Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. Seems kind of a waste to put a 70mm long battery in a 150mm long tube. But the 2 cell light probably has a different driver. That being said I kind of like the solid feel the full size batteries give it.
Already I am getting more used to the switch. It's just different. No pause to click between modes. I'd definitely say the lx versions are worth it. Just feels so much better than the standard

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The grip of the LX and the more durable coating make it worth the extra coins in my view.

About the only Maglites I use lately besides the warm aaa minimag are those ML150's Santa brought me. The short one is like carrying a 2 cell ML50 but puts out light a little brighter than a 3 cell ML300. The longer version puts out light like a 4 cell ML300.

Perhaps someday Tony will opt to put out a grenade grip ML150 like his MagTac lights are.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
The ML50Lx's are really nice, I have a green 2C version...

The best way to run these that I know of is on a protected 21700 in an adapter - this will run longer than full capacity NiMH C's and weighs a lot less. AA Eneloops/Fujiloops run pretty well too, but of course run time is less.

Can you point me to such an adapter? I guess its as long as 2C cells?
Anyone cut down the light to 70mm length, or is tail circuitry an issue?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you point me to such an adapter? I guess its as long as 2C cells?

I make them for 2 and 3 cell lights (on limited basis), with the protected 21700 cell in place they are the same length as 2 or 3 C cells. All have built in mechanical reverse polarity protection to help prevent damaging the light if a cell is put in backwards, because of this a button top cell is needed to make contact. They are 3D printed with solid brass hardware.

vyYIpnd.jpg

TmGP9I9.jpg

I also make some adapters for battery other sizes.

OQ8DkS9.jpg

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are pretty cool adaptors.

Ok so after having my ML50LX for a couple nights I'll give my opinion on it. I'm sure everyone was on the edge of their seat waiting for it!

First: As I said before this thing feels great in the hand. I love the texture. I love the grip. I even love the way it looks. I probably would have gone with a two cell as they are even more comfortable, but this is going to be a primary's only light and I don't like high output lights that rely on boosting alkaline batteries so you need three for the proper voltage.
Second: modes. Like has been mentioned here before I wish they would add a mode that would start with eco, low, high. That being it said I understand this is more of a tactical light. And the way it is no matter what program mode you're on a double-click will always bring high. Which is how they want a light being used. I can accept that.
Third: performance. In all honesty the high mode on this thing is ridiculous. It is completely unnecessary to have this much power on high. When it's dark out low mode seems quite bright and eco is great for just walking around. If I could have my choice I would have liked the beam to be a little tighter. So maybe Replace the XML with an SST 20 at a lower drive current on high. Even a high of 400 lumens would be great in this head. But people like to see high numbers. For me high will very rarely be used.

Overall though I really like this thing. My favorite LED light is still a streamlight poly stinger just because I prefer the beam of that flashlight over this one. And it's a little shorter. But looks wise and feel in hand this is a better light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Many here have aaked ole Tony to add a eco/lo/hi mode. So far all we've heard is crickets chirping.
I ten tap my Streamlights (when possible) to start on low. Same with Pelicans.

A few years back Maglite did 2 cell (and 3 cell) ML100 that is a C cell light that was in between the size of a 2 and 3 cell ML50. It has a reasonable output from the old throwey LED days much like today's SST. Those are still available at Maglites site. It was the first ML. Then a 125 came along and that one gave you a choice of Stinger sized battery or using 3 c cell primaries. It too is still at the Maglite site. You click accessories/outlet/outlet.
Neither have the grenade grip option though. Oh, and both gave you the option to tweak the position of the LED slightly so you could dial in the throw or the flood to your liking. Both appear very bright for a sub 200 lumen flashlight.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A "weather emergency" eco-low-high set would be great, should be pretty easy to add going forward with a firmware update.

A smaller, lower lumen, throwier LED sure would improve the ML50's - unfortunately most people tend to buy whatever claims to have the higher lumen number.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I mean I still like it. A lot. It's just the high is almost useless to me because it's so ridiculously bright. And I don't know how they managed to do it with alkalines. I mean at turn on it must be putting close to 3A to the LED to get 705 OTF. How alkaline C cells are doing that is unknown to me.

I know people like to see high numbers. But with a well focused beam I just don't need that much. That doesn't mean someone else might not. Maybe searching for someone on the other side of a lake for instance!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite is the official flashlight of the National Association for Search and Rescue. They also cater to folks who have to holler "halt in the name of the law" and sponsor things like the national officer memorial foundation, recently the National Association for Amatuer(sp?) Radio joined up with Maglite. Folks that use really bright lights at times.

Now Tony likes to tout his 4D ML300 and how many "weeks" it can run on a set of batteries in bad weather, yet there's no "power out for who knows how long" mode where it would start on eco (scratching head)……

jrmcferren

Enlightened
I've thought the same thing about having Eco, Low, High in that order. Makes sense as I like to use Eco mode the most. Ironically, if the Alkalines are discharged enough High and Low become the same so high becomes a shortcut for low. That said I'm going to switch to the Law Enforcement mode (Momentary, High, Eco) set for a bit to see how I like it.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I mean I still like it. A lot. It's just the high is almost useless to me because it's so ridiculously bright. And I don't know how they managed to do it with alkalines. I mean at turn on it must be putting close to 3A to the LED to get 705 OTF. How alkaline C cells are doing that is unknown to me.

I know people like to see high numbers. But with a well focused beam I just don't need that much. That doesn't mean someone else might not. Maybe searching for someone on the other side of a lake for instance!

Sounds like you would like the ML25, lower lumens with a throwier beam,

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've thought the same thing about having Eco, Low, High in that order. Makes sense as I like to use Eco mode the most. Ironically, if the Alkalines are discharged enough High and Low become the same so high becomes a shortcut for low. That said I'm going to switch to the Law Enforcement mode (Momentary, High, Eco) set for a bit to see how I like it.

If you use the light in short bursts often such as walking around in light polluted areas and need to shadow bust at times the "halt in the name of the law" mode is great. I keep my D sized Mags set on that mode along with the shiney ML150's. The Mrs prefers hers set to factory. But I find I keep my thumb near the button anyway since the bubble on ML lights is not as easy to feel as the classic Maglites. So I just hold the button while I need light and click a second time for full time light.

Now one thing I like about the "low" mode (some would say medium) is that it turns off a lot of the flood but preserves most of the throw. So I keep my matte finish ML150 set on factory for that reason.

My ML25's are mostly fed off eneloops with adapters or Imedion C size rechargeables. That one is likely one of the most under rated flashlights available today. Especially the 019 version with the hi/lo option. And it's $20!!

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
For light polluted areas, which I tried last night, I can see the use for the blistering high mode. For my use case though, not only does that rarely happen, but in those situations I don't feel the need for a light.
But that's my use case which is not indicative of everyone.
This light is just so useful. I've now got an xl200 on the way

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Oh my, you'll like the 200. The 100 is way more throwey, but the 200 does all kinds of cool stuff. I really like the "what level you left it on last" feature.

One thing about the 50/100/200 is you can swap tailcaps and turn your 200 into a 50 (hi/lo/strobe clicky) or use the 200 on a 100 to get 200 features and 100 beam. Just remember these have parasitic drain.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised by that. Judging by the deep smooth reflector and xg-p emitter, I assumed it would have good throw for it's size. Mag rates it as 6663cd which is pretty decent for 230L. Actually mag has it as ~2k more CD than the xl100

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XL50 (Cree XP-E) was pretty throwy as I recall, don't know about the XL200, never owned one. I like my XL100 for what it is, not the highest lumens or the longest throw, but I like the tint on the old Luxeon Rebel LED and I really like the night light mode (I think the XL200 has this as well)....only wish that it ran on a AA, or better yet a single C cell instead of 3 AAA's.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I think with a AA or a single C it would require a boost circuit. Wouldn't be as bright or efficient.

Well my XL100 doesn't have the greatest runtime (around 2 hrs), in fact I get slightly longer runtime with my Streamlight L1-1AA, both running eneloops and the Streamlight is brighter. Having to buy 3 AAA's instead of 1 AA is not cost efficient. And a good NiMH C cell should double the run time of 3 AAA Eneloops and you wouldn't need a battery carrier.

The XL200 tested by Robin Wang only did a little over an hour and a half on Eneloops back in 2011, despite a step down to 50% within the first 15 min.

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/06/maglite-xl200-led-flashlight-review/

I would think the current XP-G LEDs are a bit more efficient, but not by a whole lot.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair. I did not know the battery life is so bad. I have that streamlight as well but I figured the mag light would be brighter as not only does it have higher lumens by 75 but also a larger deeper reflector and more than double the cd

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XL200 should be brighter than the 1L-1AA initially when running on a AA in terms of both lumens and more importantly cd, but after the first 15 min, both lights seem to step down to comparable lumen levels, though the Mag should still have more throw. When running a CR123A, the Streamlight has the edge in lumens but the Mag still holds a very slight lead in cd according to the specs.

I have always wondered why Mag went with the 3 AAA format for the XL series. The battery carrier is not cheap, especially being made in the USA, and I'm thinking that the must be using a boost/buck driver of some sort not a cheap direct drive or linear driver like most 3 AAA lights use.....it's almost like some marketing consultant convinced them that 3 AAA lights are what people want.