Wolf Eyes Decision - M90X or M100X

westfork

Newly Enlightened
Paul, If you are adding to the list, how about:

450 lumens 9V Lumens Factory E0-9L
250? lumens 9V RICO Alpha-9
(you've mentioned both of these, just not on the list in post #4.)

Thanks again for all your information and experience with these.
Lloyd

Last edited:

TommyRox

Newly Enlightened
WOW keep in mind I am still somewhat a flash newbie but just when I had made my decision to go with the M90X I now see that this goes ALOT further with the lamp upgrades as well as voltage conversions - cool stuff !!

Just when I thought I was just gonna purchase a "stock" flashlight
huh2.gif

I REALLY like what Dorky1 is putting together but wanted to keep it around $100.00.

Loaded question now guys - what are my other options with this flashlight?

Lamps - conversion kits - batteries

Last edited:

westfork

Newly Enlightened
Tommy, You can see there are lots of configurations for the M90. Some that interest me:

-M90 with 168 extension tube (3 - 18650/168 cells) EO-13 lamp for 700 lumens. A blaster for short periods of use. I mainly use lights in the winter when the heat is not much of a factor. I found that even very high output lights don't get really hot when it is far below zero. Also the 13v D36 lamp that comes with the 168 extension tube puts out a nice smooth 300 lumen light for this body configuration - I just like the idea of the extra oomph of the EO-13 when putting up with the long body.

-M90 with 2 - 18650/168 cells. RICO Alpha-9 lamp for 250 lumen floody beam or with EO-9L for 450 lumen moderate time use beam. Useful and the standard length Rattlesnake body fits nicely in my back pocket when heading out the door to take care of something.

-M90 with 4 - CR123 cells. HO-12 lamp for 550 lumens. High output set-up good for long term inactive storage but ready to go when needed.

The M90X was a good base for these setups - especially during the Christmas sale at PTS. It makes things easier and cheaper if the batteries and charger are standardized with other lights you have. I only have experience with a couple of configurations as I am waiting on some of the lamp types.

Lloyd

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
westfork said:
Paul, If you are adding to the list, how about:

450 lumens 9V Lumens Factory E0-9L
250? lumens 9V RICO Alpha-9
(you've mentioned both of these, just not on the list in post #4.)
Added; thanks!

westfork

Newly Enlightened
TommyRox said:
Thanks westfork - that was EXACTLY what I was looking for. :goodjob:

Just remember much of this is from others' posts as I am still experimenting with this set-up (meaning no first-hand experience yet with the Lumens Factory and RICO lamps). I have come to respect the M90 as one solid flashlight as I have been tinkering with my M90x, 168 extension tube, different batteries, and the Wolf Eyes 12v and 13v lamps. I originally tried hard not to like it as I have been heading towards the new leds and HIDs and only bought one along with my 24W Boxer since the price seemed too good to pass up. Now I see that it fills a niche between the efficient leds and the high powered HIDs. I personally have no use for an incandescent below 200 lumens as several Cree-based lights fill this need very well. However, the M90 in some of its configurations is a good substitute for HIDs in the 10W/500 lumen range with the big advantage of momentary on/off and simplicity of components. No ballast or complicated circuitry to go out - Just a heavy duty metal body, some batteries, and a lamp assembly that can be replaced for $9 to $20 if need be. Just seriously consider using rechargeable 18650/168a batteries. I find I use this light a LOT and it uses way too many CR123 primaries for daily use.
Lloyd

TommyRox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all the help gentlemen - making the purchase today after a quick desposit at the bank. From a stock stand point, what bulb should I get using the 4XCR123s - HO-12 High Output 55 Lumen? I will have to wait till next paycheck to upgrade to the 13V conversion kit unfortunately - mama just can't understand a $170.00 flashlight - geeeeez. I was also looking on PTS and wonder if it might be cheaper to just get the M90 already converted ( 150A or 168A batteries?) decisions - decisions. :touche:

On the rechargables - is it normally better to leave them plugged in charging full time or only charge on an as-need basis?

