Wife Needs A Search and Rescue Light

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
also check out Streamlight explosion proof series. these are real popular with SAR folks.

I can't wait until Streamlight starts putting real leds in their lights...they make such cool ones...but with yesteryear technology for leds.

Jay T

Enlightened
A search and rescue light for ejected occupants from a car accident? I have heard a couple of these on the scanner. One that stick out was a Mustang Convertible that left the road. The ambulance had both occupants when a friend of the driver drove up and told them there were three people in the car. The police then started combing the weeds for the third body. Another time there was a head on. After everyone was on scene for several minutes I heard one of the officers call out "I found another one over here in the ditch".

I don't think a AA led light is the right tool for the job. When a car leaves the road at 70mph and does a few flips into the weeds the area to search is a little larger than a living room. You might have to leave LED land for this one, something like a portable spotlight would me more in line with the job at hand.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Streamlight ProPoly 4aa Lux, which you should load with AA Lithium batteries. You mentioned that the light might not see regular use which means that alkaline batteries may not be ready when they are needed, especially in cold weather. The Lithium AAs have a 15 year shelf life, better than the ten years for the 3.0 v cr123s.

The ProPoly Lux have good throw and yet is small enough to carry. Very rugged. The C cell version gives out more light but would be harder to carry, if that is a consideration. Also I don't know if there is a lithium battery option for the C cell version.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I've been in the Fire/EMS field for about 12 years now. If all she truly needs the light for is the occasional search around the scene of a MVA, I would suggest either the SureFire G2L or one of the Inova T series lights (2007 version T2 would be my choice of the series). The T1,2,3 are all cheaper than the G2L, and would withstand more abuse, in my opinion, than the G2L. I'm not bashing the G2L (I love mine!), but I believe the Inovas would survive being run over by the squad. Both are great quality lights and both are "Made In the USA!". If it will be used as little as you suggest, even the standard incandescent G2 would be fine, and cheaper! Any of these lights would drop into her pocket/jump kit and be ready for use in a snap. Since they all use CR123s they would last for years before the batteries need replacing, if she doesn't use them. The CR123s also work better in colder weather, especially if stored in a cold vehicle in the winter. My Fenix T1 just showed up today, and it could be another option, it is an awesome light!

Roger

BTW, the Inova's clicky switch is easier to operate one handed, IMO, than the twistie on the G2L. But the G2L is easier to mouth hold, if it comes to that. No, its not sanitary, but I've been there and done that when the SHTF!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
A stock yellow Surefire G2. Since she doesn't use it often battery cost isn't much of an issue.
The incan is better at finding people outdoors than a led light is.

This is a small, cheap and reliable light. It is also easy to clean if it gets contaminated.

You might consider giving her a small led general purpose light in addition to this since it is so cheap. Fenix lights are good for this.

Sverre

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just spent 1 hour writing a rant on this topic and lost it. Here is the short version.
When you buy a DUTY flashlight you need more than just a light.

You need the light, a holster and a spares carrier.
The total cost of these items is about $140.00

I recommend the surefire G2L.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24460/sesent/00

a Concealco holster made for the G2.
http://www.concealco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ACL&Category_Code=053SFH#Purchase

The spares carrier:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/255/prrfnbr/251/SC1-Spares-Carrier-

Something to put into the spares carrier:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...685/Box-of-12-SureFire-123A-Lithium-Batteries

I also recommend a P61 "extra bright globe" a 120 lumen globe for "emergencies"
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/254/prrfnbr/206/Lamp-Reflector-

As you can see this is more than a flashlight. But all of it is needed.
It is also over budget.
How do you get a good light holster and spares carrier for less. Buy used.
Tough to do when one of the items is new on the market.

I don't see a good way to reduce this without getting a really crappy stuff.

Keep in mind that the lives of others and yourself are on the line. Personally I want the best most reliable equipment as part of my gear. I had a much more compelling post made before but suffice to say that IMHO the G2l is a good choice and that you aren't just buying a flashlight.
The concealco holster is second to none costs $9.00 less than Surefire's holster. It is basically a custom made unit. It may take a couple weeks to get it.

Do yourself a favor and don't get sucked into the cheaper is better trap. Don't get lured into buying a feature laden Asian flashlight.
All she needs is On Off and momentary. Anything else is unnecessary.
Get a 2 cell flashlight (Better run-time)

BTW there is another great alternative which unfortunately is more expensive. The Surefire A2. Same holster.

Do her a favor and send her to the local gun shop and have her look at them first hand She will be in a much better position to choose a light if she has seen and held the light. To make a long story short there is no substitute for actually holding the light and testing it first hand. There is nothing worse than ordering a light anticipating a light and when it comes and you haven't thought about the details you then have no way to actually carry the light...Then what? Or worse yet the light comes and you don't like it. Where ever possible have a look at the light first. You will find the surefire lights (and others) at a local gun shop. Then order the light from your favorite online retailer...unless you want to support your local business...Highly recommended...

Good luck.
Yaesumofo

Numbers

Enlightened
You folks got me thinking,
Do Ambulance Service companies provide guidelines as to what light is appropriate, maybe requiring employees/volunteers to pick from a certain few that have been selected as meeting minimum standards.

