your favorite walking shoes

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I began to buy her a new pair every hundred days or so in order to always have a pair nice and springy.

Every hundred days?! I mentioned I'm replacing these Asics yearly after 3,000+ miles..

Last year I switched from ASICS Gel Kayano 20 Lite Show to ASICS Fuzex Lyte.

The 20s were the last of the stiffer sole Kayanos, the 21s onward are notably cushier.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Released this week; reflective holographic oil-slicked madness:
36162323455_752d989cfc_o.jpg

36162321575_1b8f023b32_o.jpg

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interested about how you think about the new pair StarHalo? Would you recommend it for jog, hike and run on urban terrain?

Sharpie

Newly Enlightened
They look great. Interested in your impressions.

I still wear my Kayano 12's from time to time. A little beat up but I ran my first and only marathon in them 11 years ago and don't want to trash them until they completely fall apart.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Kayanos are for distance walking or casual jogging, not for sprinting or anything that requires abrupt changes of direction. If you need to do a lot of walking or are in a friendly marathon that you want to merely participate in and not dominate, these are as good as it gets with unusually light weight, a very comfortable step that borders on cushy, and a velvety sock liner that makes cheap/no socks feel expensive.

I don't know if you know my backstory, but I work in an Amazon Fulfillment Center, a warehouse where everything that you see on Amazon is physically stored; I walk between 12-15 miles a day and manage an even 3000 miles per year, so comfortable shoes that last are not optional. I've been wearing Kayanos for over three years and own at least one pair of every version since version 20. A bit of water and a brush every so often and the shoes look pretty much the same as new, after ~3000 miles the interior and exterior/bottom sole show mild wear and that's it, these shoes are like alien technology compared to what's sold at the mall..

I've only put a few dozen yards on these today, but they're representative of Kayanos in general; very comfortable out of the box, I'd gladly just throw them on and then go work my shift (which I've done with new pairs before, and will do with these tomorrow.) If you don't need the oil-slick reflector bits, the standard version is ~$20 cheaper. I'd also recommend the version 22 Kayanos which you can still find for only ~$100.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
StarHalo, that's just about perfect. I'll go grab one soon. Thank you for your helpful reply. Good luck!

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
The 20s were the last of the stiffer sole Kayanos, the 21s onward are notably cushier.

Ah, that explains why I was so disappointed with the 20s after having tried on and sized myself in 21s. I ended up buying the 20s online because they were on a huge price drop. Should've just got the 21s because I loved the cushion in them. Live and learn.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Ah, that explains why I was so disappointed with the 20s after having tried on and sized myself in 21s. I ended up buying the 20s online because they were on a huge price drop. Should've just got the 21s because I loved the cushion in them. Live and learn.

Amazon still has a large selection of 22s available which are very similar comfort-wise to the 21s, but with a more resilient and easier-to-clean exterior. I'd say the 24s are on par as well, but you won't find them on sale yet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ No worries of them being hard to find in the closet...

Stevie Wonder could see those.

Still wearing my Rockports. I did break out a new pair to wear to work though. The office dwellers were scared all the tranny fluid and other bio-hazards attached to the uppers would cause pre-mature births and such...
Snowflakes; gotta love 'em.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
New kicks; the 90's were Air Jordans, the 00's were Crocs, but the '10s belong to the Adidas Ultra Boosts - it's basically a big sock with a fat slab of foam on the bottom, like if The Dude from Big Lebowski designed an athletic shoe. Highly recommended if you'd like something comfortable enough to try falling asleep standing up in:
32647008247_522b28bac0_o.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Shoe reviewer with 400K+ Youtube subscribers, one of the largest sneaker info websites, and many hundreds of pairs of his own shoes reviews the most comfortable of 2018; skip to 12:00 for his overall most-worn winner:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For now.... Merrell Men's Moab 2.

Excellent hiking shoes. I'd strongly recommend keeping a pair of broken-in ones next to your BOB in case you need to actually Bug Out. Toss them on, and grab the BOB. Nothing worse than trekking for miles in the wrong type of shoes. I also like that they aren't ridiculously expensive.

simm

Newly Enlightened
I have slightly wider feet. I've worn ECCOs, Nike, and Keens. None lasted me longer than a year. Nikes separated at the sole, Keens blew out the sides at 8 months, and ECCOs wore through the sides in 6 months (thankfully they sent a replacement pair for free but those wore out pretty quickly, too). I am now using Teva shoes which are so far the most expensive ($170). The rubber around the toes is starting to separate after using them for 3 months, but the inside upper is holding great (it's lamb skin). Most of my other shoes would wear through the heel inside the shoe, so I am hoping these Tevas hold up.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For now.... Merrell Men's Moab 2.
Excellent hiking shoes. I'd strongly recommend keeping a pair of broken-in ones next to your BOB in case you need to actually Bug Out. Toss them on, and grab the BOB. Nothing worse than trekking for miles in the wrong type of shoes. I also like that they aren't ridiculously expensive.

Ditto. Bought a waterproof pair for a British Isles vacation and they were exceptional on cobblestone and in all weather conditions.

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Unfortunately, I need shoes with an arch shank and plenty of padding for the sole. My current favorites are the Drew Voyager (bought with coupons on the Web) and Merrell Adventure with Timberland Pro insoles replacing the stock ones.