Who has the modded Wolf Eyes M90-13V through Pacific Tactical Supply?

camshaft

Newly Enlightened
Recent surfer to this great site, first time poster...........

I understand that Mike@PTS gives a 10% discount to forum members (very cool)and I was contemplating about picking up this light. This was the first place that I see they have modded the light to include the 3/4 inch body extension allowing the use of 3 LRB150A Li-ion batteries to achieve approx 300 lumens (or so they claim). After some searching, I learned that this is old news for most, but new to me.

I have a couple of questions though, as there was limited search results:

Someone please chime in with recent opinions (in general) of this lights throw and output capabilities. Do u think it puts out close to 300 lumens on the 13v bulb? I read someone claimed it was way brighter once putting back in the 12v while using the 3 LRB150A's.

Can this kit be shipped north of the border? Thought I read something about problems shipping outside of US. I am a police officer in Calgary, Alberta, and unfortunately we are limited (in a city of 1 million people) to basically 1 store only selling mainstream SF's and Streamlights. I havent PM'd Mike yet, but will send him an e-mail from my work tomorrow. I'm hoping he can ship to us Canucks.

Any beamshots of this light yet? I read several people asking but cant seem to find any of this light and its current setup.

Those that have this light, can u give me the dimensions....so I can try to locate a basketweave holster. I'm not sure if PTS sells the basketweave type that will match my duty belt. Or better yet, If there are mainstream Surefire holsters that will fit this light....pls suggest for which model.

Thx very much

majr

Newly Enlightened
Ive used the 13v d36 in the 9d bezel on a 3 cell raider body with 3x rcr123a. It is very bright, I wouldn't doubt if it is over 300 lumens. The beam is very nice, WIDE, wall of light that still has a very intense spot in the middle, or rather the closer to the center it gets progressively and evenly brighter, so that its great for indoors lighting up very large areas but can still throw well outside. I cant comment on the body, extention or shipping up north, but Mike is great to deal with so give him a call and he can answer your questions.

vortechs

Enlightened
I've been happy with my Wolf Eyes M90-13V. It is very bright. It produces a real wall of light that lights up my whole backyard and has pretty good throw too. Remember the 300 lumen claim is the bulb lumens (not torch lumens) for the 12V version of the M90. I have tried the 12V and 13V M90's side by side and I think the 13V version is brighter and whiter.

I've read the same post you have that says the 12V bulb with (3 x LRB150) is brighter than the the 13V bulb with (3 x LRB150) and did not burn out the 12V bulb, but I haven't tried that configuration yet.

Here is a thread about the M90-13V, if you haven't already read it: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113753

camshaft

Newly Enlightened
Thx guys

I may be working a deal with a member who PM'd me that has one on trade. Otherwise I will likely be calling Mike @PTS and ordering one.

Sounds like they are decent lights for the price

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
Another alternative would be the M100X. I heard it throws very good. But for your line of work, its kinda big.:ohgeez:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the tailcap charger for the M90-13V coming my way. That pushed me over the edge for really being into this combo. Internal charging rocks.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone compared the 13V Wolf Eyes against a Surefire P91 run on largish cells (ideally, two 168A or 18650 cells)? Does the Wolf Eyes would produce a brighter wall of light. What about the beam size?

My short-lived G&P 12V G120 lamp assemblies produced a wall of white light more intense than the P91. Unfortunately, I hot-flashed all three specimens, using lithium-ions.

majr

Newly Enlightened
Paul- from my memory of using a p91(on primarys) in a 9p vs a 13v in a 9d on 3x rcr123a is that the p91 was more of a round even spot with good spill whereas the 13v had a very intense center that slowly dropped off farther from dead center, i will try to get a beamshot for you later if I can figure out how.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, majr; I look forward to it.

What ever happened to G&P's promised drop-in 14V lamp, the G140? One of the eBay dealers was showing it listed in a table but aside from one or two Asian sites, I haven't seen it mentioned. By drop-in, I mean that it would screw into the same 26mm and 39mm G&P reflectors as the existing G90 and G120.

majr

Newly Enlightened
oook, I have my cells charged up and ready to go. Is there any particular comparisions you guys want to see? I have available 1x 3cell raider body with d26 and d36 bezels, a 6p and a g2 (and others in sig line) with LAs: p60, 9v d26, 9v d36, 13v d36, ca1499 d26 :rock:; for the ROP: hi/lo, ca1057p, ca1499p, 5/6 cell magnum star.

majr

Newly Enlightened
Some quick shots, I tried to lock the camera settings, but i dont think it worked.
P60 vs WE 13v d36 (3x rcr123a):

P60 vs WE d26 1499 (2xrcr123a):

P60 vs WE d26 9v (2xrcr123a):

P60 vs HDS b42 SX0H:

WE d26 1499 (2xrcr123a) vs WE 13v d36 (3x rcr123a):

What the pics dont really show is how intense the very center of the hotspot of the 13v lamp really is.
Both the 13v d36 and the d26 1499 produce insanely bright white light, but the d26 1499 can do it in a 6p, whereas the 13v needs an extra length of a cell and the 42mm(?) larger size bezel.

camshaft

Newly Enlightened
Damn, those are nice pics

If anyone can explain to me why it is so hard to get this light shipped to Canada I wud appreciate it. I can only get Fedex express to ship it and they want $61 US!! I didnt realize the batteries are considered "dangerous goods" or "restricted items" and therefore they wont ship by ground.

Anyone have any personal experience either shipping a similar light or receiving one abroad?

Help me, find a way, to get me this light.........

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
majr said:
Both the 13v d36 and the d26 1499 produce insanely bright white light, but the d26 1499 can do it in a 6p, whereas the 13v needs an extra length of a cell and the 42mm(?) larger size bezel.

How does one go about getting a 1499 in a WE lamp assembly?
Got a 3.7V D26 I don't use sitting right here:whistle:

vortechs

Enlightened
camshaft said:
If anyone can explain to me why it is so hard to get this light shipped to Canada I wud appreciate it. I can only get Fedex express to ship it and they want $61 US!! I didnt realize the batteries are considered "dangerous goods" or "restricted items" and therefore they wont ship by ground.

Anyone have any personal experience either shipping a similar light or receiving one abroad?

You could always order the light without batteries and just buy batteries locally.

Regarding the issue of shipping lithium batteries:
The US Department of Transportation has ruled that boxes of Primary lithium batteries cannot be shipped by air as cargo on passenger carrying aircraft. They can be carried on cargo aircraft that do not carry passengers. There are also some exceptions in the rules that allow them to be shipped by air on passenger aircraft if they are included within the device the are intended to power and the amount of lithium is not above a certain amount. I am not aware of restrictions on the ground transport of primary lithium batteries in the USA.

majr

Newly Enlightened
a 3.7v d26 is exactly what i used as well, it poped when i accidentally loaded it into a light with 2 primaries. first you need to pick up a few 1499 bulbs, which are all but unubtanium until litho gets his shipment in a month or 2, then you need to carefully but forcefully break the LA apart, when/if you pop te bulb hold a rag over it so you dont get glass shards all over your room like i did, then just hack the old junk out of the base, rip the soft putty out and cut/drill away any expoxy blocking your path. cut and bend the legs of the 1499 to the original posistion of the filiment(pain!) to get the focus how you want solder it in without burning your fingers, regoop it if you please, and line the relector back up and glue it back in place, hopefull when it broke apart it did it in a convinient way. a total pain to do but the result is a LA that works in lights as small as a 6p on 2x rcr123a, i estimate runtime to be 12-17 minutes like that, it does work better on 2x18500(unprotected until AW gets his new ones next month)

good luck if you choose to try it, just dont rush it

vortechs

Enlightened
majr said:
a 3.7v d26 is exactly what i used as well, it poped when i accidentally loaded it into a light with 2 primaries. first you need to pick up a few 1499 bulbs, which are all but unubtanium until litho gets his shipment in a month or 2, then you need to carefully but forcefully break the LA apart, when/if you pop te bulb hold a rag over it so you dont get glass shards all over your room like i did, then just hack the old junk out of the base, rip the soft putty out and cut/drill away any expoxy blocking your path. cut and bend the legs of the 1499 to the original posistion of the filiment(pain!) to get the focus how you want solder it in without burning your fingers, regoop it if you please, and line the relector back up and glue it back in place, hopefull when it broke apart it did it in a convinient way. a total pain to do but the result is a LA that works in lights as small as a 6p on 2x rcr123a, i estimate runtime to be 12-17 minutes like that, it does work better on 2x18500(unprotected until AW gets his new ones next month)

good luck if you choose to try it, just dont rush it

Wow, sounds like a lot of hassle. I've got a couple of D36 LA's with burned-out bulbs that I suppose I could try this with sometime.

majr

Newly Enlightened
certainly wasnt a quick and easy swap. i think the most frustrating part was trying to hold the bulb while getting a soldiering iron past my fingers into the base to soldier the legs down while holding the bulb in the exact right position for filiment height. and the soldier just does NOT want to stick to the bulb legs, anyone have some advice for getting the solder to flow to and stick to the bulb leads?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
majr said:
then you need to carefully but forcefully break the LA apart, when/if you pop te bulb hold a rag over it so you dont get glass shards all over your room like i did, then just hack the old junk out of the base, rip the soft putty out and cut/drill away any expoxy blocking your path. cut and bend the legs of the 1499 to the original posistion of the filiment(pain!) to get the focus how you want solder it in without burning your fingers, regoop it if you please, and line the relector back up and glue it back in place
:eek: Thanks, but I think I'll just stick with standard WE and Digilight 9V stuff for my LA upgrades!

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
The only thing I can offer for ideas is a parcel forwarding service and even then I cannot speak with regards to shipping such a product from the States. You may have to get a friend in a border town help you to ship these products to Calgary ... and that's a pain in the rear plus it incurs extra costs.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20166

The other option is to contact the maker of Wolf Eyes and see if they have or are working on a Canadian rep/retailer. There are some Canadian flashlight websites out there that i've seen. You may be able to email those sites and ask if they could procure one for you at a decent price plus shipping ... that may be cheaper than paying 61 bucks for fedex.

I'm also looking at this flashlight but i'm in the Greater Vancouver area so it wouldn't be as much of a problem shipping it just across the border and picking it up on a day off or when i'm going to a Husky football/hoops game. Or my bro could pick it up because he goes down across the border fairly often.

Good luck.

camshaft said:
Damn, those are nice pics

Help me, find a way, to get me this light.........

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
If you're after a Canadian dealer, how about asking these guys if they can get it for you?

No experience of dealing with them myself, but I gather others on this forum have bought from them.