WHO ELSE LOOKS FORWARD TO A BLACKOUT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
It says what it says. I don't buy your rationalizing of this. Either way, the point you seem to want to dodge is that blackouts are often dangerous to life and limb and should not be a "hoped for" event to play with your toys.

What no more swearing or bolding?

Picking 2 words I said and presenting them in isolation and not in the context of what I was saying is sketchy. Somehow this doesn't come as a surprise given the context of this thread and the forum your in is lost on you.

For the record, I have not dodged any of your criticism. I have addressed them head on. As I said, deaf ears. :) by the way, I am guessing you couldn't address any of the questions I posed because doing so would expose you for a hypocrite.

By the way, you seem to respond with amazing speed. I wonder, could you have subscribed for updates to this thread? You're funny.

I suggest to you the next time you decide to try to paint someone as being such an abhorrent person, think first.

I don't expect an apology. The absence of a coherent cohesive argument from you thus far will suffice.

:)

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: WHO ELSE LOOKS FORWARD TO A BLACKOUT, OR WORSE, IS HOPING FOR ONE?

What no more swearing or bolding?

Picking 2 words I said and presenting them in isolation and not in the context of what I was saying is sketchy. Somehow this doesn't come as a surprise given the context of this thread and the forum your in is lost on you.

For the record, I have not dodged any of your criticism. I have addressed them head on. As I said, deaf ears. :) by the way, I am guessing you couldn't address any of the questions I posed because doing so would expose you for a hypocrite.

By the way, you seem to respond with amazing speed. I wonder, could you have subscribed for updates to this thread? You're funny.

I suggest to you the next time you decide to try to paint someone as being such an abhorrent person, think first.

I don't expect an apology. The absence of a coherent cohesive argument from you thus far will suffice.

Amusingly, in one of your previous posts you accused me of misquoting you but you actually misquoted yourself when you said, I wrote "or worse, hoping for one". You left out the word "is" which skews things a bit.

In any event, you are new around here and therefore may not be so familiar with the rules. I took issue with the subject and tone of your thread topic. You seem to respond with personal attacks and couched insults which at this point after reading your last post amounts to baiting in my view. Please go read the rules. "Attack the post not the poster", as they say. My guess is that this thread will end up getting shut down, but considering my opinion of the concept of looking forward to a "BLACKOUT, OR WORSE" that might not be such a bad idea.

Last edited:

One missed call

Newly Enlightened

Amusingly, in one of your previous posts you accused me of misquoting you but you actually misquoted yourself when you said, I wrote "or worse, hoping for one". You left out the word "is" which skews things a bit.

In any event, you are new around here and therefore may not be so familiar with the rules. I took issue with the subject and tone of your thread topic. You seem to respond with personal attacks and couched insults which at this point after reading your last post amounts to baiting in my view. Please go read the rules. "Attack the post not the poster as they say". My guess is that this thread will end up getting shut down, but considering my opinion of the concept of looking forward to a "BLACKOUT, OR WORSE" might not be such a bad idea.

I suppose your first few posts here swearing were not in violation of any rules?

My response was civil and to the point. If by personal attack you are referring to swearing at me post #1 and then in response to someone else who pleaded with you to have some perspective, check, check and check! Class act pal. Report away but make sure you include your posts.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

EZO, you really should relax. Even if I am actually actively hoping for a blackout, that won't make it happen. Actions matter, not hopes and desires. Who are you, the thought police? This kind of over-reaction is absurd.

One missed call, know that most of us agree with you, and take the thread as it was intended. If he wants to freak out about it, let him. He can get up on his high horse all he wants...

Norm

Retired Administrator

EZO you really do need to lighten up, this was meant to be a light hearted thread started by an enthusiastic flashaholic looking for excuses to use his lights and to justify to the rest of the family his purchases.
Yes, there is a serious side to blackouts, but your response is way over the top. - Norm

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but wishing for a scenario that is fun for you but brings hardship and risk for safety to others is a bad concept. Everyone is entitled to disagree, but this is my view having witnessed firsthand some of the bad things that can happen during blackouts.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

EZO you really do need to lighten up, this was meant to be a light hearted thread started by an enthusiastic flashaholic looking for excuses to use his lights and to justify to the rest of the family his purchases.
Of cause there is a serious side to blackouts, your response is way over the top. - Norm

Fair enough.

