Wife Needs A Search and Rescue Light

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I don't understand all these recs for the Surefire G2 (or G2L). This thing does not have the output or throw needed for the job.

If someone is thrown from a car, it may be some distance from the actual car. When seconds lost searching for someone might mean the difference between life and death, you need those extra lumens and longer throw so you can find the injured people faster.

I recommended it because I know it works. I've been to many accidents over the years and it would be a fine light for the situations the OP mentioned. I've been to many "ejected occupant MVA's" and you rarely see someone thrown more than a 20 yard radius from the car. We always kept a magcharger in the cab of the Ambulance also. I even suggested the T1 in my other post in this thread. But the G2 or the Inova T2 would be a lot easier to carry, mainly because of the noticeable weight difference.

Roger

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about the Fenix P3dQ5 or R100 (nice warm colored light) Both put out way more light than a G2 incan when on high (turbo) I know as I have compared both side by side. You would also have truly a low level...checking pupils etc that a G2L, T1, G2 etc just would not give you. The light is small and easy to actually carry...and I believe it would survive a 3-5 foot drop much better than a g2 incan (bulb would break) and most likely just as well as a G2led.

Forget the China vs. USA thing. I have had 9 SF lights and all have been reliable...so have all my Chinese lights. But for a true high/low power light in a small package... the P3D would be hard to beat.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Wish I lived in New Mexico................:(
Oh yea get a G2L, loved the one I built till it was stolen. I threw that thing all over the yard, dropped it from the 2nd floor roof to the 1st floor deck, even tossed it about 8ft in the air so it could gently land on the concrete parking pad in front of the house. Then I showered with it as a waterproofing exercise. Really tough that Nitrolon. Didn't throw around the Al head though, it would of showed dings and scratches. I think that the weight of the piece needs to be in the top 3 factors.

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the G2L. Simply to operate. No fuss warranty...

And no regulation - meaning the light starts out bright and then dims rapidly. A modern SAR light should have fixed brightness, especially given that it's so cheap. (I suspect SF don't put it in the G2 to force consumers to buy a more expensive light.)

And SF's "no fuss warranty" in practice wimps out if a light has rolled off a table.

But $100 will buy a G2 body with a replacement *regulated* drop-in, and still leave lots of change. Otoh a Fenix P3D will slip in to a pocket much more easily, and the multiple brightness levels are a bonus. I'd buy the Fenix.Especially given the recommend from a real paramedic.

Or if losing weight and size is attractive, then look at the Liteflux FL5 or Nightcore Infinity - these are single AA lights than can use 14500 lithium cells. On an ordinary AA they'll match the G60L, while being much smaller, and on a 14500 they'll almost match the much brighter Fenix. Unlike the Surefire they're regulated.

Last edited:

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Maker102

Newly Enlightened
First off I wish to thank everyone for their opinions. I have read and hopefully understood most of the replies. The one brand that seemed to stand out was Surefire and thats the way I went. Next was the model, and for this I took one persons word (Yaesumofo) and went with the 6P LED from Battery Junction. My reasoning for this was the fact it had an aluminum body, Pyrex window and that I can customize it if its not exactly what the wife wants. I will add a note to tell you what her reaction is after x-mas. Thanks again for everyones help.

Carl

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Cool, good job! I called SF to get a new lens retaining ring for my G2L and they said no no what's your address, we will send you a whole new bezel! How nice, no shipping charge either.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not an EMT but work crowd control when I volunteer at high performance road rally events -- I've also been there and done that in the woods and at night. I keep people under control and look for stuff in the dark a lot. That puts me in the ballpark for knowing about stuff like this.

6P LED sounds like a good choice. Good size, less worry about whether the batteries are going to be OK, and run time should be fine for that job. Twisties when wearing gloves are a good way to go IMHO.

If it were me I might have gone with a yellow G2L just because things get dropped and if they are bright yellow, they are easier to find. As for the 6P LED not being yellow, just go to an auto parts store and get some reflective tape and voilà! I would get a lanyard to keep the light attached. Not only does she need to find people, she needs to keep the traffic from getting up close and personal. SF makes a nice holster for that series and Velcro is a beautiful thing when you need to have multiple attachment options. Mine has not come adrift once in several years of EDC.

Spare battery carry has a number of options. but I wouldn't worry about a SF spares carrier (and I have one) if I could just use an orange colored plastic match safe (under a buck at Mal Wart). Gloves, wet stuff (rain, sleet, snow, or icky stuff), etc. can make holding onto the light a challenge. I Like friction tape, bicycle handle bar tube style padding, Plastic Dip, etc.

