? - Why do I even NEED an incandescent now?

avusblue

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
Sorry to sound like this. Why does it seem that everyone wants throw. Now sometimes I want throw but I usually find a medium to flood beam that is clean to be most usful to me 80-90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't need throw in every compact light I own, but I want it in at least one. I think that one still has to be incandescent for a while longer, but hope to be soon proven wrong. Anyway, for me it'll be a G2 to serve in that role, as my last incandescent.

(A Space Needle II will outpower and throw a G2, but it is a significantly larger carry.)

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you can always have a good throwing beam, and that same beam can have a large sidespill that should still get the job done...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I have to agree that 95-99% of the time you don't need an Incan. However when I hear something in the brush or in the field I want as much distance to see it. For price, size and distance I don't think an LED will match a Scorpion or other (E2, G2...) 2-123 incan.

My family switched from Mini-Mags to 3Led Tek lights 4 or 5 years ago when the LEDs were 3x the initial cost of the MM. However w/ battery changes and lamp changes it took about 2-3 months for payback. We use our lights ALL THE TIME (in the dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Now with widely available, reasonably priced Infinity Ultras and Attitudes etc, etc, etc. The only Incans most need are for pocketable spoting and tactical use.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time, we don't need an incan. The upcoming LS4 may eliminate the need for an incan. There are occasions when something like a scorpion or legend LX is useful, but, I find that need to be rare.

Throw: I find that the Versalux PR-2 in my 2D Mag throws very well indeed.

LED lights have come a long ways, from the squeeze 'keychain' lights.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
When a Space Needle II starts to beat things like an Ultrastinger and a G2, you know there's just tiny little step beyond that horizon that'll take LEDs to the step beyond incandescents...

The application where incands reign most in: throw, is being threatened by V and W binned LSs... In the next generation of LSs beyond the 5Wers, the revolution should be full bloom...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Latest posts