What's so great about Surefire?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on everything said about Surefire so far.

Another very important thing about Surefire that CPF'ers know is that Surefire is owned and run by people just like us. They are flashaholics just like we are.

Dr. John Matthews, Founder, President of Surefire, and Head Flashaholic, always carries his trusty A2 Aviator (possibly replaced by the A2 LED?) and is just as intrigued by techie stuff like lights, guns, knives, etc... as we are. He is the one who started the whole tactical flashlight industry. He has been spotted by CPF'ers riding his bicycle with various interesting flashlights and gadgets attached to it.

Paul Kim, Surefire's VP of Engineering, is a fellow CPF'er and a consummate flashaholic who is one of the creative driving forces behind Surefire and everything they stand for. He regularly entertains techie friends and fellow CPF'ers at the yearly SHOT show that is a yearly convention for all things electronic and technical, even to the extent of holding CPF parties where all manner of Surefire flashlights and Surefire flashlight-related info are exchanged and given away. Not sold, but literally given away by Paul to attendees of his parties. He is one of us. Period.

Willie Hunt, Surefire's head electrical engineer, uses his Surefire lights quite often when caving, mountain-climbing, and other extreme sports that require lights you can bet your life on. Also a Flashaholic by nature (or so I've heard...:rolleyes: )

Other people who work for Surefire are also flashaholics, people who use the Surefire products and appreciate the top-notch products they help to create. People who take their jobs of building the best products very seriously.

For me, people like these that make Surefire products what they are, this is most important. That holds more water for me than any ad campaign or corporate marketing ploy. And their commitment and passion come through in every Surefire product they make. Their products exude quality, durability, reliability, and beauty. They are functional art.

I guess I'm just a Surefire fan, man!:D

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
+1 on everything said about Surefire so far.

Another very important thing about Surefire that CPF'ers know is that Surefire is owned and run by people just like us. They are flashaholics just like we are.

Dr. John Matthews, Founder, President of Surefire, and Head Flashaholic, always carries his trusty A2 Aviator (possibly replaced by the A2 LED?) and is just as intrigued by techie stuff like lights, guns, knives, etc... as we are. He is the one who started the whole tactical flashlight industry. He has been spotted by CPF'ers riding his bicycle with various interesting flashlights and gadgets attached to it.

Paul Kim, Surefire's VP of Engineering, is a fellow CPF'er and a consummate flashaholic who is one of the creative driving forces behind Surefire and everything they stand for. He regularly entertains techie friends and fellow CPF'ers at the yearly SHOT show that is a yearly convention for all things electronic and technical, even to the extent of holding CPF parties where all manner of Surefire flashlights and Surefire flashlight-related info are exchanged and given away. Not sold, but literally given away by Paul to attendees of his parties. He is one of us. Period.

Willie Hunt, Surefire's head electrical engineer, uses his Surefire lights quite often when caving, mountain-climbing, and other extreme sports that require lights you can bet your life on. Also a Flashaholic by nature (or so I've heard...:rolleyes: )

Other people who work for Surefire are also flashaholics, people who use the Surefire products and appreciate the top-notch products they help to create. People who take their jobs of building the best products very seriously.

For me, people like these that make Surefire products what they are, this is most important. That holds more water for me than any ad campaign or corporate marketing ploy. And their commitment and passion come through in every Surefire product they make. Their products exude quality, durability, reliability, and beauty. They are functional art.

I guess I'm just a Surefire fan, man!:D

That is a point well taken... Sadly, there is a short supply of such people in business that have a passion for their products and take pride in what they do. So it is good to know that Surefire walks the walk, so to speak.

I would much prefer to buy products from such companies, and can now better understand why Surefires aren't discounted.:(

Reminds me of a family run gun company called Seecamp. They are still hand building their ultra small, double action only, .380 ACP pistols even though there is a usual one and half year backorder. Dealers are charging ridiculous premiums of 50%, yet those in the know wait and pay.

Clearly, there are those of us that appreciate that Old World style quality and workmanship. I've got to hurry up and get a Surefire. :D

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Dr. John Matthews, Founder, President of Surefire, and Head Flashaholic, always carries his trusty A2 Aviator (possibly replaced by the A2 LED?)
Hmm, I don't know if someone could go from using a well-driven A2 incan of such excellent repute to the angry blue emitter that the A2L has been reported to have - the same tint as the venerable P60LED module. :shrug:

GREAT post BTW. I'm happy to support such a company. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 1990-something 6Z, which had innumerable lexan window replacements, then a bezel upgrade to the pyrex window version, and a couple of tailcap replacements, would like to say that Surefire warranty service is above-gold standard. No one touches Surefire for stand-up service.

sfca

Enlightened
Shipping to Canada - no go!

I live in Vancouver.. Anyone wanna trade a C2-bk body for a stuffy of the Olympic mascots?

:laughing:

Somebody do what kramer says.. I'll buy the body off you!

A little off topic... battery junction has the C2-BK for $90 shipped. Keep the body and part out the parts + 10 primaries on the marketplace.

Neck Lanyard = $12
Z41 = $20
Z44 = $20
P60 = ~$7
10x SF Primaries = $20

Actually maybe this is a little on topic, being that the resale value of SF parts is one of my main attractions.

:thumbsup:

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Surefires are just great for every one of the reasons listed above. I think that when you take it to the next level and mod/upgrade a Surefire, you end up with EXACTLY what you want in that torch. For instance: a C2/6P/M2 is pretty much as durable of a light as one could want, and with that platform you can add drop ins for any situation, bore the body for larger capacity cells, add a clicky for momentary control, mount it to a long gun with a tape switch. The Surefire adapts to the level you need it for, that's what's great about them. Lots of lights require a very in depth understanding of electronics/drivers/soldering technique etc. There is a modularity (is that a word?) and rugged simplicity (in most designs) in Surefire that keeps me comming back. I only own 4 Surefires, but 2 of them come to work with me every night.
Chris

lardydevil

Newly Enlightened
I've gotta add my support for SF's. I joined CPF a couple of weeks ago looking for similar answers. I thought there were plenty of products out there with higher lumen ratings for less cash. However, few people can deny the supreme build quality. I have an original 6P and 9P. Owned both for over 12 years. They have been used daily in all weathers, temperatures, been drowned and dropped and have NEVER failed. I was thinking about replacing them as they are looking tired, but they function perfectly and reliably. So after getting a lot of advice from here I've decided to invest in a couple of Malkoff drop ins to improve the lumens. As far as the bodies go; my experience has taught me that they cannot (or don't need) improving. Worth the extra cash without a doubt. I don't know how many other other manufacturers produce flashlights that would still be going strong after this amount of time? I'm a Paramedic so I need the best. Been looking for the past two weeks for something better, but IMHO not found anything. :devil:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
That's exactly it.

If you're shy about the price there are used ones in whatever condition you specify floating around @ the marketplace.

Which, by the way, I'm looking for a new black C2 body.
Man, those C2 bodies are so hard to come by!!
Christo_pull_hair.gif

HA! I have one I'd sell you, but it's not "new". It's used and has a few minor scratches here or there. I parted out the rest of the C2, just never got rid of the body.

DM51

Flashaholic
LightWalker, I have reconsidered your case and your suspension is lifted. In return, I would ask you to take great care in future when intervening in threads with comments that could be misinterpreted.

pm07

Newly Enlightened
For me, its alot/all of the above. I received my 1st Surefire back in 1989 when they were Laser Products. The original 6P. I've been a fan ever since. Now, I said fan not fanboy. I own 18 different SF products from handhelds to weaponlights. I trust my life to them on all my weapons. I have always received excellent customer service and support from them . They have always responded quickly to my calls or emails. Even when it came to repairing a 15 year old weaponlight. Now are they perfect? Depends on your definition. My biggest whine/gripe is putting stuff in the catalog to tease us with, then dropping it from the line. I understand the need for perfection before releasing a product but I hate teasing. I will continue to purchase SF lights as long as fit the mission.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey pm07, what was the turn around time for customer service is 1898 ?
:thumbsup:

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
OK..I'm not a surefire hater, but I find it hard to like them. The cost is off the chart for what you get. I have been able to get several 6P's for a great price, but what I have to spend to get the same output as other companies is a lot. You end up spending almost a hundred dollars for what 60 dollars will get from other companies. Persoally I think 239.00 for a titan that only puts out 70 lumens at the emitter is insane. IMO. I agree the build feels good. I picked up an E1E for a song and gave it back because it was so weak. Many will continue to buy SF bacause of the "Made in USA" lable and I will continue trying to like them.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK..I'm not a surefire hater, but I find it hard to like them. The cost is off the chart for what you get. I have been able to get several 6P's for a great price, but what I have to spend to get the same output as other companies is a lot. You end up spending almost a hundred dollars for what 60 dollars will get from other companies. Persoally I think 239.00 for a titan that only puts out 70 lumens at the emitter is insane. IMO. I agree the build feels good. I picked up an E1E for a song and gave it back because it was so weak. Many will continue to buy SF bacause of the "Made in USA" lable and I will continue trying to like them.

I think you should look into why the T1A costs so much.

Arguing with the lack of innovation idea doesn't matter.

pm07

Newly Enlightened
Dude, thats why you dont let dyslexic .mil/leo near a keyboard. :D Thanks for the good catch. I meant 1989 and Laser Products Inc. Old age is a bear.

Last edited: