Why so much hype around Malkoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering the Malkoff M61 drop in for my Surefire C2. Only because it seams to be the highest quality led drop in I can find. I would however like something with slightly lower lumen output so as to increase the battery runtime. I use this flashlight for camping and light duties around the house. Any advise?

I would suggest either the M361 or an M61L or LL variant.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is true, but the comparison is better defined as the difference between using a TIR lens vs. a reflector.

I have a M361LMH drop-in, a M61N drop-in, a M61T head (TIR) and a Hound Dog 18650 N head. I prefer the reflectors for general use, but the TIR lens focuses the lumens in a tighter cone which is great for certain applications

Thats what I meant by the difference between them, just taking for granted that people around here know the different dropins and lights from Malkoff. I intend to buy either the M61T or HOT, leaning towards the T

moozooh

Enlightened
I see nothing wrong with Malkoffs, but their fans so very often present themselves as something between amusing and mildly off-putting. I mean, in this thread alone, you needn't look any further than the first page for a convincing illustration to this point.

I left mine outside on low turned on when a snow storm was expected over night. Next morning I looked outside and in a howling snowstorm saw a mound of snow on a small table had a slight glow coming from it.

I removed the 6+ inches of snow, dried it off and never looked back.
That low mode blasted right through those six inches of snow and a snowstorm! Is that even a good thing? Because I can't tell...

This may be a personal preference, but the Malkoff brand tends to attract customers who have higher priorities than dazzling ANSI specs. Malkoff devices are tools, not toys.
Pretty sure you don't have to be openly elitist to rationalize manufacturer's decisions. It's not very nice to everyone else. Especially right after one reads this:

Later I gave away a couple of MD2's to folks who ended up locking them up in their gun safe saying "too nice to use, I'll ruin it", or "this is my kids inheritance someday". Whoda thunk a flashlight would be seen as an heirloom?
It's perfectly ok to hype up your favorite brand, but when you go this much overboard it spills into comedy and becomes less convincing as you go. Just a head's up!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I see nothing wrong with Malkoffs, but their fans so very often present themselves as something between amusing and mildly off-putting. I mean, in this thread alone, you needn't look any further than the first page for a convincing illustration to this point.

That low mode blasted right through those six inches of snow and a snowstorm! Is that even a good thing? Because I can't tell...

Pretty sure you don't have to be openly elitist to rationalize manufacturer's decisions. It's not very nice to everyone else. Especially right after one reads this:

It's perfectly ok to hype up your favorite brand, but when you go this much overboard it spills into comedy and becomes less convincing as you go. Just a head's up!

Well thank you on the lesson on how to make a proper post....

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Several options present themselves. You could:

1) Move on with your life.

2) Read a different thread.

3) Buy a different light.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Four words about Malkoff: built for the apocalypse. :D
In some ways not necessarily the best choice for an apocalypse proof light imo. Electronics can fail and with Malkoff encasing theirs in a solid block of resin, it basically becomes a paperweight if even the smallest component fails. There is no chance of repair unlike many other brands that use conformal coatings or just well designed and secured electronics. Remember, all warranties are void in an apocalypse☺️ and you are on your own to fix anything that fails.

archimedes

Flashaholic
No more personal attacks (or baiting) here please.

Let's keep the discussion focused on the flashlights themselves, not the personal character of those who like (or dislike) this particular brand.

Thank you :)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Malkoff lights are like Kifaru backpacks. Expensive, made in the USA and about as bombproof as humanly possible. So a Malkoff is often with me in the woods.

My affection for Malkoff stuff is a reflection of my world view and where I am in life . When LED lights were new and the Great Lumen Wars began I too was infatuated with output. Let me be clear - there's no wrong reason to buy a light! Speaking only for myself as I got more experience with lights my preferences began to evolve. I began to understand the value of CRI and tint and I grew frustrated with having cheap Chinese lights crap out on me at the least opportune moments. When it comes to style I'm a minimalist preferring form to follow function.

A few companies make lights that align with my priorities. A few are Malkoff, Elzetta, Peak and although I don't have a light by them, HDS. They all may somewhat plain looking but tough, reliable stuff that you can depend on.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't call it hype, praise for a sturdy and reliable precision made product. Same reason I love Surefire and HDS.

Not sure why some people try and rain on other peoples enthusiasm, if you've never handled one or it didn't work for what you wanted, by all means post about that but as an owner of 80 or more lights. If you've never tried one, don't knock it.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff ? Yeah he's OK.

Here's my old copper drop-in for a D cell Maglite.

Still works fine.

kOcCmo7.jpg

tom-

Enlightened
Yeah guys; why would anyone buy a light that would let you see something for even 3 minutes then step down to at least three times the level of the brand under discussion.

None of my Fenix lights have been functionally damaged by a drop and , many will continue to run on a single led powered by less than a full compliment of batteries and none have presented any issues at all.

Like another here am somewhat amused by the level of enthusiasm for a light which costs so much and yields so little, relatively speaking.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you're kinda doing exactly what you're making of other people for doing aren't you. I assume the OP is curious about Malkoff lights or else why start the thread. People like dif stuff and speak highly of Malkoff for the reasons that have been stated. You obviously like Fenix. Sweet, keep buying Fenix and don't worry about reading the various junky threads for this brand or that. I like Fenix too and have thought that I wouldn't need any other light which may be true. But I can call the number on the Malkoff website and Gene himself will answer. He will actually answer my questions and take time to help me out. He also has pieced together lights for me that aren't even on his website. That's pretty rare these days. Customer service is amazing. So asking why people like something is great. Making fun of people because they're into something is just lame.
Yeah guys; why would anyone buy a light that would let you see something for even 3 minutes then step down to at least three times the level of the brand under discussion.

None of my Fenix lights have been functionally damaged by a drop and , many will continue to run on a single led powered by less than a full compliment of batteries and none have presented any issues at all.

Like another here am somewhat amused by the level of enthusiasm for a light which costs so much and yields so little, relatively speaking.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Another thing to keep in mind is often with gear there is no this vs that in actual use. For example I like to pack a headlamp and flashlight. Here is a 4/7 quark and Fenix HL50.

9XUEsSN.jpg

Here is an Armytek Wizard and a Malkoff MD2.

r8l8y8t.jpg

These are just the tools I decided to pack. If someone decides to pack something different that's cool.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I love my Malakoff Devices lights, they just work. I really like Gene's implementation of high and low with 1/4 turn of the head.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fenix makes both sturdy and light duty lights, but they wouldn't stand up to the torture that a Malkoff, Elzetta or Surefire could. Buy what's right for you, if your not putting your light through it's paces for work then you'll never need better than middle of the road quality

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened

Everyone has different uses for different tools. The fact that you can get what you need from a Fenix doesn't diminish that someone else gets what they need from a Malkoff and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.