Why is the SureFire 6P so good?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
FiveMega_18650.jpg

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
6P_1.jpg

You are right, I meant to comment that it's a 6P FiveMega clone, it's outer dimensions are exactly that of 6P but it can take a 18650 cell. In other words, it looks / acts like a 6P but can also take this Li-Ion in addition to 123, I like that. In fact I like the knurling a little better than stock as it has no flat sides and is a little more aggressive.

In any case, I tried many things but 6P or 6P clones make perfect EDC. It's just the right size and fit my hand perfectly. I tried 9P and thought it was just a bit too large - kept falling out of my pocket.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
You are right, I meant to comment that it's a 6P FiveMega clone, it's outer dimensions are exactly that of 6P but it can take a 18650 cell. In other words, it looks / acts like a 6P but can also take this Li-Ion in addition to 123, I like that. In fact I like the knurling a little better than stock as it has no flat sides and is a little more aggressive.

In any case, I tried many things but 6P or 6P clones make perfect EDC. It's just the right size and fit my hand perfectly. I tried 9P and thought it was just a bit too large - kept falling out of my pocket.
I have one of Fivemega's 1x123 E-series bodies. Pretty nice.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am a 6p fan
I carried one every night for around 6 years as a security guard, I still have it on my bedside table too, and it is currently waiting for a led dropin probably a p60l or a malkoff m61wl
I also have one with a kl3 head, an old round body in very good condition and a g2 floating around the house

They are a very versatile light, big enough for a god grip but small enough to be carried everyday and bright enough to do almost anything you need a flashlight for
Them there is the modular nature of the design, change lamp assemblies, add spacers, change switches and you should be able to find a combination that fits your needs

I am looking forward to my newest light an oveready 9p that is waiting for a moddoo triple
Although the triple might see some usage in my old beaten 6p too - I'm pretty surefire never intended to have a 700l 6p

Xacto

Enlightened
I am. She will be getting the Surefire E2DL, so she can leave the bezel print in the forehead of some nut!:thumbsup:
That is the reason why I like the 6p series so much. :whistle::thumbsup: And the best thing is - if the bezel keeps sticking or the bulb is damaged - everything can be exchanged.

Cheers
Thorsten

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
P90 w/ 2x 16340 3.7 V cells or P91 w/ 2x IMR16340 cells, depending on whether you value brightness or runtime more.

Yep the 2xIMR16340s with P91 - most bought on the market place for as little as 2/$15 shipped (I did a WTB), than put a AW softstart 3 level switch in the tail. I use it in an industrial site & keep 2 sets of spare batteries in my drawer.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my trusty 6P for all of the reasons listed above...looks cool, feels good in the hand, unlimited possibilities for upgrade. My 6P has had many LED drop-ins over the last few years, as of right now, it has a Malkoff M61.

I have a C2-HA coming in the mail which should get here in the next couple of days. I'm a little worried that my old friend the 6P will get neglected...it will always have a special place in my heart though. And something tells me I'll be able to find time to use it in one form or another.

TwitchALot

Enlightened
What surprises me is that the 6P uses type II anodizing instead of type III. Otherwise, I'd be far more interested in it. Anyone know why this is? Does the anodizing difference make a 40+ dollar difference?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
What surprises me is that the 6P uses type II anodizing instead of type III. Otherwise, I'd be far more interested in it. Anyone know why this is? Does the anodizing difference make a 40+ dollar difference?

I have thought about this myself. I'm not really sure why any surefire lights use type II, why not make all lights type III? A type III 6P would be pretty sweet though.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking at the FiveMega body in my pic above, which is type III, it has held up really well and still looks almost mint. The Surefire tailcap, Z41, has noticeable wear however. The type II doesn't hold up to intensive wear. Thinking of taking the whole thing and putting some kind of tough finish on it, like NP3.

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have thought about this myself. I'm not really sure why any surefire lights use type II, why not make all lights type III? A type III 6P would be pretty sweet though.

1. Cost. HA is more expensive.
2. Cosmetics. Natural HA results in multi-shade lights, black HA does not wear as well as natural Ha.
3. Function. Type II vs. type III is, I submit, a cosmetics issue. It doesn't affect the light's function or service life. I honestly don't see any compelling need. I have in my pocket right now a 6Z that I bought in/around 1998 and it still works perfectly, and its finish wear doesn't keep it from being my best choice for its EDC role.

I guess YMMV, and that's fine.

nanomu

Newly Enlightened
I think 6Ps look cool with some wear on them myself...

Thirded!

I love my 6P. It's the definition of a "standard light". It's not fancy, and that's exactly the point. I don't feel badly for getting it beat up or dropping it. I feel like I'm probably the only one who still uses the stock P60 bulb, which I still find useful. Why is it still popular? Just look at all the modding and lego options.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock P60 puts out a beautiful beam, and is very useful...I just couldn't afford to feed it. Aftermarket drop-ins solve this problem.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thirded!

I love my 6P. It's the definition of a "standard light". It's not fancy, and that's exactly the point. I don't feel badly for getting it beat up or dropping it. I feel like I'm probably the only one who still uses the stock P60 bulb, which I still find useful. Why is it still popular? Just look at all the modding and lego options.

I've switched my 6R back over to P60s. I forgot how good it was, and now I don't have to pay to feed it. :D

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
I am a 6P fan I acquired a second hand one with an led drop in .But my question is this if I get another 6P can I run it with a 9p bulb and re-chargeable batteries
I was thinking that 2 RCR 3-7 volt cells would work but I am not technically minded so would appreciate any advice from those in the know:D
Cheers

Last edited: