WOW!!! This is nuts!!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Definitely look at modding lights, it's fun and you can end up with pretty cool results.

Welcome to the club!

RedfishBluefish

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: now put that $150 back in the bank and forget you ever found us.
If you don't and end up :broke: with a house/car/shed(s)/pockets full of lights.....
I warned you. :p

Exactly! Back out the way you came in and don't look back! I'm a newb here also on CPF and my wife say's that I've developed a previously unknown OCD condition with "Effing" flashlights/parts/etc. Just guessing, but she takes those fancy dive lights we use for granted and that's normal.

To your post, if you only have a buck-fifty : 1) Solarforce L2P is cheap and fits lots of P60 drop-ins. 2) Go to LED Forum, see the P60 drop-ins sticky and check out BigC' sticky, make up your own mind, but keep in mind voltage limitations/requirements. Might want to check out Nailbender's custom drop-ins. 3) Go to the Battery forum and read up on batts and chargers, then read some more. Maybe want to take a look at the Pila IBC for 123's and 18650's, that's until you go the RC hobby-charger route. Long-story short, you might just make the $150.00, but it's a slippery slope. Once you take the plunge, you'll find that there are Lots of interesting things out there. Good luck to you and welcome, I'm on the Highway to Hell. :party:

rtrwv

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: now put that $150 back in the bank and forget you ever found us.
If you don't and end up :broke: with a house/car/shed(s)/pockets full of lights.....
I warned you. :p

The shame of this forum for me is I have only posted 11 times read at least 10,000 posts been a member since 2005 and own 60 different flashlights. I wish Beamhead would have made that post 50 flashlights ago. Thanks anyway I love this forum and the good folks here too!

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is fantastic advice. The L2P is a very versatile host. It takes the ubiquitous P60 drop in (Nailbender's drop ins do offer amazing performance for your dollar) and it can take both CR-123s or 18650 rechargeables.

You also mentioned Oveready... their bored SureFire hosts will offer the same flexibility with some additional options (anodizing, Cerakote, etc) and arguably even better quality.

Exactly! Back out the way you came in and don't look back! I'm a newb here also on CPF and my wife say's that I've developed a previously unknown OCD condition with "Effing" flashlights/parts/etc. Just guessing, but she takes those fancy dive lights we use for granted and that's normal.

To your post, if you only have a buck-fifty : 1) Solarforce L2P is cheap and fits lots of P60 drop-ins. 2) Go to LED Forum, see the P60 drop-ins sticky and check out BigC' sticky, make up your own mind, but keep in mind voltage limitations/requirements. Might want to check out Nailbender's custom drop-ins. 3) Go to the Battery forum and read up on batts and chargers, then read some more. Maybe want to take a look at the Pila IBC for 123's and 18650's, that's until you go the RC hobby-charger route. Long-story short, you might just make the $150.00, but it's a slippery slope. Once you take the plunge, you'll find that there are Lots of interesting things out there. Good luck to you and welcome, I'm on the Highway to Hell. :party:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had an Olight M30 Triton for a year now and it is just a nice WALL OF LIGHT.

It is rated at 700 lumens and has 3 light levels and a strobe/mode button on the side of the tailcap.

Pretty good throw but not a real thrower as such.

I use 2 x 18500 lithium ions without the battery extender tube and it fits easily in my back pocket for walks.

It gives me around an hour on high.

Nicely made and good looking.

Light weight but powerful. :party:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shame of this forum for me is I have only posted 11 times read at least 10,000 posts been a member since 2005 and own 60 different flashlights. I wish Beamhead would have made that post 50 flashlights ago. Thanks anyway I love this forum and the good folks here too!

LOL i dont think anyone realizes the value and meaning of that advise until its too late. :shrug: well, actually if they did, they would be gone already.

big70tom, your definitely in trouble, buying another light without even giving it another days thought, and now your looking at other lights! :laughing: I did the same thing. I would buy'em faster than they can ship'em!

I went the P60 route, from one of the mentioned sites. it came out to be a $200 host, but i dont regret it one bit.

:welcome:hang on to your wallet, its gonna be a slippery ride!

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst you are thinking about your next (ultimate) torch , you really need to buy a Solarforce L2 with the Solarforce three-mode dropin plus a couple of protected Ultrafire 18650 batteries and a charger such as the Soshine SC-S2 or the Trustfire TR-001 ... I have four Solarforces and both these chargers plus eight of these batteries ... For the money they are all great.

When you have deliberated more on the super-dooper torches and chargers and batteries (expensive) , just buy some more Solarforces instead.

On the other hand , you could buy a Maglite 2C or 2D and instal one of the showerhead dropins ... It is the easiest of mods to do and it is amazingly powerful ... With the 2D , you can use either two 18650's or six Eneloop AA's ... You can even just use two D cells , but that would only give you 400 lumens.

Whichever route you choose (I did both) , just enjoy yourself and remember that you will have less disposable income than before you got into torches !

p.s. Don't forget to look at the ITP A1 , A2 and A3 torches.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
march.brown "... but that would only give you 400 lumens."

WHAT!!! Only 400 lumens for a $25 drop-in?!

Seriously, the Fusion 36 is the ultimate budget upgrade for a mag that will make you happy you spent so little money on it.

big70tom, my only advice would be to figure out exactly what you want and aim towards that. Otherwise you WILL spend a lot of money finding out what you want out of a light and end up with a lot of lights that aren't quite what you're looking for.

For example, I have about 20 lights of my own (not including what I've bought for the missus and the kids) and I really only use four of them, Mag with SST-50, TK40, Quark 2AA Tactical and Nitecore EX10.

The Mag with SST-50 is a really bright floody light that is perfect for walking the dog when it's dark. The TK40 is quite throwy and puts a lot of light a good distance (runs on eneloops too). Quark Tactical is a great work light for it's modes and floody beam. EX10 is great for EDC use.

I only use my other lights (sometimes) because I've invested so much money in them and some of them are so purpose specific I don't need them often but when I do it's good to have them.

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
Congrats! I love my Olight T20-M. Looking forward to getting an M31.