I ask because I would not want MY "Emt/Ambulance company worker etc." carring equipment not up to the task, should their services be needed.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Streamlight Argo HP Haz-Lo (hazardous location) headlamp? :candle:

a simple mod with a new polyster strap to wear it on the wrist or the back of my palm works great as a handsfree light. lithium primaries for long shelf life & 2 stage output is a plus.

at least it does not get too warm if she needs it constantly switched on for extended time on low mode.

i own the non Haz-Lo ver. :thumbsup:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on a YELLOW G2L. Easy to find, bright it has much throw. Plus, the CR123 have a long shelf life, work well in cold temperature and are not likely to leak.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Once upon a time in the DARK woods we tested a few lights. A Surefire P60 on fresh Lithiums, and a Streamlight 4AA LUX on fresh NimH were the best two.

And we could see everything with the SL that we could with the SF.

When you consider that the SF will be dead from battery exhaustion in about an hour, and the SL will go four or more I think the choice between those two options is pretty clear.

I don't have a G2L but I do have a G2 with a Cree drop in. That may be a wee bit small for use with gloves, but then again I have BIG paws.

You could do a LOT worse than a Streamlight 4AA or 3C LUX.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should probably have a Borealis for this.

I think a lot of flood would help, cause if it was all spot, you could be looking right next to someone and not see them. The G2L has a pretty shallow orange peel reflector in it, so that does put out a lot of flood.

Last edited:

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
Maker102 - I am a paramedic....
I feel your wife's pain... I been looking for a good duty light for a while. I am a paramedic and have needed a good light on multiple scenes and find myself ALWAYS going for the smallest brightest light possible. I need something very light so I can move around as fast as possible and yet something that throws a considerable amount of light. I used to use a brinkmann xenon 2x123 light... and loved it. However, that light was put out of service when I picked up the Streamlight TL-3. This became my EDC and has been for almost 3 years now, until I bought my new EDC. The TL3 is absolutely ridiculous - extremely durable, very bright (~200 lumens), throws quite far and it nicely sized. Only downside is that it uses 3x CR123s and can eat through them in about an hour or less. I'm actually looking to upgrade mine to a Carley H1499 with 17500s for a recharging option that would be awesome. I'd highly recommend the TL-3 for the stated reasons, but I would also consider the Fenix P3D Q5 with AW RCR123s... This light has EVERYTHING I need in a rescue light... I get 4 different levels of brightness, including the low that I use for checking pupils. The P3D is small enough to carry anywhere and not get in the way. I guarantee you that she'll love either one of these lights for this, but I would HIGHLY recommend the Carley/17500 upgrade as this would be a friggin awesome duty light combo. She would NOT be able to check pupils with it though, unless she wanted to burn her patient's retinas... Let us know the way you go and how she likes the light she gets... cheers!

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
+1 on the G2LED. Other than that, if you can find a Strion, it is a great little light that can throw far. Since it is Li-ion rechargeable, it should have a relatively low maintenence. Other surefires might be the 6P LED/6P standard or the G3 with a P60 LED module. Streamlight survivors are worth looking at but to date I can't remember how hefty the price tag is on one of them.

LedLad

Newly Enlightened
In my (mostly) mis-spent youth I was involved in our local volunteer ambulance (small rural towns are lovely btw). For this serious a job you want something bright and reliable...I think my recommendation would be a Fenix T1 paired with either a Princeton EOS headlamp or a Wally World Ray O Vac Headlamp depending on how much you want to spend...I think the headlamp would be VERY useful to an EMT for general duty once the victim/victims are all located, it might also keep her from stepping in a hole or tripping over something while moving around the scene.
All respect and thanks to first responders everywhere!

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand all these recs for the Surefire G2 (or G2L). This thing does not have the output or throw needed for the job.

If someone is thrown from a car, it may be some distance from the actual car. When seconds lost searching for someone might mean the difference between life and death, you need those extra lumens and longer throw so you can find the injured people faster.

The Fenix T1 is not some kind of fancy weakling with unnecessary bells and whistles. It has two outputs, low and high. You preset the high by twisting the bezel all the way, and you do this well before you need to engage the flashlight. Then all you need to do in an energency is press the back switch in. There could be nothing simpler.

It will give you more than twice the lumen output of the G2L (even adjusting downward the manufacturer's claimed output to a more real life output) and a throw well over 150 yards. It's also built very tough and the manufacturer recommends it for this kind of mission.

Oh, and it costs $76 and comes with a belt holster which is very nice and useable. And it uses 2xCR123A lithiums, with all of the advantages several other posters already noted in terms of lightness, runtime, resistance to cold, and 10-year storage length.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
At first Yaesumofo's idea sounded really good to me, but the more I thought about it, for the price I like the L1 better. With its excellent pocket clip a holster isn't necessary, either is a spare lamp. The L1 is also easy on batteries so carrying a spare or two in on of those gadget tubes would go a long way for back-up lighting. Yes, I know that I'm over your budget, but if you can swing the extra $, I think the L1 would be really hard to beat. :)

If you can only spend $100, then I'd have to say my pick would be a Surefire E2e with a set of spares.

I'm a big pocket clip fan. I can't think of a better carry methon which ensures that your light is always with you.

Latest posts