What's so great about Surefire?

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
I really get what you're telling me... as a gun guy and a car guy I know about feel, optimal design, balance, the integration and interaction of the parts, and all those attributes that make something stand out from all the others. I will make it a point to handle some Surefires and add some to my neophyte collection. Hmmmm, maybe an LX2 :thinking:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I really get what you're telling me... as a gun guy and a car guy I know about feel, optimal design, balance, the integration and interaction of the parts, and all those attributes that make something stand out from all the others. I will make it a point to handle some Surefires and add some to my neophyte collection. Hmmmm, maybe an LX2 :thinking:

The LX2 looks and sounds great by all accounts! I'm still not comfortable with spending that much on a single light yet, but I've gotten hooked on the Surefire gateway drug.... the E-series. The lego options are fantastic, I'm piecing together a couple of E-series based lights (with Surefire and 3rd party parts) and this will be the beginning of my Surefire affliction. I think the LX2 head is E-series compatible, by the way! :D The tailcap definitely isn't though, unfortunately.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
What some othere advise here is to buy one, and see if you like it.

If you like nice things, Guns, cars and the like, I think you will love Surefires.

I agree with the others in that an LX2 would be the perfect place to start.

You will not be dissapointed. If you do not like it, they are easy to sell.

Good luck,

RL

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
... but I've gotten hooked on the Surefire gateway drug.... the E-series. The lego options are fantastic, I'm piecing together a couple of E-series based lights

I've searched here and on Goggle but remain confused as to "lego options." What exactly does Lego mean? Clearly it refers to custom build, but is it an acronym or what?

And if I've neglected to mention it, many thanks for all the valued input. As in all new pursuits there is a learning curve, but this forum is the best learning tool with its great reviews, discussions, and a search function that works so well. lovecpf

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very informative and useful, but I doubt the statement that type 2 HA is no harder than bare aluminium. Both type 2 HA and type 3 HA create a layer of alumina, a very hard oxide of aluminium. Type 3 HA has a much thicker layer and hence is more durable. Bare aluminium is incredibly easy to scratch (as is my titanium watch). As an aside, alumina will form naturally on freshly exposed aluminium (a bit like rust), forming a hard but very thin layer.
There is no such thing as Type 2 HA. Only type 3 is hard anodized.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'd actually like to thank the OP for his even-minded initial post for this thread - I'd say that this is one of the better 'what's so great about SF' threads because the initial post wasn't written in such a manner as to invite extremists from both camps as is common for these threads. I'm impressed with the civility of the discussion in this thread - or maybe just the non-SF people haven't come across this thread yet? :sssh::tinfoil:

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
"Lego options" is an analogy to the toy blocks that were the one toy my two (now grown) sons played with for an extended time.

The ability to mix and match bodies, tailcaps, and bezels in many combinations is one attraction of the Surefire and is similar to the joy of making your own Lego toy.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
This link is great, read it all from start to finish and you will find out what the lego is all about. i keep this shortcut on my desktop so i can have a look when ever im dreaming - still on the one surefire at the mo, itl change soon though........

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234418

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefires are made in the U.S.A. (one of the few companies left). Build quality is about as good as it gets. They use the best aluminum, anodizing is thicker than everyone elses, lumen ratings are modest and not exaggerated, threads are deeper and wider (they last and don't crossthread), and they are built tough enough to survive the recoil of a gun, being run over by a car, or being dropped down a garbage disposal (as one CPF member recently discovered). The HAIII lights can saw a maglite in half. They are made to be upgradeable and easily modified with different heads, strike bezels, drop-in bulbs, and tailcaps.

They are, however, about the most expensive brand so if brightness or efficiency is more important to you than build quality or durability, then you may be better off going with another company. Not everyone needs a bulletproof light that costs a fortune. Some just need a light that turns on when you need it to. However, in the long run, it's usually cheaper to have a light that lasts a lifetime than to buy a cheap one every time the last cheap one stops working (unless you lose lights a lot).

