What is the finest AA EDC light available?

Swede74

Enlightened
The sunwayman v11r is not that pretty, but will actually get used due to the simple interface. I think they also make some of their other lights in titanium.

They do, how about the Sunwayman V10R Ti+ with an extender? It takes either a CR123, a rechargeable RCR123A/16340, or a single AA battery. It may be hard to find though, and a bit on the pricey side.

swm.jpg

kbuzbee

Enlightened
I can strongly recommend the Eye10 TiC. Beautiful light. Simple ring UI. 1/2 the price of a McGizmo.

43cb1bc444b1f85119540ae8ac51623c.jpg

Ken

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your friend might not be interested in any of the above options.

My gf loves her Thrunite ti (AAA) keychain light. It's a pretty pink color and is bright and easy to use.

The best part is that it's small enough for her and she always has it with her, so I get lots of thanks when it helps her out.

32_76_69e290b4a9bda83.jpg

I would buy several.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
Sorry guys. I'm somewhat of an ***. Very emotional last night. We really like this woman and will miss her. Should have said, "I'm not concerned with the cost, as long as my wife doesn't find out". Fat chance. I've decided on the M11R Ti Sirius, because of price, UI and looks. At this time, our friend uses a Pelican Saberlight 2020 that I gave her 3 years ago, (Actually, a good dive light.) so she'll be happy with the upgrade.
This was my first thread. Thanks a lot for all of the good advice.
Roger

P.S. I love giving lights as presents!

cowsmilk

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the McGizmo lights, personally I wouldn't go with a 'mule' style light with no reflector, the idea is nice but in practice you just end up burning through batteries to get sufficient lux on anything further than 3m away.

Member TGWNN was developing a nice AA light under his MatchBoxIndustries brand, model name Zeus; seems like there are some delays in the project though so I'm not sure on availability.

Agreed. Mule is nice for a keychain light. But for a EDC, it doesn't have enough throw. Plus, if you tail-stand it, it annoyingly shines in your eyes from a wide angle.

I'd like to point out that I've personally found that a mule head is good for distances up to around 10-12 meters in practice, and at that range I can light up my entire yard instead of sweeping the light to get one part or the other. The haiku head is very nice as well but 90% of the time I don't find myself thinking that I wish I had more throw. I also do not burn through batteries any faster than I did when I had my haiku head.

I have carried my 1xAA mule, with the nichia LE, for several months and have not found myself wanting anything different. As for tail standing, I agree that it's fairly bright at a weird angle, so I put a water bottle cap on it if I'm going to tail stand which makes a soft white glowing light. Takes care of the problem.

Peace Train

Enlightened
...at that range I can light up my entire yard instead of sweeping the light to get one part or the other. The haiku head is very nice as well but 90% of the time I don't find myself thinking that I wish I had more throw.

Isn't it funny how we barely look past our noses in the daylight, but at night it becomes a different story. :thinking:

I've decided on the M11R Ti Sirius, because of price, UI and looks.

It's a beautiful choice, Roger. I'm sure she'll love it! :rolleyes:

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
Is a CR123 light really the best option as a gift for 65 year old woman? I'd stick with your original idea of a AA light.

It's a nice light you've chosen but a bit manly, like a gift Mr. T would love to receive.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Sorry guys. I'm somewhat of an ***. Very emotional last night. We really like this woman and will miss her. Should have said, "I'm not concerned with the cost, as long as my wife doesn't find out". Fat chance. I've decided on the M11R Ti Sirius, because of price, UI and looks. At this time, our friend uses a Pelican Saberlight 2020 that I gave her 3 years ago, (Actually, a good dive light.) so she'll be happy with the upgrade.
This was my first thread. Thanks a lot for all of the good advice.
Roger

P.S. I love giving lights as presents!

Nice light but the batteries for that are not inexpensive in Europe/not very common. Which means she may be hesitant to use it as much as she'd like.

Last edited:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd second the V10R Ti with the AA extender, assuming you think she'd be able to handle the control ring alright. Really a beautiful light.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
What's with all these comments about 65, like that's ancient or something? :rolleyes:

Ken

I imagine an older women moving to Paris would encounter some difficulty finding a CR123 at a local shop and I am sure not something she's used to. That's the kind of thing you order online and stock up on... More for us tech geeks. Personally I've never been a fan of CR123's for the reasons mentioned. They do have a long shelf life which is a plus though.

KQL

Newly Enlightened
Yes, my suggestion of the Sunwayman products assumed they'd be used with the AA extender, as the OP requested. I have a tonne of cr123s, but actually prefer my v11r with an eneloop, just a better fit for my hands.

hatman

Enlightened
Member TGWNN was developing a nice AA light under his MatchBoxIndustries brand, model name Zeus; seems like there are some delays in the project though so I'm not sure on availability.

Well, yes, it's lovely, but it's a just issued model that apparently has teething problems as all new models do and the non-flashaholic person he's gifting it to is leaving the country. May not be the best choice to say I love you.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to be more careful about people's age.... My parents are 77 and 82 years old, and are more tech savvy than most people I know. They each have their own desktop, laptop and Kindle. They stream all of their movies wirelessly to the smart TV. My mother designed her own website and administers it, and it is an active site. 65 is the new 50 (or so). Ordering batteries online is not tricky.

Don't make assumptions.