Would You still Buy an Arc AAA Today?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Re: Arc-AAA GS - still a classic? Worth buying or should I be happy my E01?

nbp I also agree they are just as nice and I have at least 6 of the E01 lights. There is a little size difference with the ARC being smaller however runtime and output are better with the E01. I have started this hobby long ago with a fascination for all lights however the smaller AAA versions were always my favorite.....still are actually.

I have several 20 dollar and even 10 dollar AAA lights that can all compete very well with the ARC. I also have several AAA lights with higher power LEDs such as the XPG AND XRE versions. The output of the newer players is staggering compared to the much older ARC AAA. I always wanted a Miller Modded Arc or even for Peter to offer the AAA host with something other than the 5mm LED. Back then and XPG powered factory Arc would have sold out within one day most likely.

From what I remember there were not really very many others to compare to back then. Arc was one of the original players and I bought many seconds from Peter at a great deal back then. Seems like I also remember when CountyComm was offering a free Arc AAA with every purchase over 100 dollars. I do remember buying several from them as well as the old Infinity Ultra-G and of course I still have all of them.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Talking about Infinity Ultra I have one of the newer models and man the tint is blue !!! I mean really blue. I just wish there would be some way to make these 5mm led either white or warm white.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Talking about Infinity Ultra I have one of the newer models and man the tint is blue !!! I mean really blue. I just wish there would be some way to make these 5mm led either white or warm white.

There is a way.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love an ARC thread!

I still have my old ARC AAA P on my keychain - next to a Thrunite Ti - both still work fine, but the finish is way better on the ARC - they were up there with the Military anodising for sure, plus the ARC has been there for many many years longer!

As I was reading this thread, I reached down to the cluster of books, discs and boxes under my desk and found my ARC case without any bother (It was like my hand remembered the way!) I now have my original Cyan LS First Run in my pocket (Running a CR123A and a QTC pill that makes it much better than the standard on or off) and a three level modded and Nickel plated LS HP on my neck lanyard.

Happy lights for happy times. If anyone invents a reliable time machine, I'm going back to 2004 to get a bunch of stuff. Anyone want me to get them anything?

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL!

no Netscape or Enron?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

Off topic, chaps. We were talking about ARCs.

Mind you, Apple shares are a good idea!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

Crazy this thread is still active and I knew I would get sucked in again. Arc has been gone for years and they still are taking my money. All this talk of my old ARCs got me to tinkering with a few of mine and searching old threads. Of course I went down memory lane and sent a PM to an old friend who long ago made triple drop ins for the ARC-LS. Lucky for me he has a few still on his shelf and I am thinking of buying 2 in order to refresh an old classic......looks like I would still buy ARC add ons at least today.

Now I am kicking myself for not buying one of those Bombleman CR2 tail caps as I saw a few old threads on those. That was really a very slick set up and after looking all night I have not found one available anywhere. I may ask around to some of the old timers however doubt any would part with one.....hint hint.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I'm close to pulling the trigger on an arc. On the website it looks like here are a few options, the CS, GS, and the snow led. Does anyone have a recommendation of which to get? I think I'm leaning towards GS or snow. Any help would be appreciated!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd go with the most powerful one you can get. I have an older LE version. But it is the same as the more powerful version today. Just a rename for better organization.
Still one of my favorite AAA lights of all time! Fit and finish is impeccable. May not be the brightest, but definitely durable and reliable.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd go with the most powerful one you can get. I have an older LE version. But it is the same as the more powerful version today. Just a rename for better organization.
Still one of my favorite AAA lights of all time! Fit and finish is impeccable. May not be the brightest, but definitely durable and reliable.

thanks for the input! Looks like GS is the brightest with CS and snow bring around 5-7 or so. I'm an E01 junky so I know the power of 10ish lumens and know I'll be fine with the output. I know technically the light is "outdated" but it's still the coolest looking like with a ton of history. AAA is fast becoming my favorite type of flashlight to use and I can't wait to get my hands on one of these knurly little things.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it is also one of the most well-built and durable lights as well. Photos when you get it please. I am interested to see what a new light looks like.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic

GS will be the brightest. Snow is the whitest tint, as GS can be kinda purpley.

BriteLite2

Enlightened

I have debated getting an arc also. a titanium to boot. but this is not the ARC of long go. I truly would be afraid to send this company any money as they are not the original arc , i honestly dont know who is running Arc now . can anyone chime in here as of recently and say that they received a light in good working order and of the same quality in the last two months?

I would actually buy a light from them if I had an above 50% feeling that I was actuallyy gonna get a light form them and it would be of the same quality. otherwise its a total gamble

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

There was a member that was selling new "old stock" ARC lights in the old marketplace a while ago.

nbp

Flashaholic

Cy had a lot of stuff...

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have debated getting an arc also. a titanium to boot. but this is not the ARC of long go. I truly would be afraid to send this company any money as they are not the original arc , i honestly dont know who is running Arc now . can anyone chime in here as of recently and say that they received a light in good working order and of the same quality in the last two months?

I would actually buy a light from them if I had an above 50% feeling that I was actuallyy gonna get a light form them and it would be of the same quality. otherwise its a total gamble

Well I just gambled and I'll let you and everyone else know how it goes.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think if say Surefire will buy Arc as I am guessing they have the capital it may be a good move. Keep the SAME body just change the light engine. I know they have their own AAA Titan now but I think the Arc AAA body is a classic for both the regular and Titanium versions. I dare say it might be one of the best AAA designs I ever used. It feels right in the hand and is easy to operate. Given the natural small size of AAA lights Arc got the design just about perfect. Like I said before time is right because of advancements in led efficiency and output. Arc AAA the design is key and it should not go to waste.
HDS is doing great because Henry has been keeping up with the times and improved the design and I think the business side is also run like it should be.
I hope Arc will do the same thing.