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefires are made in the U.S.A. (one of the few companies left). Build quality is about as good as it gets. They use the best aluminum, anodizing is thicker than everyone elses, lumen ratings are modest and not exaggerated, threads are deeper and wider (they last and don't crossthread), and they are built tough enough to survive the recoil of a gun, being run over by a car, or being dropped down a garbage disposal (as one CPF member recently discovered). The HAIII lights can saw a maglite in half. They are made to be upgradeable and easily modified with different heads, strike bezels, drop-in bulbs, and tailcaps.

They are, however, about the most expensive brand so if brightness or efficiency is more important to you than build quality or durability, then you may be better off going with another company. Not everyone needs a bulletproof light that costs a fortune. Some just need a light that turns on when you need it to. However, in the long run, it's usually cheaper to have a light that lasts a lifetime than to buy a cheap one every time the last cheap one stops working (unless you lose lights a lot).
Good post, I agree with almost everything... While not everybody may "need" a SureFire, not everything is about needs, this a hobby after all. Having said that, there is not a single valid reason for anyone who is serious about this hobby not consider having at least a single SureFire light in his/hers collection. Or anyone who appreciates a quality tool, for that matter.

Gatsby

Enlightened
My reply to the linked E1L post says a lot of what I think... but here is a slightly different take. I resisted Surefires for a good bit of time - I had an E2E probably 5 years ago which I sold because I just didn't use it enough (I hated running through CR123s at the pace the E2E runs through them and hadn't figured out different lamp/rechargeable solutions or cheap cells online).

I was firmly in the Arc camp at that time - and my LSHP with the 2xAA body was a great utility light/edc combination. I was convinced LEDs were the way to go and only had a Streamlight Strion for higher power/throw which outpaced the LSHP (which IIRC was maybe 25 or so lumens, my how times change). Then I had an Arc4, and an HDS and I still love my Novatac 120P. I've bought, sold and traded a good number of lights and started rethinking trying out a Surefire again after seeing the E1L dual mode and its size. I like at least two levels and the E1L was smaller than I expected and I just picked one up on an impulse. And was quite surprised. It is a great little light - which led to a 6PL, an E2L, an L1 and a Milky Creemator KX2 mod.

So what is it about them? Much has already been said which I agree with, but one thing I'll throw out is that they have a very impressive tactile feel to them - the build quality, the knurling, the HAIII (or type II for the 6P), the threads, the fit and finish, etc... all exudes not just quality but an almost intangible feeling of well considered design and function specific engineering. They just simply "feel" really good.

An additional advantage is that they are great platforms for other stuff - I have my 6PL bored and a McClickie tailcap installed and it is a great host for P60 drop ins. I have a couple different bodies for my Creemator - a Vital Gear FB1 and an E2 body that accomodates a 17670, and just added a Fivemega 18650 body which I need to get an AW IMR 18650 to give more oomph to my Creemator. But the KX1 and KX2 respectively (and I run the KX2 E2L dual mode head on the E1L body a good bit with an RCR123) are in their own rights very useful lights.

The L1 is an intereting bird - a bit oversized for a 1x123 light - not appreciably brighter than my E1L and my E2L is equally bright... but I do see the appeal of the UI and like the others I still put it in my work computer bag as a backup and use it from time to time because it sure does "feel" great! I remain on the lookout for a KL1 modded head and a McE2S tailcap which would replace the L1...

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another good thing about surefire is when you accidentally throw your A2 onto concrete and blow the bulb, destroying the reflector and lens, they replace it for nothing :D

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
"Lego options" is an analogy to the toy blocks that were the one toy my two (now grown) sons played with for an extended time.

The ability to mix and match bodies, tailcaps, and bezels in many combinations is one attraction of the Surefire and is similar to the joy of making your own Lego toy.

Many thanks for the explanation.:)
lovecpf

lapd.erik

Newly Enlightened
Working in one of the most dangerous places to be a Law Enforcement Officer, I only rock Surefires because i know how tough and reliable they are. Being made in the USA is just as important to me.