Now, while there are always other options here's my thinking on why some other lights might not be as good a choice. I would imagine that a SAR at a crash scene would not be a static thing where you'd just sweep a bright light. Beating the bushes seems like it would be the better plan to me, but I might be wrong. Also a light with a bazillion yard throw might not be so good for close in work and in that situation you could usually walk in closer to get a better look with one light but not see up close with the monster thrower. Multi levels are OK, but K.I.S.S. is the #1 rule in a stressful situation. While a different rated light for explosion/fire hazard would be good, how often is an SAR going to be conducted when virtually standing in spilled fuel? After you've been to one or two wrecks, it's just common nature to pay attention to the atmosphere and watch for spills.

This is most likely a use where she won't be miles away from the rig, there'll probably be others around to help and watch out for each other, and more help will be on the way. She doesn't need to be weighed down with a dozen batteries, three extra modules, and a partridge in a pear tree. The 6P LED with a lanyard and a spare set of batteries should do it. Add a holster if she thinks she needs it.

Hope it gets used rarely for its intended purpose.

Just a few thoughts and YMMV.

Maker102

Newly Enlightened
Yes you are right she will need a spares holder. I purchased the SC-1 made by Surefire however like you said it is very big so I doubt she will carry it. On the other hand it will come in handy around the house in case of an emergency. The holster is going to wait until after x-mas, then she can pick out the one she wants (if any). As far as a lanyard goes, I am a 21 year veteran of the military and it will be made of braided parachute cord no if's and's or but's.

Thanks again for everyones opinion, it really made my job alot easier.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
I am a Medic with my countries largest EMS provider (who also provides coverage @ events - which I do).

Most of the events I do are the down in the dirt, get on the back of a quad bike to get to the Pt sort of events (plays havoc with my uniform & gear but I accept that) I have found that 11 things are an absolute must when doing this sort of job.

1 – Have a excellent pair of pants, they must be, easily washed, very sturdy, have cargo pockets (expanding not flat) & must be able to accept a belt (having reinforced knees is another plus).

2 – A good comfortable, sturdy belt that will not fall apart on you while still maintaining its looks after being abused.

3 – Quality Holsters, they are a must. If possible get ones with the plastic clips not Velcro as it wears out over repeated usage. They must also have flaps to cover what is contained in them (even shears) as Murphy's Law is in full effect here, anything that you have on you that you need is likely to disappear if not strapped down (speaking from experience).

4 – A good quality multitool is needed as there will be times when you think, "Now how am I going to get this off/away/etc" & this will expand you options (reminds me of a time when a spectator get her metal bangle stuck on a tree branch – I just used the wood saw on my Leatherman wave to cut the branch or if that failed then there was the metal saw I could have used.

5 – A reliable, bright, lightweight (see #6) Light that you are comfortable using (I use a SF A2 as it gives me the option of bright light or a low level pt exam light in a KISS package plus keep at least 1 spare set of batteries on you (Murphy's Law) plus another set in your med bag (assuming you have your own bag/jump kit/etc). Also keep an AA or AAA led light with lithium batteries in it in your med bag (2 is 1 & 1 is none) preferably a medium level flood-light (that way you can have a bystander stand above you & illuminate the scene).

6 – Lots of glove on you – when the SHTF you really don't have time to go back to the truck & get more because your glove pouch/pocket etc is empty (I carry about 10 pairs in my custom pouch plus another 20 or so in my med bag)

7 – High quality boots (yes boots, not oxfords, they need ankle protection) that are comfortable, broken in, made of leather or leather/nylon (for long service life & presentation), preferably waterproof, have more than adequate cushioning as you can be resting your weight on your feet when they are on odd angles (I have prefer 8" boots as they go over your ankles & help with standing for long periods & for protection from sticks/stones/etc, they also reduce the chances of a serious ankle injury if you misstep etc).

8 – All this must be lightweight, as you will be wearing it for the entire shift. Plus when on a call/or moving to a pt you will more than likely be carrying a bag of med gear + other items which soon weights you down.

9 – Trust in your gear, you must know, where it is, how much there is of it, how it works, how to put it together/take it apart/fix it (again Murphy's Law), & also the limitations of it.

10 – An Organized med bag, it is all good to carry lots of supplies/gear in your bag but if you have to take 30 – 40 sec finding it then it may as well be useless as you may have a pt bleeding out & you can't locate your combine dressing, you must be able to find your gear/supplies very quickly, with one hand & be able to get that gear/supplies out without pulling all the rest out. Also having them in smaller bags inside your med bag reduces the chances of losing said items when it comes time to pack the bag up again.

11 – Above all else KISS

Patriot36 – While using clips is a good way to carry items with EMS, Murphy has a field day (See #3) with any unsecured equipment, straps and the likes (last year we had an incident where a medic got a dislocated shoulder from a strap catching on a branch as they went past on the back of a quad bike)

These are all my opinions based on 11 years of service and can be taken with a grain of salt.