Will we ever see a true end-user-programmable UI?

mike.s

Newly Enlightened
Well, I guess it comes down to semantics, but for many of us, "true end-user-progammable" would refer to being able to program anything and everything that can be programmed.
That's a strawman if I ever saw one.

The ONLY way to allow what you say would also require the user to write code to run on whatever processor the flashlight used. If you simplify it by relying upon whatever modes the flashlight manufacturer decided to support, then that capability is already available without a computer, as I have pointed out. All of your complaints could be addressed with a better programming UI on the flashlight. I've now pointed that out twice, and you've ignored it twice.

You still haven't been able to state exactly what advantage using a computer would offer. Are you simply ignoring that question, too? Or do you think there's a significant market selling to people who can write assembly or C code for microcontrollers? Somehow, I don't think that's what the OP had in mind.

I can give a couple of significant disadvantages - it adds costs - interface circuitry, electrical connections, the computer itself. And if you want a different set of modes, you'd better have a computer with you while camping.

longboat

Newly Enlightened
That's a strawman if I ever saw one.

The ONLY way to allow what you say would also require the user to write code to run on whatever processor the flashlight used. If you simplify it by relying upon whatever modes the flashlight manufacturer decided to support, then that capability is already available without a computer, as I have pointed out. All of your complaints could be addressed with a better programming UI on the flashlight. I've now pointed that out twice, and you've ignored it twice.

You still haven't been able to state exactly what advantage using a computer would offer. Are you simply ignoring that question, too? Or do you think there's a significant market selling to people who can write assembly or C code for microcontrollers? Somehow, I don't think that's what the OP had in mind.

I can give a couple of significant disadvantages - it adds costs - interface circuitry, electrical connections, the computer itself. And if you want a different set of modes, you'd better have a computer with you while camping.

OK, here's an example to try to get through to you. Many computer enthusiasts are interested in overclocking their systems. Mfrs. began offering avenues for users to tweak their systems, but only at certain levels. Third-party programmers came through with a GUI that the average person could use to set their clock speed on their computer to WHATEVER they wanted. No programming skills needed by the average user - if you can type an email, you can set the clock speed on your computer. Go figure. This is the advantage of using a computer, which I have already stated and you apparently missed. COMPUTERS, WITH A WELL-WRITTEN GUI, CAN OFFER THE ADVANTAGE OF EASILY PROGRAMMING WHATEVER LEVELS AND MEMORY YOU WANT ON YOUR FLASHLIGHT!!! - no need to count flashes or hold switch for X seconds, etc. There are only so many levels of programmability that you can put into a flashlight without making it too complicated or unreliable (those AKOrays seem to have pretty questionable reliablity - I certainly wouldn't classify them as high-end that the OP is used to).

Why do you continually ignore the limitations of the flashlights that have their programmability built in? Where is my flashlight that I can easily set to 0.5L, 20L and 200L with no strobe, and to come on at L, M, H with memory where I want it??

As far as taking your computer camping, you're grasping at straws there. That can be easily remedied by having the flashlight built with the "in-field" programmability that you like, plus the computer programmability for specialized situations that many of us want, but have no access to at this point. No computer needed in the field!!! Besides, I'm sure someone could write an app for you iPhone to duplicate the GUI. I here they are coming out with an app that will even allow the iPhone to make phone calls. :whistle:

Hey, I'm not interested in getting into a pi$$ing match here, mostly because I don't even have a dog in this fight - just trying to clear a few things up for you. You're barking up the wrong tree. :confused:

SexieWASD

Newly Enlightened
do you think there's a significant market selling to people who can write assembly or C code for microcontrollers?

Yes actually I do, and those that can't can download other peoples code to take advantage of whatever features they want without having to understand how it works, but I'm also of the mind to add gps, an accelerometer, a compass, a RGBW led, and flash memory as well, so there is a bit more for coders to play with.