What is the best flashlight?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ yup.
I bought the ProTac HL4 for the 60 lumen low and 600 lumen medium.

As predicted after a couple of days the WOW factor of the 2200 diffused lumens, normal use has given way to 90% low, 8% medium and 2% yes this thing really is this bright.

To me the frosted lens allows massive flood, with a pencil beam subtley camoflagued in the center for a well tailored overall lighting experience where distant objects are lit without flashback from nearby objects.
And Streamlight chose a tint that without being warm or cold sits somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC check out Zebralight, the SC63w(smallest 1865), SC600w MKIII HI (slightly larger 18650) , SC52w (AA/14500), SC5w (AA), and SC32w (CR123/16340) are their flashlight models. I like the w models as they are neutral tint, the "c" and "d" models are good also. They are moderately priced, designed and engineered in the USA and manufactured in China, but they say they are trying to move manufacturing to the US for sales to US customers.

Some other production lights that are great are HDS, Oveready, Foursevens, and Fenix.

Some great custom lights Tain, Hanko, Mcgizmo, Veleno Designs, Okluma, MAC, Luther...

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but this is a good start to get into this.

ven

Flashaholic
1. Longest throw (any size)

2. Brightest flood (any size)

3. Best throw/flood combination (any size)

4. Best EDC (throw, flood, or both)

Thanks in advance for your help in my insatiable thirst to learn!!

As my best could be someone else's worst, i will just answer the questions from the lights i have:)

1-Acebeam K70vn and Thrunite tn32UTvn
2-Fenix TK75vnQ70/MM15vn/tn36vn
3-Acebeam K60vn
4-HDS rotary HI CRI /Mcgizmo Haiku(xp-l HI 4000k)/Convoy s2+ triple

Off the top of my head............

SV_huMMer

Newly Enlightened
The best flashlight simply has not been created yet, not even the best in a category, otherwise everyone would've just got one! :D :D :D

On a more serious note - I don't know well big and powerful lights, I am more into the EDC category.

In this category, in my opinion, things like throw and flood are probably not the most important, with ease of use, bulk/weight, good spacing of levels, convenient UI, versatility of power source etc. having higher weight at least on my "balanced scorecards" of a good EDC light.

And for me, 500lumens would generally be all I need for EDC purposes, and I agree with some of the posters above - in real-life scenarios sub-lumen to 150-200lm would be the range of output for 95% of situations.

I personally love IV (infinitely variable) user interface, as in HDS Rotary/Nitectore SRT series/SWM V11R/some Jetbeams, love the AA/CR123/14500/16340 versatility of V11R and SRT3. However, SRT3 may be way bulkier than many would tolerate for a 123/AA light.

Another excellent option would be small ZLs with their flexible programming and the ability to really fine-tune level spacing, probably industry's best bulk(weight) to lumens ratio. I am not the biggest fan of their looks and form factor, but technically they're some of the best.

An area that I am even affraid to touch upon is custom-built lights - options are countless and budgets are "cost not a factor" :))) But this is probably as close as one could get to having the best flashlight:)

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a Nitecore fanboy and a four light kind of guy. I'd like a "cost not a factor," Fenix TK75vnQ70 but at $500.00 (USD), for me, that's a lot of "cost not a factor" and then there's the heat factor.

Not counting the pocket FOB Tube light, the four light package: Nitecore MH20GT, EC4S, TM16GT & HC90.

To me, my opinion, these are the best "flashlights."

For me, there are too many lights to buy and try them all.

Last edited:

Customwoodcreations

Newly Enlightened
An important question you didn't ask about is TINT.

The tint is very important to me, although I don't know enough yet to articulate what I like. I like the white light, no green, blue, or yellow hue. Would that be soft white, higher CRI?

I've excluded a few models that had impressive performance, but I didn't like the light color.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint is very important to me, although I don't know enough yet to articulate what I like. I like the white light, no green, blue, or yellow hue. Would that be soft white, higher CRI?

I've excluded a few models that had impressive performance, but I didn't like the light color.

If you like tint, and neutral white is your favorite I would highly suggest you require your next light to have a nichia 219B. They are not the brightest or throwyiest but it will be perfect for your EDC light.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light I am most looking forward to is the Zebralight
SC600Fd III Plus$9918650Cree XHP5093-95 CRI5000kFloody

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
i have found that my surefire 6P updated with malkoff M36-1N and running on keeppower 16650's is vary dependable/rugged flashlight,if say i need some other modes i switch to my other 6P with 18650 with a solarforce XM-L 3 mode!but we all end up hear looking for our BEST flashlight,and some of us will never find it! so its what ever rocks your boat,as they say.:whistle:

1DaveN

Enlightened
If I had to answer the question "what is the best flashlight," without any qualifiers about usage, power source, or anything else? Fenix PD35 hands down.

billcoe

Newly Enlightened
If I had to answer the question "what is the best flashlight," without any qualifiers about usage, power source, or anything else? Fenix PD35 hands down.

I have the Fenix PD35TAC and will say that I like the size and ergonomics of the Niteforce MH20GT much better. Not just because it outperforms the Fenix and has a USB charger, but there is that too. I love that at night it can light up the park a block away, is great to rummage around the boxes in the dark basement but is still smaller than the Fenix.

Last edited:

1DaveN

Enlightened
I have the Fenix PD35TAC and will say that I like the size and ergonomics of the Niteforce MH20GT much better. Not just because it outperforms the Fenix and has a USB charger, but there is that too. I love that at night it can light up the park a block away, is great to rummage around the boxes in the dark basement but is still smaller than the Fenix.

I have an RC11 that has a USB charger, and I like that quite a bit as well. It's an inch or more shorter than the PD35 due to the lack of a tail switch, but I'm generally fine with the size of the PD35. I always prefer tail switches since I use momentary a lot, although the RC11's side switch is a lot easier to find that most others I've tried. But the RC11 and the PD35 are very similar in output - if you can't light up the park with your PD35TAC, you likely won't with an RC11 either.