Last edited:

Dorky1

Newly Enlightened
If you choose 168A (18650 batteries), they have some great little Cree based LED lights that use a single 18650 battery for a little 2 cr123 sized light. Check out the LED forum for more info and opinions. Just thought I'd get you going on more ways to spend your money!!!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
TommyRox said:
Thanks again for all the help gentlemen - making the purchase today after a quick desposit at the bank. From a stock stand point, what bulb should I get using the 4XCR123s - HO-12 High Output 550 Lumen?
I'd stick with the stock Wolf Eyes D36-12V. You can use it with primaries or 150A cells, and possibly with 168A cells; I'll be testing that prospect this weekend, if my Lumens Factory order arrives by then. A number of CPFers prefer it to the D36-13V; it draws less current and it definitely throws better.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
The Wolf Eyes 12v D36 does work with 2 - 18650/168 cells. It is not nearly as bright as when driven by 4 - CR123s though.
Tommy, if you plan on using this light a lot I would get lamps that work on rechargables.
Lloyd

TommyRox

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that I will using it on a "daily" basis unless we go out off town for a weekend then it will get used quite a bit. I think I have decided to order the following tonight to start then upgrade to rechargeables later depending upon it's useage:

(1) M90X
(1) HO-12 High Output Lamp or 12V D36 Xenon Bulb by Wolf Eyes [12V D36]? Suggestions welcome

Last edited:

westfork

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you can go wrong with the M90x, especially at Mike's prices. Remember you will be getting one Wolf Eyes 12v D36 lamp packaged with the M90x. You can then see what you think about its output and runtime and can reconfigure this solid base unit any time you want. I just emailed you that Word document we discussed.
Lloyd

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
jabajet said:
Too bad the M90X is not on sale for $49.95 anymore. :awman:

Tell me about it. It was in my shopping cart ready to go through the ordering process, but I was waiting for a response to an email I sent out. By the time I got the response, the price was changed. Oh well, I'm now reevaluating my decision. I will buy a WE, it's just a question of which ones.:mecry:

Paul5M

Newly Enlightened
vtran96 said:
Tell me about it. It was in my shopping cart ready to go through the ordering process, but I was waiting for a response to an email I sent out. By the time I got the response, the price was changed. Oh well, I'm now reevaluating my decision. I will buy a WE, it's just a question of which ones.:mecry:
It's not that bad, it's only up by $8.51 ;)

westfork

Newly Enlightened
I just tried the new Lumens Factory EO-13 (13V 700 lumen) lamp in my M90. That puppy can throw! Very nice beam with quite a large hot spot. At 300 yards it illuminated my outbuildings very nicely. I do believe it pushes the 18650s to the limit. I was using the new higher capacity 18650s by AW and they would not restart the lamp when attempted at times (1 of 4?) immediately after turning it off. It would restart after a small rest.

As to the 5 minute heat warning. Perhaps if used indoors that would be an issue. I just ran it for seven minutes walking down to my mailbox and back. At the end of the seven minutes most of the flashlight was cold to the touch. The end third of the bezel was maybe up to body temperature. The batteries were about room temperature. It was an average night for this time of year at 8 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees warmer than 2 nights ago). I wouldn't want to keep my hand closely exposed to the beam very long though.

All in all this lamp in an M90 Rattlesnake makes an inexpensive but effective substitute for a 10 watt HID. The only issue is the capability of the batteries to keep up with it on restarts.

Lloyd

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
westfork said:
I was using the new higher capacity 18650s by AW and they would not restart the lamp when attempted at times (1 of 4?) immediately after turning it off. It would restart after a small rest.
I wonder what's going on there. The EO-13 pulls less current than the EO-9L, which neither AWs new or previous 18650s have any problem with, and the new ones light up the ROP Hi on each try(after a double the first time), which draws about twice the current of the EO-13.

SpiritLed

Newly Enlightened
I got the last M90X at the previous price (in transit) - thanks Mike!

With incans, is the rule that I can run the lamp up to the rated voltage without fear of destruction?