which AAA LED?

Gretchin

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

I am looking for an AAA white LED for a gift for a 9 year old. So far I'm considering the Princeton Tec Impact II & Attitude. What do you think?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the attitude, and I like it a lot, but as a kid, I wouldn't have liked it because you can't really put a good, solid spot on the wall. He may like the Impact II better.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Attitude is a more useful light (wider beam) but the Impact II is potentially more fun to play with (makes a spot on the wall further away). Why are you looking for such a light? Did the kid ask for an LED light specifically? If not, s/he's likely to consider it pretty unimpressive compared to a brighter incandescent light (say a PT40 and some rechargeable AA's).

notos&w

Enlightened
Wal-Mart sells a pretty decent AAA LED light made by Dorcy called simply the "L.E.D.". it has a rubber grip on an aluminium body. no substitute for an Arc but a decent light at a great price - $5.94.

Gretchin

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Why are you looking for such a light? Did the kid ask for an LED light specifically?

[/ QUOTE ]

She liked the Photon II, but I thought the AAA LEDs would be better since they are bigger/harder to loose, water proof and use common batteries.

Penguin

Enlightened
If she liked the Photon's Output and you want something extremely sturdy and well made, look at the Arc AAA. GREAT LIGHT. It has a 5 hour run time and inexpensive battery. You cant lose with the Arc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Then there's the UK 2-AAA eLED.
You might have to do the battery change yourself (it's kind of a pain in the toliet muscle to do), but it's otherwise quite sturdy, and projects a white circle on the wall instead of the more diffuse pattern that a naked LED would otherwise project.

I have a not-quite-finished page about it right here if you're interested.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
Do you want this light primarily for use as a toy, a tool, or both? A lot of the posts are assuming that the kid wants it as a toy.

paulr

Flashaholic
If she liked the Photon, a tiny little light sounds like the right thing. Also, if you're concerned about her losing the light, keeping her supplied with Arc AAA's could get expensive.

Try www.countycomm.com where they have some Photon-like keychain lights for $1.00 each including batteries.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
I concur that the Dorcy 1AAA LED is a good light and a good value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I "third" that choice - at $5.94 for a really good 1AAA 1LED flashlight - is a great value,
and much more in line with what regular people expect regular flashlights to cost:

fa838c25.jpg

l to r: ArcAAA, Dorcy 1AAA #2, Dorcy 1AAA #1, Ultra-G

please see these 2 threads:
Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)
Dorcy 1AAA vs. ArcAAA vs. Ultra-G

Gretchin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the suggestions and links.

Sockman, it will likely be used as a toy most of the time, but it will be used for camping and hiking trips, so I would like something functional.