What light to send to a US soldier in Iraq? ... **UPDATE in POST #119**

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What light to send to a US soldier in Iraq? ... THANK YOU CPF FOR YOUR GENEROSITY

Nice to see how much patriotism you americans have, give's me goosebumps to see how much your soldiers are supported. No such thing here in the Netherlands:sigh:

I find it very strange that a soldier gets shipped to iraq without even a proper flashlight though, whats up with that?

When I got shipped out, I wasn't issued one at all.

The Army will equip you with a basic load of stuff - 1 each rucksack, 1 each barracks bag, etc. When you get to your individual unit, they may (or more often may not) issue you additional gear.

The catch is - that additional gear at the unit level comes out of unit funds, the discretionary funds a company has to purchase equipment. Depending on the funds allocated and the discretion of the company command and supply section, you may or may not get stuff that just makes sense.

The bottom line is - every person in uniform has to suck it up and accept the fact that Uncle Sam won't give you everything you might need to get the job done. And it behooves you (good Army word) to invest in some of your own gear so you don't get caught short.

Because "but they didn't issue it to me" just doesn't cut it sometimes.

-Trevor

drmaxx

Enlightened
Re: What light to send to a US soldier in Iraq? ... THANK YOU CPF FOR YOUR GENEROSITY

This thread is just an other proof what a great community cpf is.
A salut from Europe to all the illuminating support you send to the guys fighting on the ground. And my deepest respect to all of you who gave their time and life to serve a greater good.

96bravo

Newly Enlightened

Nice to see how much patriotism you americans have, give's me goosebumps to see how much your soldiers are supported. No such thing here in the Netherlands:sigh:

I find it very strange that a soldier gets shipped to iraq without even a proper flashlight though, whats up with that?

Eisenhower warned us of the dangers of the military-industrial complex. Unfortunately, he didn't warn us about the 545 most dangerous people in America. It seems they are only interested in feathering their own lives, and to some lesser degree that of their own districts. Meanwhile, the American fighting man suffers with poorly armored HUMVEEs forced into a combat situation they were not design for. AND sent without a decent light. Not to mention dozens of other shortcomings they have to live with.

Okay, I'll stop ranting, send a donation, and drop a case of cigars off at the local armory.

George

96bravo

Newly Enlightened
Re: What light to send to a US soldier in Iraq?

Kindly PM me with your Paypal info.

Thanks,
George

96bravo

Newly Enlightened

Attn RobertM:

Kindly PM your Paypal info.

George

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the G2 a normal G2 (not G2L)? If it is an all nitrolon G2, then won't that dropin have poor heatisnking with the host? It seems to be a high output dropin, which would require a G2 with a metal head.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: What light to send to a US soldier in Iraq?

No offense here, but the:

Made in US -> less than $20 -> Durable

isn't really such a good combination. Up it to something like $50+, then we're starting to talk.
Since you're so patriotic, you should know better and not be a cheap *** =P

Pelican (*edit* and princeton tec) make some really durable ~$20 dive rated lights that are USA made.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Moddoo and I have 50 or so red SF cells ready for the cause. Shipping box ready.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Attn RobertM:

Kindly PM your Paypal info.

George

Paypal received! Thanks again for your generous donation! :)

Is the G2 a normal G2 (not G2L)? If it is an all nitrolon G2, then won't that dropin have poor heatisnking with the host? It seems to be a high output dropin, which would require a G2 with a metal head.

I too share your concern and it was actually one of the very first things I thought of when Kobi told me they were donating it. Maybe I'll see if I can find a good deal on a new aluminum bezel on the marketplace.

I've got 50 or so red SF cells ready for the cause. Shipping box ready.

Wow, that is very generous and should be very helpful over there. Between your 50, the box of 12 I ordered, and bullfrog's 6, hopefully that will keep them stocked for a while. :)

Thanks everyone,
Robert

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

I too share your concern and it was actually one of the very first things I thought of when Kobi told me they were donating it. Maybe I'll see if I can find a good deal on a new aluminum bezel on the marketplace.

Ideal would be a lower output drop in (< 150L). It will do better in the insulated host and provide more runtime. The M60L comes to mind.

BTW, I lost count, but this should be enough:

10cqkhl.jpg

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ideal would be a lower output drop in (< 150L). It will do better in the insulated host and provide more runtime. The M60L comes to mind.

BTW, I lost count, but this should be enough:

10cqkhl.jpg

That is awesome!! :twothumbs

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like a few surefire 6P heads are for sale here:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=202334
2 of them seem to be used with slight imperfections for $15. Of course, since all they need to do is be pieces of metal, scuffs on the anodizing wouldn't really matter.

The 6P head is compatible with the G2, correct? I always see the Solarforce heads advertised as compatible with G2 and 6P lights, which would suggest to me that they are interchangeable.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 of them seem to be used with slight imperfections for $15. Of course, since all they need to do is be pieces of metal, scuffs on the anodizing wouldn't really matter.

The 6P head is compatible with the G2, correct? I always see the Solarforce heads advertised as compatible with G2 and 6P lights, which would suggest to me that they are interchangeable.

The 6P heads should work just fine on the G2. The Solarforce fit the G2 as well.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

The 6P heads should work just fine on the G2.

With the possible exception of lenses (different gaskets), everything is interchangeable.
I think of the G2 as a plastic/nylon version of a 6P. Bezels, etc, are also interchangeable with C's and Z's.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. I just send the seller an offer via PM on CPFM for his/her new 6P bezel...we'll see what happens. :)

-Robert

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

$20 Paypal just received from a French cop on CPF who wishes to remain anonymous. Thanks again for your donation!

-Robert

dcycleman

Enlightened

hey, you fellas are A-OK :thumbsup: