What is the highest amount of lumens you usually need?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Max for night bicycle rides especially with friends who are using MC-E. I'm going to switch to MC-E.

Remember that there is more to light selection than just the LED emitter alone. That is especially true with the MC-E because not all lights with MC-E LEDs are alike. They may all be bright, but their beam patterns can be quite different depending on the design of the reflectors. The MC-E, due to its quad core design, is one LED that really requires a lot of thought and testing into the reflector being used with it. Some MC-E lights have what I deem bad beam patterns because they have a big dark spot in the center, while other ones have great beams that have no dark spot at all. It all depends on the reflector.

Just make sure that you know what you're getting (ask/search around on CPF) before you spend lots of money on a light just because it has an MC-E LED like what your friends' lights have. ;)

papajoe

Newly Enlightened
I realize I'm late to the party here, but thought I'd throw my $0.25 in here.

If you have only one output, this question takes on a different perspective. Since you cannot select a lower setting, so you don't want an output that destroys night vision, eh?

I've found that 100 lumens will meet most all my needs for brightness, and if carefully used, it will not wreck my acclimation to the dark.

Hope this helps . . . . .

Joe:eek:

red02

Enlightened
A poll would be great...

My most used light is the photon, its usually on to about less than half way. When I star seeing the spot is when I stop ramping. So probably less than 2lm.

20lm for everything that requires sustained light. 120lm is the most I've ever wanted to use. 90lm from my ZLH501 is enough for almost anything I do.

About the same for camping, except of course for the 220 for spotting stuff.

Last edited:

fnj

Enlightened
The first LED light I ever got was an HDS EDC 60XRGT. Every time I get it out I am impressed once again that anything more than that is not useful in any day to day conditions which I meet. In fact I mostly use at 10-30 lumens and often at 0.3 lumens.

My Ra Clicky 170Cn is chiefly an improvement not for the higher outputs but for the longer run-times at the same outputs.

I suppose if I had to change a tire my 550 lumen dropin for my 4D Maglight would come in really handy, but that's why I have AAA.

learner-gr

Newly Enlightened
First excuse me for my english-american.
I have a flashlight that have a led with 3 modes and also 6 small red leds 3 modes (like the old type). I tried when I got up in morning (still black inside the house) the red light leds on low mode and it was ok. Then I open the big led on high (about 120+lumen) and my vision burned and my eyes hurt. I didn't see anything much well for about 1 minute. I thought what it would be with an olight sr90 on high.:D:D:D

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
as much as available.
this weekend actually i got stock in the forest for half a night, with only photon2 light that i had on my keys, supply vehicle didn't get until about 4am. i survived. did i wish i had my 3xp7mag with me, sure. was it absolutely necessary? no.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hey, I have been thinking about getting my first good light. Right now I just have P7's from dealextreme, but I'm past the "wow" light stage, and I'd like to know the most lumens you guys have ever needed. Thanks!

Need? 80

Want? 2000

Why? No clue.

Roger999

Enlightened
Hmm read it again. Made sense to me.
If you use 200lumens 99.5% of the time, that only leaves 0.5% of the time for use with other modes. Eg if you use 50 lumens all the time, you would say you use it 100% of the time not that you use 50 lumens 352.5% of the time.

Back to topic :eek:.

fnj

Enlightened
If you use 200lumens 99.5% of the time, that only leaves 0.5% of the time for use with other modes. Eg if you use 50 lumens all the time, you would say you use it 100% of the time not that you use 50 lumens 352.5% of the time.

Poster did not say 200 99.5% of the time. He said 200 OR LESS 99.5% of the time. The < symbol means less than.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it involves crossing your eyes, a kick in the nuts, and holding your breath for 5 minutes in that order without breaks.

I don't recommend it. :green:

I new calculations worked different up in the hollar. lol

The Sun usually gives me the lumens I need but sometimes I need a little more.

Bill

mrartillery

Enlightened
Wow, Ive never really thought about how much I need but I normally use the 500-700 range when outside but I have been known to use a WHOLE lot more. :whistle:

Colorblinded

Enlightened

As others have pointed out, you failed your maths :poke:

Haha as late as I was up last night I just came back to check and see that I wasn't reading it wrong. He still worded it validly.

COAST

Enlightened
Around the house with night-adapted vision: .007 lumens from Ra Clicky
Around my dark house with regular vision: 50 lumens (all OTF)
Outdoors at night I prefer: 180+ lumens
Hiking (at a large National Park such as Yosemite) at night: ~300+ lumens throw with a good amount of spill
Walking the dog: 150-230 lumens
Regular use: 70-280 lumens

I like large lumens amounts :) I usually hike with my Quark 123^2 Turbo. My last hike I brought my new (at the time) Ra Clicky. More than 500 lumens will always be welcome in the family :) my next light (hopefully) Macs Custom 6500k with a 3 mode 2800mA driver.... Need it!!!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Your basic misunderstanding has to do with the intent of the OP's question which has to do with the highest needed level; not the level used.

Most of our lights have multiple-level UI's and while I carry a Draco that has a maximum rated output of 160lumens, I almost always use the light on low or medium, reserving high for the few times I really want some light. Most of the time I find the maximum of 160lumens to be all I need, although I seldom use that setting.

Therefore, 160lumens is the highest amount of lumens I would usually need. If the question had substituted the word 'need' for 'use' then my personal answer would then change from 160 to 2-10.

Tally-ho

Banned
Just make sure that you know what you're getting (ask/search around on CPF) before you spend lots of money on a light just because it has an MC-E LED like what your friends' lights have. ;)
I read MTBR "lights DIY" thread as often as possible.
I plan to make my own multiple MC-E light(s) because when we are riding downhill together and then have to increase the distance between us, because they ruined my (remaining) night adapted vision, I don't see as well as I would like with my 1x XP-G.R5 and 1x XR-E.R2.
Above all it is a safety matter.
When I'm riding lonely, my flashlights fulfil my needs but if I feel that I don't see momentarily enough, I slow down a little bit to keep a safety margin.
There is two ways to increase safety margin: slowing down or increasing brightness. I prefer the second one even if I use the first one...with regrets.

Concerning MTBR, I never miss troutie's contributions but there is tons of interesting stuff from many guys testing and making crazy combinations with all TIR optics and/or reflectors availables on the market.

Last edited:

dwevy

Newly Enlightened
When i read newspaper, i usually use 10 lumens

outdoors, more than 200 lumens:D

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Riding a bike with a light is a different situation altogether. In that case I would suggest a minimum of 350 lumens for mountain biking and 200 for riding on the road. If you are a faster rider than I (and most here probably are) then 350+ is suggested for riding on the road and 500+ for mountain biking.

I figured that lumens is like horsepower: everyone wants more but not everyone needs more.

lovenhim

Enlightened
You know, this is a great question....with an answer I am going to have to find out. Here is the deal, I am leaglly blind (visually impaired) so my light needs will be different that someone who can see 20/20. My use for a flashlight is mainly less than 3 feet away. Now I can see a light at 30 feet but may not be able to see in detail what that light is shining on. On the surface a Fenix E01 is not bright enough but then again 180 lumens from a Preon 2 is too much and can hurt my eyes at a 3 feet distance. I might do well with something like an ITP A3 EOS for an EDC, but do not own one, HMMMM.

In a completely dark house I can get buy ok with a Fenix E01 @ 10 lumens. Outside because of my short distance vision I am ok using medium mode on my Preon 2 @ 22 lumens. However I did like the full output of 180 lumens but depending on what the light was reflecting off of it was uncomfortable on my eyes. Now I also tried Surefire C2 Centurion that I have with 80 lumen incandescent bulb and I much prefer the Preon 2's flood beam to the C2's hot spot beam.

Last edited: