Will LED Flashlights Ever Produce More Output than HID's

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
give me 3-4 months and I will be on here with at least a 4300 lumens OTF single led beast (I predict :whistle:)
Wow! Thats quite the prediction there Glenn. Had your ear to the ground eh? That is certainly not impossible but it will be a heady task to be sure. Not too many LEDs that can put out that kind of output just yet while still being collimated.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Glenn7, I share your optimism about the future of leds as you know, considering my username. ;)

However I can't resist asking you why you are purchasing the 3 X MCE Howitzer (1600 lumens max)
if you are so convinced that you will have a single led light capable of putting out 4300 lumens OTF soon? :poke:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glenn7, I share your optimism about the future of leds as you know, considering my username. ;)

However I can't resist asking you why you are purchasing the 3 X MCE Howitzer (1600 lumens max)
if you are so convinced that you will have a single led light capable of putting out 4300 lumens OTF soon? :poke:

Thats easy to answer - cant help myself :eek: - and the Howitzer was on the table first and its a good price IMO and I think I can sell it quite easily if I don't want it - and because I can :kiss:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thats easy to answer - cant help myself :eek: - and the Howitzer was on the table first and its a good price IMO and I think I can sell it quite easily if I don't want it - and because I can :kiss:

Fair enough. I just hope you're right about the 4300 lumen light. :eek:

J_C

Enlightened
The simple answer is yes, a flashlight using the most efficient illumination source, "bulb", will produce the most output. The real question is one of output per other factors, most people are not really, "really" concerned about what is brightest, they always mean within whatever budget or size/weight they want.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Production has been slow due to lack of interest and henths $ to fund it (as it is prepay) - but it will come stand by :wave:
Sometimes you just have to reach for the stars. If he can at least get a prototype done I'm sure there will be enough people in line to pick up the excess.

BTW Michael what dastardly things are you working on right now...... share??

Glenn even if I told you you wouldn't believe me. In due time.

easilyled

Flashaholic
That prepay thread may never materialize :whistle:

In the meantime, lifted from here

SR6000
The SR6000 will use a Single Luminus CSM-360W with approximately 6500 Lumen output. This primary duty light will use a pair of rechargeable 'M' LiFePO4 38120P (M size) battery at a total of 6.4 volts and 20 amps capacity. Total Length is 17.25 inches, head diameter between 4.0 and 4.75 inches with a 103 mm custom optic used and 1.75 inch diameter battery compartment. More specifications to follow.
Release August 2010

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone mentioned before, surely as efficiency rises, then not only do you get more lumen/watt but also much less heat produced. Therefore by the time we have led's of say 80% efficiency then we will also be able to run them at a higher current than we currently do with the same size heatsink..

I know this doesn't affect throw unless we can reach a much higher surface brightness, but it does say a lot to me about possibilities for future size to lumen ratio improvements. :popcorn: