What's in your Bug-Out-Bag?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s in your Bug-Out-Bag?

Weather radios are important any time. Most UHF/VHF scanners can receivers will pick up NOAA weather broadcasts, but nothing beats a weather alert radio. A few scanners also have S.A.M.E. alert capabilities. Worth looking at in a scanner, since that makes one radio perform many tasks.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an Oregon Scientific FRS/NOAA weather radio with S.A.M.E. in my BOB. I forget where I got it, but it was cheap and works fine.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got standard radios in my bags now. I'm not certain if Japan even has something like the weather radios of the US. Here however the first 3 TV channels are broadcast on the upper end of FM and there are a number of bilingual stations including AFN. The multiband radios from CC are nice and pretty small too. Actually I've got a number of BOB items from them, some of the slickest equipment I hope I never need.

Also use a combo radio/cell phone generator/LED light in one bag. I wonder whether the cells will even be usable after a big quake. I'm hoping that there are emergency cells that can be put up quickly or I'll be looking for a satellite phone when they come out here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fella's, try this one one of for size, a bugout...bucket. Got the idea from an issue of Popular Communications. I'm sure some of you have seen what looks like large (plastic) paint/plaster buckets around contruction sites. Well this things make great storage containers for other items! Not only that but they're also very water proof! Right now I'm using one to ease the clutter in bed of my pickup truck (bongee, jumper cables, etc). The next one will hold batteries, strobes, flashlights, radios, MRE's. I bought mine from LOWES.

Think about it.

chiphead

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are inserts for 5 gallon buckets that organize and store tools and goodies. Not only are there cloth drop-in, or drop-over for use on the outside of the bucket, multiple pocket tool carriers, but I also have a multiple tier set of trays, complete with a carry/lift out handle. Don't forget to get a padded seat made to fit in place of the bucket's lid.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry guys I can't resist . . . introducing the Tactical Janitor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

I see your points but I think it would be a better car/truck combo than a portable/out-the-door kind of thing.

-LT

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Absolutely right, LT, but you can carry a lot of radio, first aid, and/or camping gear in one of these buckets. Also, that's a bucket that a lot of North Americans can probably find in their garage. I mean, I love my FatBoy but a five gallon drywall mud or paint bucket costs maybe just a few dollars less and carries a lot more. I can pad the bucket handle with shop rags or small terrycloth towels, and comfortably carry a lot of stuff. Add to that the fact that stuff will probably stay drier in the bucket. Cheap tech doesn't mean it won't work as well, or maybe even better, just that it's not as sexy as something else.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s in your Bug-Out-Bag?

With all the Katrina stuff goin on, have you checked the status of your BOB? If you don't have one, have you now considered it? I have the CountyComm bag and its chock full of everything I can think of

What do you recommend putting in such a bag?

Last edited by a moderator:

turbodog

Flashaholic

Having come back from a trip to the gulf coast, here's what I have to say.

pelican case makes a nice BOB, it is waterproof
thin rope

metal cup (you can boil water in it)
gallon ziploc bags
trash bags
lighter

shoes
socks
pants
shorts
underwear
shirt
bandanna
gloves

toiletry items
toilet paper
towel
bathcloth
hand soap
baby wipes
vicks

playing cards

battery fan

really good water filter
water bottles w/ water for 3 days

long running lithium celled light
needs to be waterproof
ability to float is a bonus

gun

magic marker
to write your name/phone on items
write your name on your CHILDREN. I am NOT KIDDING

leatherman type tool
roll electrical tape

copy of drivers license
$500 cash
credit card

emergency food for 3 days

After seeing the people of the coast after the hurricane, the single most important things seem to be:
1. plenty of clean drinking water, and/or ways to obtain it
2. enough food to survive
3. flashlight for signalling and night use
4. gun for defense

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still haven't found the "perfect" setup and I still have several size bags depending on where they are and where I am.

-LT

(Moderator Note: Edited the link to this thread out of this message, as this message was part of another similar thread that KDOG3 started which I merged into this thread - make sense? :thinking:)

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened

Greetings!

Since we never know when or where a disaster might strike, I have my "Bail Out Bag" with me 24/7 - without exception. Here's how I do it:

First, I carry as MUCH stuff in my pockets as possible without weighing me down too much. This currently looks like:

Keys, Wallet, Sunglasses, Phone, Etc. - The daily "civilized" essentials
Benchmade 710 Straight Edge M2 Tool Steel Folder
Swisstool X Multitool
Surefire L1 (White) LED Lithium Flashlight
CMG Infinity Ultra (Red) AA Flashlight with Lithium AA Batteries (on keychain)
Swiss Airforce Automatic Mechanical Chronograph Watch on arm
Belt Pouch with Sony TH55 Palm Computer (I consider this to be survival equipment, it contains a complete survival library, maps, star charts, calculator, WiFi internet capability, Etc.)

Second, I carry a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon daypack with me EVERYWHERE... it has replaced my briefcase and has the rest of my "first stage" bug-out gear. It contains:

Notepad, Folding clipboard, two mechanical pencils (0.9mm) + spare HB leads
Benchmade 710 Straight Edge CM-154 Stainless Folder
Small 5" x 7" bamboo laminate cutting board
1.5 Liter Nalgene Polycarbonate Water Bottle (ALWAYS full of distilled water)
Surefire L2 (White) LED Lithium Flashlight
6 Spare CR123 Lithium Batteries
4 Spare AA Lithium Batteries
Wall charger for Sony TH55 palm computer
DMT Red (Fine Grit) folding diamond keychain knife sharpener
Garmin Etrex Legend GPS Receiver
Minox 8x32 Waterproof Roof Prism Binoculars
50 feet of nylon climbing utility cord (not rope, but the shoelace-thin stuff)
Boonie Hat
Waterproof Nylon Jacket Shell
3 Days spare underwear and socks
Acetaminophen tablets
"Bathroom in a box" (Pelican 1030 micro case containing toothbrush, washcloth, unbreakable comb, and 4-Oz. Nalgene spice bottle full of Dr. Bronner multi-purpose liquid soap/dental soap/shampoo.)
Phoenix Arms .22LR pistol and 50 spare rounds of CCI Velocitor Ammunition
2 Days worth of food/nutrition bars - rotated regularly by eating/replacing
20' fishing line and 3 small hooks in an empty plastic fuse box
10 - One Gallon size ziplock baggies
3 - Large, thick, black trashbags
Lighter and 2 small books of matches
Toilet Paper and Napkins

For entertainment:
Checkbook-size magnetic chess set
Book-o-the-week

All of this is heavier than I'd like, and I will probably be shifting the contents a bit in the future - but overall this is a good "quick and dirty" bug out kit and I won't go anywhere without it at this point. It is enough to get me back to my house from any place I travel to locally in the event of an emergency, where I can retrieve larger kits prepared and stored in full-size backpacks... provided my house still existed to go back to! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened

After watching the events unfold in New Orleans, I've become much more aware of the dangers I face living in the California Bay Area. With that in mind I'm starting to set up a real diaster response kit.

Since the obvious danger is from Earthquakes, one of the things I wanted to keep in mind is emergency response and rescue type of equipment, in my online searches, I came across this:

http://www.seatekco.com/fs-303.htm
FS-303-06-1.jpg

It's a folding hacksaw that should easily fit in an emergency kit. Just passing along something that seems like a useful product

Racer X

DBrier

Enlightened
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is CD/DVD backups of important computer info. Family pictures, insurance/tax info, phone numbers/address, etc. The stuff you couldn't replace if you house was gone when you got back.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitive list of Bail Out Bag essentials?

I'm curious to find out what the best general contents for the average size BOB would be. I use the CountyComm BOB as my "WTSHTF" bag. Is there respectable website that has a good list?

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: Definitive list of Bail Out Bag essentials?

You would be best off reading the information already out there, both on CPF and a place like Equipped.org, and then figuring out what applies to you, so you can adapt your kit to suit your needs. The ETS forums are pretty good, if you ask me.

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened

You first need to define the use of your BoB. A get home bag? A 24 hour bag? 48 hour bag? Although you will encounter many lists and probably get a number of recommendations - focus on absolute essential first (water, concentrated energy food, hasty shelter, matches) and then work-in other items as space, weight and scenario suggests/allows.

brough

Newly Enlightened

I ordered this last week, but as a casual bag for daily use. Also picked up some other odds and ends, such as the SPORK (!!).

The TacPac looks like an essential EDC item:

http://countycomm.com/TACPAC.htm

Includes a N95 dust mask.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want to setup my bag as a general "grab-n-go" bag. I would like to be able to stock it to be usefull for any kind of emergency.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

The normal essentials:
Water, food, firestarter (2 is better), multitool, papacord, firstaid kit, Cash, water purification, some kind of shelter (small tent, Millitary poncho ect) and a space blanket or two, a small long running flashlight with spare batteries.

Depending on what exactly its for you might want to inculde: A change of cloths, A cooking pot, More water (you really cant live without it), A container of gas in your car, comfort items (like a book, games ect)

I may have missed a thing or two. Its really early for me.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cordage of some type is invaluable, I prefer hunters hunters decoy cord to paracord myself.