One missed call

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, but wishing for a scenario that is fun for you but brings hardship and risk for safety to others is a bad concept. Everyone is entitled to disagree, but this is my view having witnessed firsthand some of the bad things that can happen during blackouts.

Apology accepted.

Glad you understood it was without malice.

As I said before, I have witnessed many tragedies which resulted from snow storms. Does that mean ski buffs should not want a snow storm here and there. Context is key. After all, this is CPF, right.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

I think people have higher expectations for "entertainment" than they did back then.

Oh that's valid, and more than mild understatement; the amount of stimulation needed to get through one of our modern days would make our forebearers go insane. That's why I used the word "practice", it's something you have to work out as to what can really hold your interest without needing an electrical socket. Books obviously aren't for everyone, but you touched on all the tasks needed to get through the day, having the radio on something interesting while taking care of business always helps things go more smoothly. Not everybody likes to bake, but cookies with the kids can be a fine diversion, and enjoying fresh-baked cookies while playing a board game or flipping through th family album can be a great time. That's part of the benefit of taking part in Earth Hour, you can actively try these things out, see what works and what doesn't, what else you might need to get everyone through an evening without nodding off from boredom.

Norm

Retired Administrator

We're getting way off topic here folks. - Norm

scout24

Flashaholic
Nevermind. Long response typed out, don't want to add fuel to the fire. Let's just say one's perspective changes after a week without power and seeing the results, and I can sympathize with ezo's reaction. Flip the breaker, have your own outage whenever you want... :thumbsup:

Norm

Retired Administrator

We're getting way off topic here folks. - Norm
Chauncey you seem to have missed my post, the off topic stuff has ended your post has been deleted, take it up via PM - Norm

Last edited:

T0rch

Newly Enlightened
Maybe just a little bit, probably because if reminds me of being a kid again. I grew up on the end of the power line, literally, and we'd always have a couple times during the winter where the power would go out for 3-7 days at a time. Breaking out the candle's, flashlights, and Aladdin lamps was fun at the time and made you feel like you were camping at home. Still does.

Jakeyb

Newly Enlightened

This thread really should be started over fresh. After reading all the posts I don't know what to say without fear of offending someone. This could have been a good thread with lots of inthusiastic flashoholics

raggie33

*the raggedier*

sure makes me want to go out to my freinds farm its so dark out there .i love the dark and have had fun on black outs long as no one gets hurt

One missed call

Newly Enlightened

Agreed. What a shame.

By the way, I appreciate most of the responses / private messages I got here after the lambasting I was put through. Glad to see most of you understood the spirit of my posting this thread.

Glad EVO came around and realized with some help he was wrong as I am not here to fight, but rather to share in dialogue of a common interest.

This thread really should be started over fresh. After reading all the posts I don't know what to say without fear of offending someone. This could have been a good thread with lots of inthusiastic flashoholics

Last edited by a moderator:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened

Wow, this thread escalated quickly after I posted. I can see where EZO's coming from but accept that (hopefully!) there's no-one here going around sabotaging the grid just to use their light.

I suppose your opinion of this thread depends where you are in the world and how long your black-outs normally last. I've not had one in about 3, maybe 4 years and, when they do happen, it's usually for a few hours at most.

As I said in my first post, I don't look forward to them because the vulnerable members of society suffer most, that said, it's nice to be able to justify purchases made with emergancy in mind and I don't mind checking on our elderly neighbours (and lending some lights) as long as it means I can use my nice lights!

If you actively look forward to a blackout, where do you draw the line? What winds me up with the hardcore prepping nuts is that some of them (a small %) seem to WANT society to collapse or a disaster to happen so they can get the guns and knives out and play big man. Same goes for gun nuts like George Zimmerman who think they're Bruce Willis and go out of their way to cause trouble. (Emphasis to differentiate normal, IMO, reasonable prepping with those who masturbate over the idea of doomsday).

Bottom line is if you so desperately want to use your lights, take up a hobby that allows you to use them?

There should be a 'can-o-worms' smiley...

Norm

Retired Administrator

Agreed. What a shame.

By the way, I appreciate most of the responses / private messages I got here after the lambasting I was put through. Glad to see most of you understood the spirit of my posting this thread.

Glad EVO came around and realized with some help he was wrong as I am not here to fight, but rather to share in dialogue of a common interest.

Even the OP can't stay on topic and instead comes here to boast about what he seems to see as some sort of win. Thread Closed - Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.