What's the big deal with tail standing?

brucec

Enlightened
Another advantage of tail-standing is if the bezel doesn't have crenellations for making sure it isn't still on, then tail-standing gives you a good way to vertically place the light.

GregU2

Newly Enlightened
I also like the option of tail standing my flashlights, although it is not a must. The Fenix P1D is perfect for tail standing.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light has a low stage then it would benefit as a night light. Also it can protect the switch from damage or accidental operations.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real problem here is that the P3D rolls off the side but can tailstand but my TK11 cant roll off the side, good thing, but cant tailstand.

i need something that does both now

A minimag clip fits p3d pretty well, and stops it from rolling. You may need to use pliers to put it on thou, it's hard to open it that much by hand.

LumenMan

Enlightened
I don't like tail standing tailcaps because the shrouds make it hard for me to press the switch. However, sometimes it is useful to use your flashlight like a candle. That's why I made these water bottle caps that I cut a hole into. I just leave a couple of them scattered around...one in the bathroom, one near my desk, etc. So I can stand up my flashlight when I need to, but it's not a permanent thing.

capstand1.jpg

capstand2.jpg

Tung,

That's a very cool idea :thumbsup: I have to try it :)

Law

Illum

Flashaholic
by experience [not with weaponlights] with the exception of the E2D [EDIT: AND THE BEAST:grin2:] no lights made by surefire can tailstand....inovas can't, streamlight has a few, dorcys can, etc...

I find tailstanding to be the key for "ambient" lighting on demand, regardless of the state of the power grid around me. my solution: keep new rolls of TP in every room....when you need to tailstand, plug it in;)

some lights are a snug fit some will not. compress the roll into an oval then try again.

now not only your light stands, it also added some extra protection should you knock it over onto the floor.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
...with the exception of the E2D no lights made by surefire can tailstand...

:thinking:

Here is my Surefire Beast II doing just that! :naughty:

It tailstands on the fireplace mantle, picnic tables, rocks, docks, tailgates, and more.

img0141ho8.jpg

Taboot

Enlightened
Haha!! +1 - I can change both of my twin boys with my P3D on low and one eye closed and the other barely open!! Unless its a 2xdeuce, then its time to wake up and pay attention:huh:

You wouldn't ask that question if you had twins girls that both needed changing at one am:)

Latest posts