a comforting feeling for a person, when he knows, that he has sufficient reserve power, that he can light the main room/s at that level of light, for the anticipated duration, and longer.

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hehe, I recollect a story about some Russians out in a super-cold place, who would poor some gasoline under their car and light it :eek::crackup:to heat fueltank / lines / engine to the point where fuel would flow & car could be started. Might be diesel, but perhaps story even referred to regular gasoline in case temps where low enough.

FWIW: in conditions extreme enough, the above doesn't even sound unreasonable to me... :) Think the kind of temps where you can't pee in the snow 'cause some parts might get frostbitten, or where attempting to lick a metal pole would get your tongue stuck (well that's dumb in freezing weather anyway).

Continuing somewhat off topic so as to refine cold-weather operations knowledge just a bit:

When the free-air temps go below minus 40 degrees, such as north of Fairbanks, keeping a vehicle operable is a bit dicey. At those temps and below, engines are simply never shut off. Engines are left to idle all night long and the drivers hope that the engine does not kill for any reason. The vehicle's exhaust pipe was angled down-wind to avoid any wind-driven reflow back to the vehicle. Flashlights? 4-D Headlamps used battery body-packs wired past the neck from under the parkas.

Another reason for idling is to keep the windshield relatively clear of ice/frost. Windshields often were double-paned, sometimes the side windows as well.

If the driver/crew was faced with a non-op engine, a camp stove was lit and pushed under the oilpan for a while - how long depend on how long the engine was dead. If available, a rug or blanket was tossed over the hood/radiator. More primitively, the Russians will chop out a shallow hole in the ground/snow and pour some kind of fuel in the hole and push (if possible) the vehicle over that hole such that the oilpan was directly above the burning fuel.

Part of the problem is that the US Military in Alaska used "Quartermaster" gas, which was dismally low on octane. The military truck engines were tolerant of such fuel. However in the '60s when I was up there, many cars simply would not idle on that fuel, meaning that the RPM had to be bumped up (old fashioned throttle cable or a snow-brush stick appropriately jammed on the fuel pedal.)

Down in the lower-48, such as NW Montana where temps routinely drop below minus 30 F, the standard lubricant for modern cars is synthetic oil. Standard dino-oil has about no chance at those temps. I have walked outside in minus 40 temps more than once - no fun. Where I grew up in Northern MN, the standard winter weather was 20 below, 20 MPH wind. which is common all across northern MN, N.Dakota, northern Montana. You do not think about flashlights for long at those temps - reduced to dim yellow beams.

Back on topic: At that time, the US Gov (eg: USFS) recycled primary D flashlight batteries every 2 years since they were mostly dead by then. One time I requested permission to save some from the 'latest' disposal, and obtained a useable rate of about 10%. Rechargeables were the Ni-CD (sub-C inside a D pkg) from GE which had an unuseably low capacity for remote operations. Solar cells were a gleam in the eyes of designers.

Rexlion

Enlightened

I recently purchased my first quality light, and I have to say, sourcing 18650s at a decent price on short order has been a total drag. Came in a package with 1 18650, and since the day it arrived, I've been trying to add a couple more, without success. I still don't have my batteries from a recommended seller almost 3 weeks later (I think they really shipped them fast, but they are somewhere between Hong Kong and Iowa). Battery 2, from amazon, had a less prominent button top than it appeared in pic, and doesn't work with said light, so it is headed back. Battery 3, ordered with 2 day shipping, may or may not make it to me in before I leave on the trip I bought the battery for. Should work, but double the price of the others.

Bottom line, In a multiple AA light, I could have used any of the dozen eneloops I have sitting around the house, and in a pinch I could get more batteries in pretty much anywhere. I'm sure I will get this all squared away eventually, but It's not like I can walk into a drug store and walk out with an 18650
Try the local vapor store (selling fake cigarettes, if you don't know). I now can buy AW 18650s in at least one of the vape shops in Tulsa; I haven't checked them all because there are a bunch of them!