Which AAA keychain light??

berlioz

Newly Enlightened
Based off of your requirements, I would recommend the Fenix E05 myself. You're getting an extremely durable little light that's in the $20 range. Yes, there is tougher stuff out there - I was going to recommend that you spend a little more to get an Arc AAA, until I saw the brightness requirement.

As choombak said, it's excellent for close range tasks. Personally, I find that the runtime is a little small. I prefer a dimmer light with longer runtime for my pocket - If I need to do some more serious lighting, I switch to PD20 R5 that I carry in my bag.

I'm a little curious as to what kind of usage your light will be seeing. If it's just meant to be a keychain light for edc type usage, you can get away with going a little dimmer than you're currently asking for. That will give you a little more to work with in terms of options.

If you plan on using your light quite often, like at work, then there are other single mode lights that are a little bigger, but offer significantly better runtime. You sound like you've thought this out pretty well though, so sorry if i'm just reiterating a bunch of stuff that you've already considered. I'm sure you'll make a great choice regardless.

5Sport

Enlightened
Not at all, I appreciate the comments. I'm trying to think this through.

It is a keychain light, as I have many others for specific tasks.

I ruled out the E01 (not bright enough for me) is the E05 much better?

Durable as it will get banged around, and around 20.00 as I can't see spending too much for a keychain light.

A good looking light is always a plus too.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not at all, I appreciate the comments. I'm trying to think this through.

It is a keychain light, as I have many others for specific tasks.

I ruled out the E01 (not bright enough for me) is the E05 much better?

Durable as it will get banged around, and around 20.00 as I can't see spending too much for a keychain light.

A good looking light is always a plus too.
I own both, E05 is on the keys, another one is on a lanyard if I want a light around my neck. E01 is with a 123 battery stash in a pelican case for emergencies.
The E01 Pros: Cheaper, Better Runtime, Bombproof
Cons: Purple Oval beam, Slightly Bigger, Not as pretty
The E05 Pros: Perfect floody white beam, Small, Looks nice, Brighter, Tough
Cons: Not as tough as E01 in a torture test, Runtime is lower (~3 hours)
My E05 has been on my keys, I dunked it for a while in a sink, and it has been dropped a few times, its still doing great. The E05 is noticeably brighter then the E01, but it is floodier so it may not seem like it. I ceiling bounced both lights and both gave me enough light to read, the E05 being noticeably brighter (not a huge difference though).

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just how safe is using 10440 batteries in the ITP EOS A3 XPG? What are the best 10440 cells to use, and what is the best charger for them? Can anyone provide links for both of them?

Jackasper

Enlightened
simple answer to: Which AAA keychain light?? You already answered yourself. ITP A3 EOS upgrade. Stuff a 10440 in it and you wont be disapointed. I have had mine for months and it has taken a beating and works perfectly. To answer adirondackdestroyer's first question, using the Li-ion 10440 is safe as long as when in high mode you remember to do so sporadicaly and not leave it on for long run times. The body is so thin and small that the available heat sinking is minimal and can get a bit warm. Thats my opinion and honestly, i've not had any overheating problems.

flashflood

Enlightened

wire-doc

Newly Enlightened
Arc AAA P. I have had one for 6 years. Never had a problem and it runs forever. Almost.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying a Fenix LD01 on my keychain for some time now. I am very satisified with it. I would have no hesitiation to switch to a better one, but have not come across one that I like better.

:rolleyes: I really like my LDO1 stainless! It's my movie theater light...I totally agree with you LIGHTEOUS! I really don't need any more lumens than 77 that this light gives max. If I need more light I have my E2DL!

Last edited:

5Sport

Enlightened
Thanks all. I pulled the trigger on an E05, and also ordered a M61L all from Battery Junction.

It all pushed me over the edge to finally prder the M61L. So my kids will have to miss a couple of meals.:eek:oo:

Now I can't wait for them to arrive.

You are all a great bunch and thanks for helping me think this through. When it comes to lights, only members of this board and the little voice in my head seem to understand me.:wave:

choombak

Enlightened
Thanks all. I pulled the trigger on an E05, and also ordered a M61L all from Battery Junction.

It all pushed me over the edge to finally prder the M61L. So my kids will have to miss a couple of meals.:eek:oo:

You are all a great bunch and thanks for helping me think this through. When it comes to lights, only members of this board and the little voice in my head seem to understand me.:wave:

Cool. Enjoy your lights. When you feel too much is invested, sell some off, and restart the process - this way meals can be conserved. ;-)

onewarmguy

Newly Enlightened
I can heartily agree with the Itp A3 EOS. I tried the preon and wasn't particularly impressed when it broke off the split ring after only a couple of months. I've had the Itp on my keychain for the last 7 or 8 months now and use it regularly. It's still in good shape and still running on the first lithium AAA I installed, the anodizing has chipped away around the edges a little, but that has had no impact on function.
I'm not a big believer in using higher powered batteries in a light that it wasn't designed for, will it pump out more light? of course, but only if you operate it on high ALL the time, and only for shorter periods. Give me a light where I can buy a battery at the corner store when I need to.
A friend of mine saw what it could do and went out and bought one for his pre-dawn circle checks on his truck, he's told me that it does a better job than the LED MiniMag AA that his company provides in less than half the size and that because its on his keychain he doesn't lose it.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be sure and post back how you like the E05, I know they are a bit pricey but the Energizer Lithium's really keep the already lightweight E05 very nifty and extends the battery life IIRC over twice as long. I can't remember exactly but a member did a runtime test and IIRC the Lithium ran for ~5hrs and alkaline is around 2.5hr, there is a E05 thread somewhere with this info if it did not get lost in the crash. I've had my E05 since it launched and I still have the same Energizer Lithium battery that I use for at least a few minutes a night,my wife still has the same battery in her E05 R2 as well and neither light shows any sign of dimming, a 4 pack will last you awhile to say the least.

Warp

Enlightened
I am very happy with my iTP A3 EOS upgrade.

I have a Fenix P1D as well that I might put back on there. It is quite a bit bigger though

The E05 should do well.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a current, April 2011, list of all the Titanium AAA's out there? Along with LED type and light features?