Why some sellers don't sell their lights outside US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Re: International Shipping - What's so hard???

matrixshaman,
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't think of it that way.
For us Europeans, stuff in the US is much cheaper.
The extreme shipping US costs force us to buy from Hongkong, (even when we don't like it).
An other strange thing thou, When I buy stuff from Amazon, the shipping is about the same as from China.
I bought some guitar building books, and had to pay about $3,00 for shipping. So apparently it is not only UPS?

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened

Eurofolks pay more due to duty, tariffs, and taxes- plus inefficient vendors who know they can charge more.

Another reason US companies won't/don't sell to us foreigners (I'm a Canadian) is due to a mistrust amounting to fear. And for some reason, that particularly applies to Texas. Since the WWW got started, I have made perhaps a dozen attempts to buy something from that many Texas companies and just been told "nope!" I love Texas and Texans by the way, but that is a fact.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened

I always pay up front, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Probably with a lot of US vendors, the "hassle" scares them of ?
I never had this problem in any other country. I order stuff from Australia, Korea, Spain, Italy Greece, GB, Germany, France, never had a problem.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been shipping to international peeps since 2005 and have only lost 2 packages... I would prefer if buyers used a traceable shipping option, but I always offer cheap shipping as well to save them money. I haven't had a single Paypal dispute raised against me since I've been selling in the MP. If one is ever raised against me (and it's inevitable), then I may be forced to change my international shipping policies. For anyone who's interested the packages that were unaccounted for were shipped to Australia and Malaysia.

Shao

uknewbie

Banned
I've been shipping to international peeps since 2005 and have only lost 2 packages... I would prefer if buyers used a traceable shipping option, but I always offer cheap shipping as well to save them money. I haven't had a single Paypal dispute raised against me since I've been selling in the MP. If one is ever raised against me (and it's inevitable), then I may be forced to change my international shipping policies. For anyone who's interested the packages that were unaccounted for were shipped to Australia and Malaysia.

Shao

Kudos to you. Point well made. I have never had a package not reach it's destination, including many I have sent to flashaholic friends in the USA.

I also had a very nice transaction with DimeRazorBack who sent me a mint Jetbeam M1x from sunny Australia, no problems.

Would be nice to see universal world trading, professional and enthusiast alike.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Eurofolks pay more due to duty, tariffs, and taxes- plus inefficient vendors who know they can charge more.

They chose their destiny. It does remind me of how many INSIST that I mark the amount as <$5 and "gift" so they don't have to pay duty....like it is their right to demand. LOL!

Another reason US companies won't/don't sell to us foreigners (I'm a Canadian) is due to a mistrust amounting to fear. And for some reason, that particularly applies to Texas. Since the WWW got started, I have made perhaps a dozen attempts to buy something from that many Texas companies and just been told "nope!" I love Texas and Texans by the way, but that is a fact.

If I had been drinking coffee when reading that, I would have sprayed it onto my keyboard. That is absolutely preposterous.

Several of us have given clear-cut, respectful, and legitimate reasons that international shipping can have significant obstacles, based on real-life experiences.

To see the same people continuing to troll-post on the same issue, ignore the legitimate responses, and now seeing someone interjecting emotional "due to a mistrust amounting to fear" says more about the person writing that than any seller in the USA.

I'm a "yankee" living in Connecticut, who's heart lies in Texas. I'm telling you right now, don't mess with Texas. They are the last remaining bastion of what this country was founded upon.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I'm now hoping that a mod will realize this thread has run its course, and put it out of its misery.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

matrixshaman,
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't think of it that way.
For us Europeans, stuff in the US is much cheaper.
The extreme shipping US costs force us to buy from Hongkong, (even when we don't like it).
An other strange thing thou, When I buy stuff from Amazon, the shipping is about the same as from China.
I bought some guitar building books, and had to pay about $3,00 for shipping. So apparently it is not only UPS?

I believe a lot of things you get through Amazon come from individuals and you may not know where they are located. Amazon can also have some really low or even free shipping prices. I think they have figured out ways to do this and I think some of it is because they have shippers all over the globe. So your $3 shipping might have been low because it was routed through some nearby location. Other possibility is that media mail (like books) is one of the few things that can be shipped in the U.S. at very very low cost compared to other things.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm now hoping that a mod will realize this thread has run its course, and put it out of its misery.

Ahh yea Lux - always wanting to have the last word .... :D

LOL. But yeah I agree this has been discussed enough in the past to get cross eyed over.

uknewbie

Banned

Why? If you don't feel a thread is of any interest to you then don't read it, why would you want it closed?

What is the point in a discussion forum where discussion is prohibited?

Jeez, there are tons of threads I think are pointless, I don't chime in and ask they all get closed. Poor show.

DM51

Flashaholic

The topic is probably worth revisiting from time to time when security procedures and/or other circumstances change, to allow the question to be re-asked and re-answered in light of such changes.

Very clear illustrations have been given of the hoops that members in some countries have to jump through in order to ship items overseas, and the pitfalls they face when they do it. These difficulties are familiar to those who have been members here for some time and have encountered reluctance on the part of some US sellers (for example) to ship to overseas customers. The majority of members understand those difficulties; but ultimately, it is immaterial whether they understand them or not, because however loud they complain about it, it's not going to change - a seller cannot be obliged to ship items overseas if he considers the risks unacceptable.

Further discussion at this stage is unlikely to be worthwhile, as it has all been said; there's no point in running around in circles and clouding the issue. We'll close the thread for the time being, with a view to re-opening it at some point in the future if circumstances change.

Status
Not open for further replies.