What was your prep for today?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I said it once, I'll say it again, I hate working on automobiles! I will now gladly pay a mechanic for auto repair and major maintenance, because I've done my fill of auto repair and maintenance. Poppy, I don't blame you for taking that car to a shop, I would have from the get go--no Rock Auto Parts order. But, I understand trying to save money, and having to do as much as you can on your own. My greasy fingerprints are on several Chilton manuals.
It's not just about saving money, although that is part of it. I enjoy learning about, and tackling mechanical issues. I get satisfaction out of figuring out solutions to problems and putting them into action. I also get satisfaction from having tools that allow me to complete a task. For instance, when I needed a wrench to tighten that brake line, I had it, and it was an easy fix. Without that, I likely would have needed a tow to a shop, rented a car, lost half a day at work, and be inconvenienced for a day or two.

The auto repair shops around here are so backed up, one has a two week backlog, and another three days before they could even look at it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My prep for today was two fold. Actually three. Leaking p-trap at my son's house. I had gone to the home depot for parts. I bought both 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" parts. Turns out the 1-1/4" was correct. Later today I'm going back to swap an empty gas grill tabk for a full one and will return the 1-1/2" stuff.

The second part actually took place a few years ago. The new pipe was about 1/4" too long where it goes into the wall. Some kitchen shears I had in the tool chest for such times were used to cut the pipe to the correct length.

The 3rd prep was teflon tape just in case. It was used to stop a leaking joint.

Poppy

Flashaholic
So one prep really paid off last week.
May of 2021, I bought a LiIon jump starter pack.

1691258023166.png

The saga of prepping my daughter's car for the trip to Florida continued.

The plan was to pack the car the night before, and leave at 4 AM to beat the rush hour traffic around Baltimore. At 4:15 I went out to start the car and turn it around in the driveway, so the final loading could be done.
Opps! Dead battery. I pulled out my multimeter and confirmed.... 10 volts.
I pulled out my jump starter, and it worked!
With the engine running I checked the voltage and it was at 12 volts. Knowing that the alternator should put out 13.4 volts, I was a little concerned. My battery charger was at my son's house, along with my jumper cables. I left the engine running until we left at 6:00 AM. The voltage remained at 12 volts. So I decided that as long as we didn't turn the engine off we should be ok. Even if we did, the starter pack should be good for a few starts.

Computer controlled alternators may not put out full voltage on a dead battery. I got a price on the replacement of the alternator. $800 including labor! So I decided to get a battery charger, pull the battery, put it on charge and see if it will hold a charge. NOPE! I replaced the battery in a Walmart parking lot.

About $120 later, and we were good to go. I checked the output of the alternator, and it was at 13 volts. Happy face :)

In prepping for this trip, I put my multi-meter, a 3/8 drive socket set, a SAE/Metric wrench set, some screw drivers and plyers in the car. I also included a set of reflective triangles, and two traffic wands.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Acquired some (legal) leisurely "relaxation" items for potential barter, as my prep. None of the green stuff. But glass and metal pipes. Again, legal where I'm at.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Ordered up a couple backup batteries for my UV-5R*
Somewhat hard to come by Type C input for charging on the batteries themselves. Little light on the battery goes from red to green when charged.
The charging dock it originally came with is ok ~ the Type C will be easier w/ no charging dock needed.

All the batteries, including the one that came with it, are the larger 3.8Ah units.

*got it for $23 w/ battery

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Ordered up a couple backup batteries for my UV-5R*
Somewhat hard to come by Type C input for charging on the batteries themselves. Little light on the battery goes from red to green when charged.
The charging dock it originally came with is ok ~ the Type C will be easier w/ no charging dock needed.

All the batteries, including the one that came with it, are the larger 3.8Ah units.

*got it for $23 w/ battery
I hope that you have a higher quality HT than that.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

nope,
don't let the price fool you, $23 is an absolute steal with that battery.
Uh, you haven't read the reviews that I have.

A friend of mine gave me one--I would never have it as my only HT. You should try a quality Japanese HT--leaves the ChiCom stuff in the dust.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The menu is involved and it's not totally waterproof.
Other than that, there is little it can't do, actually does a bit more than it should..:sssh:

could I spend $230 instead of $23 ~ sure

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone here read clear through the book One Second After? I bought it years ago, started to read it, but I just couldn't get into it. I guess knowing what was going to happen (EMP) soured it. I need to know, is it worth reading, or not?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Read it a couple of years back. I'd say it's worth reading.
Not about the EMP itself. But how an entire community deals with the aftermath, centered around the main character. Decisions that ultimately are the best they can do under the circumstances. Some of which are random, and very unfair. But Life under the best of conditions is far from fair. So imagine how bad it gets during an event such as an EMP attack.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read it a couple of years back. I'd say it's worth reading.
Not about the EMP itself. But how an entire community deals with the aftermath, centered around the main character. Decisions that ultimately are the best they can do under the circumstances. Some of which are random, and very unfair. But Life under the best of conditions is far from fair. So imagine how bad it gets during an event such as an EMP attack.
Yeah, that's what I dread reading. I suppose I need to force myself to read it--better to learn to deal with a fictional disaster before the real deal.

scout24

Flashaholic
ON the uv-5r... At $25 a piece, you can have redundancy for days. Heck, get the box of 6 from Amazon... Throw 4 or 5 in a faraday cage, learn how to use the other two. I have a programming flow chart for them, I won't own a radio I can't program from the front panel. Chirp is great but makes you lazy. I won't give up my FT-60 or VX-6R but the Baofengs do have a lot to offer for the momey. And, if you enjoy One Second After, try reading Alas, Babylon... 👍

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
ON the uv-5r... At $25 a piece, you can have redundancy for days. Heck, get the box of 6 from Amazon... Throw 4 or 5 in a faraday cage, learn how to use the other two. I have a programming flow chart for them, I won't own a radio I can't program from the front panel. Chirp is great but makes you lazy. I won't give up my FT-60 or VX-6R but the Baofengs do have a lot to offer for the momey. And, if you enjoy One Second After, try reading Alas, Babylon... 👍
+

Sound words from scout.

Got my Type C input spare batteries for my uv-5r while back (3.8Ah) units.
They charge a bit slow from what I'm used to charging, but then full it gives a green light & measures 8.39V, all good.
Type C charging will give more options * just be easier for these units.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a patriotic US citizen, I can't advocate sending money to the CCP/PRC/PLA, our nation's enemy that is at war with us. My best friend, an Extra Class ham, and a wounded Vietnam War combat vet, who should know better, buys a lot of PRC-made radios. He gave me a Baofeng UV5R. I accepted it as a courtesy to him. It's a part 90 type that he programmed with ham and public safety freqs. I don't use it.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I took a day off from work just because. Literally the first time in at least 10 years. My prep was…..: I called my wife fat and dodged flying objects and fists for the last 5.5 hours. I also tested my cardio because when I took off running I had no shoes and the ground is really hot where it's been around 90+ the last few weeks so I was Deion sanders high stepping up out of this house and down the gravel driveway.

I was also poisoned so I'm testing my natural ability to fight off death for when our air/water supplies are tainted by enemies.

Am I joking?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a patriotic US citizen, I can't advocate sending money to the CCP/PRC/PLA, our nation's enemy that is at war with us. My best friend, an Extra Class ham, and a wounded Vietnam War combat vet, who should know better, buys a lot of PRC-made radios. He gave me a Baofeng UV5R. I accepted it as a courtesy to him. It's a part 90 type that he programmed with ham and public safety freqs. I don't use it.
+

Hear you,
try buying an inverter that's not made in China, you'll be lucky to find one made in Taiwan.
Almost all laptops are made there, along with effectively all phones.
I could go forever on this;
point is, it's the worlds* manufacturing location.

*several countries including many US companies