What lights did Santa bring you?

Re: What Flashlight did you receive as a Christmas gift this year ?

Santa was good to me. I received a Fenix TK35, a Xeno E03, a pair of panasonic 18650s, and a 4 pack of AA Eneloop XXs. :)

Re: What lights did Santa bring you? Originally Posted by Atakdog
Got me an Armytek Predator with the new XP-G2 led. I love the programmable interface and it throws crazy far; maxed out around 230 meters with a full moon!
Can't wait to test it on a moonless night.
congratulations, welcome to the Armytek club

That Armytek Predator really looks interesting but how does it stack up against something like the new Nitecore ec25?

Merry Christmas! Joining the trend, I received a Fenix TK75 along with the Nitecore Intellicharger i4 and eight 18650's. :) What a setup!

That Armytek Predator really looks interesting but how does it stack up against something like the new Nitecore ec25?

I don't own an EC25 but I'd be willing to bet so far as throw is concerned that the Armytek destroys the EC25 due to having a real deep, SMO reflector (there is the OP option for Armytek Predators though). I think 99.9% of people buy Armytek Predators with a smooth reflector anyways. based on the Nitecore site, the Nitecore EC25 has a throw of 222 meters at most, but the XP-G2 cool white Predator does almost twice that

the EC25 also looks smaller. the Predator can take LifePo4 cells, 2x 16340s, 2x CR123s, 1x 18650, etc. the EC25 can do only an 18650 or 2x 123s i think.

additionally, you can do anything with the Predator so far as programming any number of modes, memory or not, strobe frequency, etc.

this is kind of an unfair comparison though, because the Predator is a totally different light, in all honesty. I'm not knocking the EC25, but the Armytek Predator is among the most well built lights I've ever had the pleasure of using and comes with Nyogel on the threads, too, which is a real nice touch.

if you want a more EDC-friendly light, the Nitecore may be the way to go, but if you want a light that you can control every little aspect of and is tough as nails, get the Predator.

lightjunction has the XP-G2 predator for $99.99 last I checked and there's a 12% off CPF code posted at the MP. :)

I really like how Armytek builds their lights (saw the torture test of the Predator on youtube) and the programability really would be nice. I understand that it is really a thrower but the reviews say it only has 350 lumens as opposed to 860 with the Nitecore EC25. The light I think will be neat is the Eagletac TX25C2 which has some of the customizable features of the the Armytek and has a whole lot more lumens. The size between the predator and the EC25/Tx25C2 doesn't really matter but something the size of the Armytek Barracuda would be too large.

Do you find that the Predator has too much throw for medium distance work or not enough lumens to really search something? Thoughts on the TX25C2?

I really like how Armytek builds their lights (saw the torture test of the Predator on youtube) and the programability really would be nice. I understand that it is really a thrower but the reviews say it only has 350 lumens as opposed to 860 with the Nitecore EC25. The light I think will be neat is the Eagletac TX25C2 which has some of the customizable features of the the Armytek and has a whole lot more lumens. The size between the predator and the EC25/Tx25C2 doesn't really matter but something the size of the Armytek Barracuda would be too large.

Do you find that the Predator has too much throw for medium distance work or not enough lumens to really search something? Thoughts on the TX25C2?

No Armytek model has ever had 350 lumens OTF, where'd you read that?

you may have misread it from "meters of throw" because they definitely do 350m of throw on the 'old' XP-G R5 model. the current warm XP-G2 model is reported as doing 300 m of throw, however, on Armytek's site; http://armytek.com/armytek_predator.html

let me know if you misread a review or what specific model you read it about. perhaps it was the old High CRI XP-G predator you were reading about which is gonna have a lot lower lumens because of the incredibly warm tint :)

you'll be blown away by an XP-G2 predator though. as far as medium distance work, i wouldn't say it has too much throw for that. you can really light up a subject at a distance, but you can turn down the lumens if need be :D

edit: correction: the old XP-G r5 has 300m of throw. my mistake

Note: sorry for hijacking the Santa thread but this subject is quite interesting and relates to a gift sort of... :whistle: :)

let me know if you misread a review or what specific model you read it about. perhaps it was the old High CRI XP-G predator you were reading about which is gonna have a lot lower lumens because of the incredibly warm tint :)

In this review by mefistofele86 says that the Predator has only 350 OTF lumens.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-XP-G-R5-review-with-BEAMSHOTS-and-COMPARISON

Brightness

The LED XP-G R5 is driven at 1.5 Amps, then the brightness is really great. ArmyTek declares 500 led lumens thus here we have about 350 OTF lumens. Ceiling bounce test shows well Predator capabilities.

In Selfbuilts review using a XP-G R5 1C tint (driven at 1.5A) the estimated max ANSI lumens was ~370 (1x18650 AW Li-ion cell).
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0-2xR-CR123A)-Programmable-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

I now see that there is a XP-G2 which is supposed to be brighter than the XP-G R5 :confused: I guess with all the stuff coming out with XM-L LEDs I thought the XP-G series was outdated. It sounds like this newer version XP-G2 is still competitive (if not preferred by many for the throw pattern).

It wasn't a lump of coal but a rod of kryptonite:

and a small shiny bauble:

My father inlaw got me a fenix pd32, I was really surprised by this. For someone to buy me a flashlight is a surprise because I'm so picky and the fenix lights have never interested me.

I will say though that I like the uniqueness of the UI. It doesn't apeal to me but it shows a huge improvement over many of the other multi mode offerings.

My oldest daughter has figured out who Santa is and he sent me a Veleno Quantum D2 and a Custom XPG triple in an e series head. He knew exactly what I wanted.

Not a new "light" per se', but the wife got me an MD60 for my M6.

Basically made it a new light anyways :cool:

Can't beat flashlight toys from the wifey.... Especially anything Malkoff related!!!

wife got ma a fenix tk75 with 4 new 18650 batteries, what more can you ask from from SO.