What is the highest amount of lumens you usually need?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
You seriously use a P7 to find things around the house?

Hehe, believe it or not, sometimes I use my huge HID spotlight to find things in my house! :D It sure isn't the most convenient way to look for a dropped quarter, but it is a lot of fun!

Curt R

Enlightened
One thing that is generally overlooked is the age of the eyes of the user of the light. Somewhere in the 20 to
30 year old range the sensitivity of the eye starts to decrease. It decreases at a fairly even rate per
additional year of life. The general rule is that for every 13 years of age you need to double the amount
of light needed to perceive the the same detail as the previous 13 year time point at a constant 20-20
eye acuteness.

So if we start at age 25 as 100 Lumens, at age 38 we would need 200 Lumens. Then at age 51 the light level
needed would be 400 Lumens and at 64 I need 800 Lumens and not 100 Lumens. The next time some kid
asks you why you can't see that, just slap him up side the head.

Curt

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA mostly moon mode and if I need more I hit low.

Novatac .08 / .33 / .94 / 2.7 and I mostly use .08

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Novatac .08 / .33 / .94 / 2.7 and I mostly use .08
I love it every time I see the levels you use and I think you must be one of the few CPF'ers who likes his low levels even more than I do!

Whenever I'm talking to other members on the phone and they ask me how high levels between lights I've had compare I'm often unable to answer, but I can tell about beam pattern, tint and low levels!

Right now my Clicky is set to .08, 2.7, 30, 120. I can't see a big enough difference between 120 and 170 to use the highest setting as all I can see it accomplishing is more battery drain and more heat.

Last edited:

Grayblue

Newly Enlightened
For an EDC light which serves security purpose as the primary duty:
Usually maximum out put from a 200~300 lumen lights.

I'm usually trying to see something at a distance or something that might hurt me in unknown distacne indoors or outdoors.

For work light used to inspect objects on a work table:
60~80 Lumen.

Last edited:

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
I use a TK10 for day to day tasks such as working on my car to checking things out in the yard at night and I mostly use the low mode which is 60 fenix lumens and its just perfect. A night on high at 225 fenix lumens I can see clearly to 50m and barely light up structures at about 100m (fenix says 200m which is total bs, unless you are spotting a hi-vis jacket or something).

So anyway 60 lumens is just right for most of my day to day activities.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
One thing that is generally overlooked is the age of the eyes of the user of the light. Somewhere in the 20 to
30 year old range the sensitivity of the eye starts to decrease. It decreases at a fairly even rate per
additional year of life. The general rule is that for every 13 years of age you need to double the amount
of light needed to perceive the the same detail as the previous 13 year time point at a constant 20-20
eye acuteness.

So if we start at age 25 as 100 Lumens, at age 38 we would need 200 Lumens. Then at age 51 the light level
needed would be 400 Lumens and at 64 I need 800 Lumens and not 100 Lumens. The next time some kid
asks you why you can't see that, just slap him up side the head.

Curt

Dude!! That was depressing!