What's the best Surefire A2 replacement?

Phredd

Enlightened
Thanks for the link to the lamp life thread. That does make me feel better about my A2. I really hadn't thought about it, but I've had my A2 for six years and I only replaced the lamp a couple times. The comparison between the MA-02 and HO-A2 is also interesting. Hard to choose after reading that thread. I'm a little confused about the brightness, though. The A2 spec was 50 lumens and the HO-A2 says 120 lumens, but they're very close in brightness.

There are a bunch of new listings in all colors up on eBay now. I just bought my third A2. I'm still looking forward to the AZ2-S I ordered, but everyone convinced me that the A2 is the best, it doesn't seem like Surefire is on track to offer a competent replacement, and if I buy a handful of lamps, I'll be set for the next 20 years or so. I just looked up the LS27 and it does look cool. It looks heavy and very expensive (saw one old listing for $620), but very cool.

@tsl, PM opened up.

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you are concerned about lamp availability, you should consider looking around to try to find a fivemega Strion adapter. That gives you several options for (bi-pin) replacement bulbs.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you are concerned about lamp availability, you should consider looking around to try to find a fivemega Strion adapter. That gives you several options for (bi-pin) replacement bulbs.

Excellent idea.

The savings over the years would be huge.

candor

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and yes, the LED rings are extremely easy to swap out, there have been several people design aftermarket one's, however, there's new one's being sold here by calipsoii and they look to be the best by far.

Thanks for this. I haven't been paying much attention lately. Order placed.

Phredd

Enlightened
And hopefully he wasn't too attached to his a2's clip, & much lower low. It's just too bad the A2L didn't measure up, carrying the Aviator namesake.

I got the AZ2-S and it is REALLY nice. I love the tint and both the flood and spot. This won't replace the A2, but it is a keeper. But, you're right, I do want the clip. So, I swapped bodies with an LX2. It's got a big head and the flood is a lot brighter than the A2, but it is a very nice flood/spot combo.

I'd also like to try replacing the A2L 3mm LEDs with a warmer tint and try standing them taller for more flood. I don't even know how to take the head apart without damaging it.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the AZ2-S and it is REALLY nice. I love the tint and both the flood and spot. This won't replace the A2, but it is a keeper. But, you're right, I do want the clip. So, I swapped bodies with an LX2. It's got a big head and the flood is a lot brighter than the A2, but it is a very nice flood/spot combo.

I'd also like to try replacing the A2L 3mm LEDs with a warmer tint and try standing them taller for more flood. I don't even know how to take the head apart without damaging it.

Didn't even realize you could do that, good idea.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think you could still get the 2-stage output of the AZ2 working with the E2e tailcap?

Nope. No two stage with E2e or E2DL body but I like it black throughout. Have to run it on LX2 if I want the two stage.

A264

Newly Enlightened
Hello, the only replacement I found for my A2 was 2 A2s (2 is 1 and 1 is none)

when someone finds an A2 replacement please let me know.
This is what MY A2 replacement needs to be

easy to carry in back pocket head up

built in back up bulb (LEDs)

dual level light

when batteries get low-still have a base line light for several hours

hi mode run time used the least so 30-45 min is fine(IF you KNOW you are going to be in the dark for hours for sure
I would bring C2 wP61, 6P wP60 and G2 wLED and SC1 6batt wP61)

hi mode must be good for depth recognition,given what I( a 50yr old ) considers normal color

hi mode must reach with clarity 50 feet when pitch black in woods or foggy, 75 feet rural setting

it can not be too much brighter due to over powering my environment

low mode must be low enough for night time navigation-find rest room, light switch in a dark room during the day but not blind you

low mode must still preserve night vision

also it needs to help calm me, make me FEEL calm and feel normal even though its pitch black and I can't see anything

AND must be useful other ways IE, improvised impact/compliance tool or a windlass for a tourniquet hammer, wedge, rope pin, etc

on a side note- thanks Norm
I followed it and now have plenty of reading and learning to do
I will try to post in proper threads and stay on track:)