What other addictions do you have beyond lights?

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened
preety much like everyone else, spyderco, kershaw, rolex, oris, fenix, cell phones (too many), getting into home theater and led tvs.

i can't seem to be able to obtain my license to carry.. my past catching up with me i guess. might be a good thing at the end of the day.

brucec

Enlightened
Ex-girlfriend collection stopped when I got married. But the ex-girlfriend hate mail collection in my inbox still sees activity from time to time...

I am considering starting a baby collection. Unfortunately, that decision is not just up to me and my wallet.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Camping gear
- Saltwater reef aquariums
- Home Theater
- Knives
- Paintball
- Rifles and hunting gear
- Diving gear
- Guitar and amps
- PC Gaming and computer hardware
- Scotch and Vodka

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm ... similar to other cpfs ... watches, knives, and lights.

I got into flashlights because watches and knives were getting expensive. I figured, how expensive can flashlights cost. After a few mcgizmos and custom lights and other mods, I think they started to cost more than my knives. Watches still cost more though ... one nice watch typically will set me back as much as a few Spy007. :green:

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
I have a tendency towards watches.
I used to have a calculator watch - now I have a compass watch. Which I intend to use if I ever go camping! But it's also good for traveling in unknown areas. I'd DIE for a good GPS watch!!!!

I also like knifes, but to a much lesser extent. Multitools would likely surpass that for me.

Other than that, CAMERAS! But unfortunately, I can't afford too many of them things. :devil:

I've always had a bug for flashlights, but it got a bit bigger after joining here - even though I was mostly interested in the batteries section. Still haven't spent more than $25 for one yet - so I guess that's a Good Thing. It's DX on that front for me.

So, um.. Also BATTERIES - everything takes BATTERIES!

Last edited:

N/Apower

Enlightened
Firearms (Mostly high-end stuff, heavy-barrel tactical (custom rem. 700's, ect.)/AR-based/exotic, like Calico, ect. and a few pistols, Les Baer TRS, SIG P226 Elite ST, ect.) Most of the stuff I bought I usually flip pretty fast. AR stuff is the only stuff I don't usually flip. Usually I flip it right into my Dad's collection so I still get to use it though, lol. He particularly is zelous of the Les Baer TRS .45 in hard-chrome that I sold him for $1000 last year.)

Sports cars (Been through a 95 Trans Am, built 88 GT, currently rolling '01 WS6)

X-Girlfriends, that was until I figured out that it was cheaper just to never date them in the first place. Working for Brinker makes things cheap though, gotta love 2 steak dinners at Macaroni Grill for $18+tip. Been working out rather well for the past 2 years. Dating? I can't belive I was ever dumb enough. I mean, really, all dating is is legalized semi-monogamous (semi on her part, never trust a chic! PS....ladies, don't be offended, I know 99% of the guys out there are just as bad as 99% of the girls out there. No need for an equality lesson) prostitution when you REALLY break it down.

Oh, and I love to work out, but since I am all natural, its not very expensive, just time and $25 a month.

Also, I love anything to do with power. If I found a Teslacoil, I would buy it. If I could afford an M1 Abrams, it would be mine. When I see shotguns like the SERBU and other 1-handed pistol type 12 gauge affairs, I immidiately calculate if I have the strength to fire 3" slugs through it one-handed and then consider the price tag+tax stamp,lol. You get the idea.

Oddly, houses do nothing for me. Sure I want a decent one at some point, but they just don't tickle me. I can't launch it at redline, I can't hit a target at 1,000 yards with it, I can't send a ray of blinding light with it, it just...sits there. Some impotent structure that somehow the American public has come to view as the ultimate status symbol, even though it does precious little past the necessary.

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not all are actually addictions but... I enjoy

- Knives
- Bowling
- Fishing
- Hunting
- Audio/Video
- Photography
- Motorcycles
- Muscle Cars

Lets see, what did I forget.... :)

Last edited:

faco

Enlightened
Flashlights
Watches
Knives
Pens
Technology (Macs, iPhone etc)
Photography
Mountain Biking
Kayaking

Many other addictions as well :D

I'm lucky to have the best examples of most of the above but in the last 18 months I have to think hard about upgrading or purchasing extra items I don't really need. I've had some bad luck with $$$ so now I just enjoy what I have and apreciate what I have even more than before :)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Work (I LOVE MONEY)
My career (Law enforcement when I go full time, still all I do besides work)
Knives
Guns
Outdoor type equipment and gear
Technology

It makes me happy to save money to buy and pay for things I need in life (bills, truck payment, rent, groceries, etc) and then save a little (for when the **** hits the fan) and then to be able to spend the rest on stuff I want (my girlfriend, guns, knives, flashlights, new phone)..

I'm addicted to the day to day routine of life. Trying to get through one to the other and be able to enjoy the things that make me happy.

Life is my addiction, everything that makes you happy falls under the umbrella.. sadly it's shared with the crap that makes you moan.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a cure to the addictions trust me,:naughty:

I once went through therapy sessions on completion, I went out and purchased 2 watches 4 knives and around ten lights!:cool:

there that's better I'm cured :)

Last edited:

Hoggy

Newly Enlightened
It makes me happy to save money to buy and pay for things I need in life (bills, truck payment, rent, groceries, etc) and then save a little (for when the **** hits the fan) and then to be able to spend the rest on stuff I want (my girlfriend, guns, knives, flashlights, new phone)..

Wow.. Thanks for reminding me!

My biggest addiction of ALL is finding high-yield savings, checking, or money-market accounts!!!!!!! I don't have much whatsoever, but I'd like to maximize what I got! ;)

I started with Amtrust Direct when they were offering 5.25% APY for their $1 minimum Money-Market account. That was about 1.5-2.5 years ago. Amtrust was down to 1.25% last I checked about 4 months ago.

I'm now with FNBO Direct. When I joined they were about 3.2% APY for high-yield $1 minimum Savings account.. Then they went down to ~3%, then 2.8%, then 2.6%, and are now down to 2.4%. (That damned economy.)
But YET throughout this, they offered a 'Billpay' account that offered 1.83% APY. It's the same thing as a checking account, but no paper checks are possible. (There is still a routing # and account # - you can use that just like a check for both your Billpay&Savings accounts.)
About a month ago, they started offering a 'Visa check card'. Now you can use that card for ANY POS(Point of Sale) purchase - while STILL earning 1.83% APY on what is basically a checking account!!! :hitit:
According to bankrate.com, the banking industry's leading reporting site, IGObanking is still offering 2.50% for their high-yield savings, but who knows how long that'll last. IGObanking also offers a debit card, but from what I saw on the site, they may charge for PIN-type purchase-transactions. I was about to switch to IGObanking until FNBO started offering their own debit card.
FNBO-Direct debit card usage is free for either the PIN-type as well as credit-type purchases (I made sure first-hand.).
I've read up on the CEO of FNBO and found that he didn't get caught up with the recent lending 'problems'.

So...

My answer is without a single doubt:

Finding High Yield Savings & Checking Accounts!!

ARGHH!! You got me started now! I'm sounding like a damn commercial! :banghead:
Everyone, just check out http://fnbodirect.com .
Rather than have your money sitting around in normal B&M banks earning a measly .1 -.2% (or NOTHING) - why not have that money earning 1.83% - 2.4%!!???

Heck yeah - I'm addicted to this high-interest thing! :thumbsup:
:crackup::takeit:

I keep trying to tell these things to my other family members(immediate and extended), but some of them say "I'm not going to bank online", and others say "my savings account is not there to earn money". :hairpull:
I guess it's like trying to explain some of our flashaholic behaviors.. They just don't get it.

Last edited:

STi

Newly Enlightened
Cars
Guns
Auto Knives
Computers
big tv's
Electronics in general i suppose
Fish tank
Call of duty Series
.Whatever new hobby i pick uP

clone7

Newly Enlightened
I just started to collect lights. I started with Knives though, mostly Custom, Busse. swamprat, Spyderco and such.

bluesbeat

Newly Enlightened
Telephones
Electric Typewriters
CD's (mostly Blues)
Community radio
Radios
Stereos
Computers
....yeah, i love most gadgets

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow interesting to see all the varied items. Quite a few similarities though, but the high yield savings was funny but I went through that stage as well.

sardian

Newly Enlightened
I a knife junkie. But I'm not a tactical collector, I like traditional folders of good quality.

A quick couple (of the 400 in my addiction).

IMG_3909-1.jpg

RLF_3916.jpg

AbaloneScout-1.jpg

RedStagCigar.jpg

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Photography
Gadgets
Bags & backpacks (although I have this one pretty much under control now)
Bicycles
Fleece hoodies
Single malt Whisky (not in the alcoholic sense, I drink about 1 glass every one or two months, but it's usually something above average quality)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Besides lighting, I've been obsessed with all of the following at one time or another:

trains (both real ones and HO scale)
other scale models (mostly 1/25 heavy trucks)
electronics (my livelihood actually)
cycling
computers
thermoelectrics (peltiers) and refrigeration in general
gardening
food

Most of these addictions come and go so I'm thankfully not obsessed with all of them at the same time. Also, I've had several other things I've delved into, not as a primary interest, but in connection with the above hobbies:

metalworking (needed to make heat exchangers for thermoelectrics and LEDs
thermodynamics and thermal management (primarily for thermoelectrics but also useful for LEDs)
thermometry (again primarily for thermoelectrics but useful for my other hobbies)
various fix-it skills (electrical work, plumbing, ceramic tiling, concrete)-I need these to maintain and upgrade my work areas

I'm sure I missed a few things I've briefly delved into but lost interest. I still have my coin and stamp collections but really haven't had much interest in these collecting-only hobbies for years. Instead, I like creative hobbies that force you to learn lots of different disciplines. If anyone is looking for a hobby which is both challenging and forces you to learn lots of new things, I highly recommend playing with thermoelectrics. My temperature chamber was actually an ongoing project which took up several years of my spare time. Model railroading is also another great hobby encompassing many disciplines but I currently lack the space, money, and time to pursue it as I would like to.

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
I tend to suffer from hobby ADD. I go all out at one thing, then something else, then something else, then back to the first, oooooooh shinny, then the next. Drives my wife nuts.

I used to be into computers, but now I'm too old to keep up. Then I moved onto home theater, crown jewel is the velodyne subwoofer that got me written up in college 2 days before classes even started :D. My wife worked at BestBuy when she was in college, so I got everything at cost and upgraded two sets of HT, one for the bedroom and one for the living room. So I can no longer justify spending money on HT stuff. Then it was guns. I've had an SW99 for about 7 years, and recently started buying a few more here and there. I've built two AR-15s, traded my brother for a Remington 870 12ga, snagged an Ithaca 37 12ga from my dad along with a Ruger MKI, purchased a Walther P22 for plinking, a Kel-Tec P3AT and laser for the wife, and today bought an SW4516-2. Then, the firearms instructor reiterated how important it is to have good, bright flashlights, which brings me here.

The only thing that has run along side my other hobbies, and continues to come back is early Ford Broncos. I started with a 1973 back in 2004 and now have the 1973 and two 1977s.

Oh, and I love tools. I hate working on anything without the right tool. And I've leaned more than once that paying more up front and getting a quality tool will save you money in the long run. This applies to pliers, screwdrivers, sockets, guns, knives, flashlights; anything that may be useful will serve better if it is quality.

Also, I love anything to do with power. If I found a Teslacoil, I would buy it. If I could afford an M1 Abrams, it would be mine. When I see shotguns like the SERBU and other 1-handed pistol type 12 gauge affairs, I immidiately calculate if I have the strength to fire 3" slugs through it one-handed and then consider the price tag+tax stamp,lol. You get the idea.

You should look into getting an Ithaca Stakeout. It is a short barreled shotgun based on the Ithaca 37. They were heavily used by the LAPD for breach and entry guns and go for between $400 and $600. Best part is, since it was built by Ithaca as an SBS, the NFA tax is only $5 as it is labeled AOW(any other weapon).