whats the oddest thing you have eaten?

iddibhai

Enlightened
Re: RE: Weird foods

anyone here eating what is i believe called "haeggis" or something, the scottish dish. close counterpart of the south indian "chaakna". if you have to ask, you shouldn't 8-O

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ox tail, octopus, sashimi (raw tuna), dinar dinaraan (sp)/dinaguan Tagalog and Illocano names for the same dish, basically meat cooked in a sauce made with blood, fish brain, goat. I've also eaten a beef jerky with aligator, and some with ostrich. I think that's it. I've seen my mom eat balut but it wasn't for me.

RewopEldnac,
Isn't durian fruit the stuff that has the smell so strong and horrible that it makes you want to puke, but tastes incredible?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

iddibhai-

You mean haggis?

Sheeps stomach filled with oats, onions and what not, then boiled up?
National dish of Scotland?

nope never ate it.

GregR;)

makar

Enlightened

while i was in france i ate the balls of a goat and frog legs. they told me that it was goat-balls of course at the end of dinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

wow ya all have strange taste.i thought i aite odd stuff

d'mo

Enlightened

I ate a deep-fried scorpion, cobra and grilled lizard in Taiwan. In the Philippines, I've had sea cucumber, but passed on the dog and balut (duck embryo).

lux0

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
lol i had spam once in a huricane it was awefull

[/ QUOTE ]

Hurricanes are often full of awe.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm,

Sauteed agave worms (really larvae), ant eggs, fish eyes (I love sucking out the liquid and then gnawing the lens down to the hard little nugget at the center), pig intestines, chicken fallopian tubes (with the undeveloped eggs), cow brains, parasitized caterpillars (in soup), cicadas, deer antlers, deer...um..member, deer lungs, fish hotdogs, all sorts of mushrooms.

I'm Chinese and as anyone who knows the Cantonese...we eat pretty much damn near anything. Most of the truly odd things are reputed to be medicinal or have healing properties.

Wilkey

raggie33

*the raggedier*

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Hmm,

Sauteed agave worms (really larvae), ant eggs, fish eyes (I love sucking out the liquid and then gnawing the lens down to the hard little nugget at the center), pig intestines, chicken fallopian tubes (with the undeveloped eggs), cow brains, parasitized caterpillars (in soup), cicadas, deer antlers, deer...um..member, deer lungs, fish hotdogs, all sorts of mushrooms.

I'm Chinese and as anyone who knows the Cantonese...we eat pretty much damn near anything. Most of the truly odd things are reputed to be medicinal or have healing properties.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ] lol yucky thats some oddd food man

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not too much worse than the stuff that's ground up and put into sausege (remember the outer casing is often intestine), hot dogs, and some processed "meat". And just what is that "formed and pressed meat" or "potted meat product" stuff?

raggie33

*the raggedier*

lol is even sabatas and nathans bad meat there my fav dogs.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Frogs Legs, but I only like white meat, so I usually get the breast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

HunterSon

Enlightened

A lot of the local food on my end can be considered odd, Seal Flipper Pie, Stuffed Caribou or Moose Heart and Tongue (my Christmas favorites), Squid, Caplin, Scrunchins (pig fat fried in pig fat), Dalts (dried seaweed) and lots of stuff I am not willing to try.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Spam is great...

(Warning: If you're squeamish, don't read the rest of this post!)
I've never had (and never will) try the following two "edibles" that I understand some people consider to be gourmet delicacies: live lobster and monkey brains (not together).

I also remember a documentary movie from a college class that profiled an aboriginal (I think) tribe somewhere. A young boy of about 6 or so, caught a lizard that was crawling around on the ground, and popped it right into his mouth...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

A rabbit turd. When I was very little, sixish or so, my brother and his friend's convinced me it was a cocoa puff. I was not quite dumb enough though even at that young age to be convinced the urination in the Fanta bottle was ginger ale. You would think that might have been the dumbest thing I did at that age but no, I urinated on an electric fence on a dare. I won't describe the pain but I still remember it to this day. The things I did to hang around with my older brother and friends...

chumley

Enlightened
A can of greasy Hormel tomales from the machine in the lunchroom where I used to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif