Who is actually afraid this will happen?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife knows all about my flashlight and knife collections, and usually doesn't buy me a knife or flashlight unless she sees it on my "favorites" list on Internet Explorer or on one of my "to buy" lists. This year for Christmas (we already opened our presents) she gave me a damascus Boker knife and a flashlight. The knife was over $200, and she got the flashlight free as a gift/promo item at work. The light was as much of a gag as anything as it is a little self-powered LED "pumplight" and is prety cheap, and she knows how much some of my flashlights have cost.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you here who's spouse or GF/BF is a non flasholic and knows nothing about flash lights. Do you worry your SO will buy you a light this Christmas or on your birthday and expects you to use/carry it as a main EDC light, only that the light's performance is nothing compared to your EDC? And that you can't bear to modify it or not use it as a main EDC cos it will seem like a disrespect for her good intention?
No.
First of all my SO doesn't know the first thing about flashlights; second, if that somehow happened I wouldn't consider it a gift to be forever kept in the exact same condition as it was given. My SO knows I mod the hell out of everything I can lay my hands on, so she'd surely expect something like a stock flashlight to be merely a starting point for some interesting project. :p

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more afraid of having to implement my zombie plan while opening Christmas gifts. The odds are about the same and the consquences are much more serious if a zombie outbreak occurs.

If I were in a relationship with such poor communication that we couldn't talk about something as minor as a light I've got problems. If in addition carrying and using that light everyday became some kind of test of the status of the relationship, those problems are even worse.

Once I either fixed the relationship or showed her to the door the light would become a non-issue. ;)

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
My wife has given me some very nice flashlights. I carried a Sapphire keychain light until it more or less disintegrated.

I'd be happy with anything she gave me, and I'm sure I'd have a use for it.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've received $1 lights as gifts before. I know the party who gave them to me meant well, so I just said "thank you!" and put them on the shelf. No harm done. :)