When is the mini maglite pro coming out?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have an answer on Tuesday for these, but we're still doing OK here compared to the ML100/ML125 (April 2010 to September/December 2011)...

Novox

Newly Enlightened
Hi Robin, I've been watching this thread for a while now in the hopes I can find out when the maglite pro's will be available. I called maglite about 2 weeks ago and they said the end of this month, I emailed them from their web form on the same day and they replied "late Q1..." I've also been watching your (I thin it's "your") article "Maglite: New Products for 2011" and saw the update saying they'd be shipping next week (as of 1/12).

Do you happen to have better information on this? I tried amazon search and they don't appear to even have a "coming soon" product listing :/ Are there specific retailers who will be getting these flashlights sooner than others?

Thanks

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make that Friday...he's out of the office until then, so even if I ask, he wouldn't know.

You guys will be the first to know once I get an update...

Novox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I have an unhealthy desire for this flashlight... Like something I should be telling a Dr. about :) But really, is there such a thing as too many flashlights?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
ANSI results are showing 226 lumens for the Pro and 245 lumens for the Pro+, but full specifications will be coming soon.

Both lights are shipping out as expected, but I did not get the chance to ask which retailers will be carrying the lights.

Novox

Newly Enlightened
Damn 245 lumen for pro+. So they are currently shipping, but we're not sure which retailers. I'll search on my own, but if anyone finds out where they're being sold, please don't hesitate to share!

Thanks Robin!

Novox

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to be such a noob about this (as you can see from my # of posts).

I called Mag and the sales lady indicated that they'd be shipping any day now to regular distributors. I mentioned that I thought it was odd that Amazon didn't even mention the Maglite Pro and she said "it's probably because we've delayed it so many times they just removed it from their catalog." I asked if there were any preferred retailers and she said Amazon was good, but to also check "zbattery" I later found out). You guys on this forum probably know all of this, if so, consider this redundant.

I asked if I could buy from Mag directly, she said they didn't even have an MSRP yet, so I couldn't order directly yet, even if I could, she said that Mag charges so much and so much in shipping that she actually recommended against it. She explained that they don't want to undercut their distributors so they intentionally don't make it worthwhile to order from Mag directly (which makes sense).

She suggested I just keep checking amazon and zbattery and eventually (soon) I'll see them available for sale.

Thanks again Robin and CPF!

Last edited by a moderator:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
The XL 200 is a nice light, I especially like the UI on it. It has the same throw as the Fenix E21 with a smaller but brighter spill over. I just don't like the fact that it takes an odd number of AAA's. Anyways, I'm just hoping that the Mini Mag Pro is going to be able to focus down like they have in the past. With a couple hundred lumens that should be greater than 10k cd, hopefully more :naughty: (just an off the wall guess/hope)

Last edited:

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Full ANSI specs now up on Mag's website

I've been pretty anxious the last few weeks so I've checked Mag's website every other day hoping to see something new. The product page was updated with the ANSI testing results Robin mentioned last week. I'm willing to bet these will throw a nice fat hotspot if the ML125 (also XP-G) I have is anything to go by.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Full ANSI specs now up on Mag's website

I got a Quartermaster catalog in the mail today and was surprised to see the new MiniMag Pro in it (for $29.99). I went on their website and they had it up there too http://www.qmuniforms.com/Brands/Maglite/Mini-MagLite-Pro-LED-Flashlight.axd but when I started to go through the checkout process it showed a 2-4 week backorder status. I'll probably wait until Walmart or Amazon start carrying them to pick one up.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened

The product page was updated with the ANSI testing results Robin mentioned last week.

I guess we're getting closer...

I couldn't find anything on how you select the two modes. What do you think - some kind of motion controlled like the other ones, or a twist on-off-on?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's motion controlled by pointing it towards the ground. Not too sure on the details, but I will know soon...

Truejdm

Newly Enlightened

Why can't they give us a date! I want one of these!

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened

It's motion controlled by pointing it towards the ground. Not too sure on the details, but I will know soon...

I can't wait to see how this works. Imagine the light switching modes depending on where you point it? Maybe turning it on in a specific orientation triggers the mode? Should be interesting... BTW, don't know how you do it, but thanks for the inside scoop on Maglite. Looking forward to your next update.

Why can't they give us a date! I want one of these!

Get used to it. Waiting for a new flashlight gets suspenseful, but fun. Welcome to CPF!

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

What if you want to light up something at your feet? I hope they've designed it to avoid accidental mode switches.

The single mode one is definitely something I'm looking forward to though.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XL 200 is a nice light, I especially like the UI on it. It has the same throw as the Fenix E21 with a smaller but brighter spill over. I just don't like the fact that it takes an odd number of AAA's.
I'm not sure I see it as an issue. Eneloops are sold in packs of 4, so you'd have to buy a pack even if you only needed 2. Most chargers will charge 4 at a time and if it really bothers you, just buy a 1 x AAA keychain light, as 3 +1 will now bring it up to a nice round 4 AAA's :thumbsup:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I'm not sure I see it as an issue. Eneloops are sold in packs of 4, so you'd have to buy a pack even if you only needed 2. Most chargers will charge 4 at a time and if it really bothers you, just buy a 1 x AAA keychain light, as 3 +1 will now bring it up to a nice round 4 AAA's :thumbsup:

It's not really an issue, I just find it annoying because I keep a spare set of batteries in my bag for whatever flashlight I take while I'm on duty and 3 is an odd number. But storacell makes a battery holder that fits 6 aaa cells, so that takes care of OCD people like myself :grin2:

Though I am wondering more about this motion based UI on the mini mag pro plus. I like the idea of having a lower mode in a light like that but as long as UI doesn't get in the way. I'm more of a keep it simple kind of guy, not really a big fan of the quark interface where you have to keep re-twisting the head. The motion based idea sounds like a sound idea, as long as it is simple and doesn't switch when you aren't trying to switch it.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
My guess is that if the user wants low mode they point the bezel down and turn on the light when initially OFF. That would be fairly intuitive for the user who's familiar with the gesture/touch based gadgets that have sprung up in the past 6 years. As for those who aren't up to speed with such techno-shenanigans, they will be familiar with the non-Plus(sed) version. Pun intended. :whistle:

Last edited:

Latest posts