What Model Cell Phone Do You Own?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
An ancient Seimens C35 from around 2000-2001 - It sends and recieves calls, text messages and always works...pretty much all I need or want (some sort of primitive interweb access as well, but I've never used it).

CFU

JOshooter

Enlightened
monkeyboy said:
I just got a Nokia 1112. Its one of the few phones you can buy that's just a phone. No colour screen, no camera, no mp3 player, no flippy things to break off, no dolbly digital surround sound with DVD player. Just a phone.

I've got a NOkia 3587i. Just a phone, no camera, no mp3, no fancy ringtones, no slicing/dicing...Battery life is EXCELENT! :D

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
For some reason after 8 years with Cingular I switched to Verizon 2 years past.....Needless to say I am switching back to Cingular when my contract is up on the 18th of this month. Verizon does not offer 7 to 7 free nights and weekends nor roll over minutes and I was unaware of this when I made the swap.

I have used the LG VX6100 and for the first year it was ok. Now the battery life is about 10 minutes tops and if you want to buy a new battery it is more than the phone cost new. Plus it recently started shutting off for no reason at random times....I know it sounds crazy but I could swear that this phone is some how pre-set to fail on the last month of my contract. It would seem that I am forced to either re-new my contract to get another phone or change companies.

Along the lines of this thread can anyone verify that Cingular does not suffer from so many dropped calls today vs 2 years past? I have heard that after their merger their coverage and service is just as good as Verizon. If so their packages are the same cost however Cingular offers earlier nights and weekends starting at 7 pm and also roll over minutes. With all else being the same I see no reason to stay with Verizon for less features. Seems like Verizon would at least lower their package costs as they do not offer the same benefits as Cingular.

iced_theater

Enlightened
I now use a Nokia 6315i from Verizon. I was going to get the Motorola Razor, but I found it to be too thin for my tastes. Most everyone I talk to has Verizon so it was easily the best choice for me, also the fact that I get a discount from them because of where I work.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
... aside from the fact that Verizon locks out a bunch of cool features (media transfer via Bluetooth, for instance), I'm quite happy.

If you're not affraid of voiding warranties you might want to check out a site called hacktherazr.com

I was able to get rid of much of the verizon branding and enable my phone to interface with my computer to upload ringtones, wallpapers and to download my pictures and movies. I even hacked it to surf the web (rudimentary surfing with google proxy) for free on nights and weekends. I hooked my sister and my dad up with their own ringtones from songs they like.

cy

Flashaholic
razr here and very pleased with performance!

OT... JO, what type of 10 meter rifle is in your avatar?
recently purchased a FWB 601 in new condition.

fwb 601.JPG

JOshooter said:
I've got a NOkia 3587i. Just a phone, no camera, no mp3, no fancy ringtones, no slicing/dicing...Battery life is EXCELENT! :D

carrot

Flashaholic
Thanks for the link, carbine15. Next time I get my hands on a PC I'll be messing around with my phone. I'll get to doing the WAP thing tomorrow... I did that on my old phone and it was pretty sweet.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I have a Nokia 5110 work phone and a Sony Ericsson T310 personal phone. I get paid to use the work phone and spend about $30.00 (per paid) a year on my personal phone. Just how I like it. :)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I were Cingular customers for nearly 10 years until we discontinued service with them nearly 2 years ago. We were very happy with their service for the most part, but we were trying to save money, and cancelling both of our cell accounts saved us $90 a month.

For most of the last two years I used a Virgin Mobile prepaid Kyocera K9 (the one with the built in LED flashlight!) my only complaint was that I couldn't get reliable service out in the boonies where we live (Cingular had always given us a clear signal though).

Since we've paid off most of our debt and have a little more expendable income now, I recently got another cell phone and a "normal" cell account. My wife has a Verizon cell phone through work and gets good service out here, so I went ahead and signed up for a Verizon RAZR as well as a broadband PCMCIA car for my laptop through Verizon (our only reasonable broadband option out here in the country). I get nice discounts for both through work (UPS) and since my wife uses the card in her work laptop when she's on call, her work pays for part of the broadband bill too.

I'm very happy with the RAZR so far, but I'd have been even happier if I could have kept my Virgin phone had I gotten any kind of decent signal at our house. I don't use my cell phone a lot, and paying $7 per month for the prepaid service was a lot nicer than the $44 (before my work discount) I'm paying per month now.

-Keith

drizzle

Enlightened
Samsung E-105. It's a simple, no frills phone that is very well designed is small and nearly indestructible. A big bonus is that when it's closed (it's a flip phone) the exposed buttons won't do anything other than momentarily light the outside visible LCD display and silence the ringer.

I had a Motorola phone for a couple of weeks but returned it after accidently pressing some buttons while it was closed and messing up some settings.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Motorola i530. Durable, great battery life, convenient Nextel direct connect. Pretty basic, but my employer supplied it, and I don't have to pay a dime unless I go over my allotted minutes for the month, and that's happened ony 3 times in the last 8 or 9 years.

I'd like to get one with all the bells and whistles, but I'd have to pay for that myself! At work, we have found that the key to a long-lasting cellphone is to have a good durable case for it. I've had 4 Motorola Nextels in the last 8-9 years (only got a new one to upgrade, never because of a breakdown). I always had a good case/belt holster for each one. Most of my coworkers decided to go without a case, and seemed to go through twice as many phones as I did.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
As quite a few of you have a Motorola V3, can anyone reccomend a good belt holster?
Over here they only sell the crappy quality ones or generic holsters that just don't fit. I'm looking for the following:

- Nylon/Cordura or (no leather!!!!) Black very much preferred.
- Horizontal carry, phone coming out in upwards direction.
- Fixed beltloops
- Good fit & finish
- No parts that stay on the phone itself

As I don't want to hijack this thread, please send replies in a PM. All features mentioned above are mandatory, other colors will be considered if all other criteria match. And ofcourse, it should be available from a vendor willing to ship to the netherlands :) Thanks!

supes

Enlightened
Sony Ericsson Z710i, pretty nice and I use it with Cingular, biggest network. Hopefully, I can get a Samsung slider like the D900 soon, that's if my flashlight purchases don't come first in line....

I don't think I could use a RAZ just like a M@g, everyone and their MOTHER in the US has that thing.

I got to say the new Samsung Blackjack is NIICCCEEE!!!

Last edited: