Winter is coming

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
They issued a winter storm watch this afternoon (except that it's still fall :thinking: )

Possibility of 6 or more inches of the white crap coming Tuesday.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Here's some stats from Valdez, Alaska:

Average Annual Snowfall (in city): 325.6 inches
Average Snowfall in Thompson Pass: over 600 inches

Record Snowfall (in city): 556.7 inches (1989/90)
Record Snowfall in Thompson Pass: over 900 inches

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They issued a winter storm watch this afternoon (except that it's still fall :thinking: )

Possibility of 6 or more inches of the white crap coming Tuesday.

Yeah looks like it in ottawa eh? Nothing here thou, 1 to 3 cm and probably gone by the time it hits the ground.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I'll make the best of it and take my bright LED lights outside tonight and play with them :)

It's garbage night....perfect excuse.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was the first snow in over 5 years (Last winter). If it ever snows more than this, I'm moving back to Miami.

Snow2008012Small.jpg

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd hate it here then :D

This was taken in early March of this year from my kitchen window while I was getting the courage to go out and shovel it. Took about 3 hours to get to the car.

P3090131.jpg

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Here's some stats from Valdez, Alaska:

Average Annual Snowfall (in city): 325.6 inches
Average Snowfall in Thompson Pass: over 600 inches

Record Snowfall (in city): 556.7 inches (1989/90)
Record Snowfall in Thompson Pass: over 900 inches
One of the funny things about these stats is that 1988 was a pretty normal year, but in 1989 when the oil spill came to Valdez, it brought a lot of folks from the lower 48 who insisted we were full of crap about all the condensation in Valdez since that summer was unusually dry and all the mud puddles from the previous summer were as though they never existed.

So, a lot of them decided to stay in Valdez, the place where they knew more about the weather than the locals! :sick2: Then winter came, and you can see what happened with all the rain that didn't fall during the summer! :twothumbs My friend the taxi driver said they were all trying to get to the airport, so he was taking them, but not getting much in the way of tips when he took them back to town since there was too much snow for any flights in or out! :grin2:

It's also a little entertaining to hear friends down south tell me on the phone that it was colder down there because of the wind chill and it never gets through to them the concept of what kind of wind chill factor there is for a snowmachine guide on the river at 70mph when it's -40 below at the lodge, meaning it's colder yet in the low spots, which is what a river is! :sick: :naughty:

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Winter is here today in NorthCentral PA! We have 5+ inches and the roads are slick. First snow that has covered the ground and its deep enough to breakout the cross country skis! Numerous accidents reported on the country roads! Time to get your winter tires on! Time to winterize.

Latest posts