your favorite walking shoes

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you guys get Asolo shoes and boots over there? They're made in Italy, and I swear that the moulds they use are exactly the same shape as my feet.
I'm just about to retire a pair of well used ones, my very first pair, after about 20 years.
P

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asolo shiver gv have been my only and year round shoes for 10 years. I buy them off the bay every time I see a pair, since they are discontinued. Have 3 or 4 of them waiting for their turn

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Fun fact: The least comfortable Nikes in your local store are any of the Air models, even their $40 dad shoes from last season in the back of the outlet store are more comfortable than Airs; these new-this-week Elements use the same sole material as those dad shoes:
40936269953_af8ddb7363_o.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Translucent fully breathable mesh upper with design from a photo of a sunset, more of that dad-shoe-comfy React sole material, $60. Gotta watch those sales..
47981047872_0cef94b629_o.jpg

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave these a try after a few years of leather Dr Scholls: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HP6P7C9/?tag=cpf0b6-20

So far it is like walking on oddly stable clouds with an angel waving palm fronds on my feet with each step.

For walking on trails I have Coluimbia trail shoes, and at the gym a set of Asics. As I get more wise in my years I have learned the importance of proper footwear for the task and it need not cost a mint to keep you feet happy either.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I gave these a try after a few years of leather Dr Scholls: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HP6P7C9/?tag=cpf0b6-20

So far it is like walking on oddly stable clouds with an angel waving palm fronds on my feet with each step.

That's New Balance's version of Nike React/Adidas Boost, but because it's NB it's easier to find cheaper.

I just wanted to say thank you for the link. I've been searching for something like that for years.

I have about eight pairs of Thorlos walking/max cushion crew socks that I've used for many years at my job where I walk 12-15 miles a day; they're still whole and comfortable with a thousand plus miles on them, a seriously engineered sock.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok don't laugh. For work I wear Skechers Men's Work Relaxed Fit Flex Advantage McAllen SR Slip-on
o8qNCd3zb37E5zmaqSvwNZicGKnsmgRp_iULIoku0C9NaIGxcTLeevsi2jXsovTIZ67jdFfXIfCb7kIecMIHbXE_8czvnkIxwA7DgJsig_vrW-xuW8lkckSYVRF0226BRtac6LJXpF2AEUnoM9De8bTvDgwsj58eGF4c9ibddVoSODyid0X2Lkvnu9SmohE47gcS569JN7OgoudPLLhLmkv6gvSibOtGmJQgGER4RqYII1Atcq2pY6EGJTYzY7vhfBAg8-qFskpxR88jzE-mWVpNrDkOOEUZWuaPgl5kLv9dUPUdZ_poljCrNWk2xIaD3ytAXg0YmHwgd0Ei_Cwxq7gWc3caDdizbQf87Zw4HcYYcljtnw8u_g4PgM0kay3K-kQ_3jaiHlwnWWTxTczxp18n9O9pEHlURBx8fd9CDKjfYQBEDsDoMak_S-swXnKSvFp0N5nLtKX8dX7XPw5dVasa59tLNCphFN-jmOCNs0tbkwymMhFuxhW5fgUzDrn2rCbM_As3YYjcKlUei-cThn7ZcAoH-elPHIBEkGi36kcgST5wwAyfXE3EOCYxGUTCdqgmh9LlfkHm6dXqJt1gT9otaX2ifgh5lqJNb-KlbeMxTjYkRXNgiRuGbMQ8bpk7hsYxky6SahagV8Uem_YJT0tECSY8GgSM=w1250-h937-no

And my walking shoes at home are Skechers GoWalk Evolution Ultra.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I am on my feet quite a bit, walking while pulling a hand truck to deliver merchandise, and a lot of standing. Currently I am mostly wearing Skechers Country Walkers and Asics, but really the shoe brand is no longer as important to me as the insoles I put in practically all of my shoes. My left arch started giving me a bunch of grief about a year and a half ago, and while trying out many different insoles I discovered SOLE brand insoles. Someone had written a review in which they said, "These are the ones you're looking for," so I tried a pair. It was true. They mold to the feet for a custom-like fit, either by heating in the oven (fast method) or through general use (slow method). The arch support is ample, and like I say it customizes itself to the user's arch. Nothing else I've tried ever came close to the SOLE insoles; they have saved me from misery. My Skechers are high volume shoes (lots of toe room) so I use the thick insoles; for other shoes I use medium (less cushioning but same great support). I'd recommend the SOLE inserts to anyone. (And no, I don't own stock in the company or anything.)

While we're on the subject of footwear, and socks have been mentioned, I hate socks that hold the leg in a Vulcan Death Grip and leave imprints in the skin. I like my socks to fit rather loosely on the leg, and if they sag a bit, so be it. KMart had great, inexpensive acrylic socks I liked, but they're gone now. About the only comfortable socks I've found lately are the Dr. Scholl diabetic socks (but I'm not diabetic). I've even taken to wearing ankle socks now in warmer months (but that doesn't fly when it gets cold). Has anyone else found synthetic-fiber socks with some bulk that fit loosely on the calf? TIA.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Nothing else I've tried ever came close to the SOLE insoles; they have saved me from misery. My Skechers are high volume shoes (lots of toe room) so I use the thick insoles; for other shoes I use medium (less cushioning but same great support). I'd recommend the SOLE inserts to anyone. (And no, I don't own stock in the company or anything.)

I haven't had any issues with my arches, but can say a lot of insoles are harder than how cushioned all the shoes pictured above are; they're basically like standing on a workplace ergo mat that has that rubber bubble wrap feel, there's just a touch of sink-in to it, definitely nothing you'd need to tamper with. And the Thorlos socks feel about as thick as insoles.

Has anyone else found synthetic-fiber socks with some bulk that fit loosely on the calf? TIA.

The Thorlos are all synthetic and about as thick as thin carpeting on the bottom of the foot; they hug securely around the center of the foot like diabetic socks, but are otherwise a comfortable standard fit.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Thanks for that about the Thorlo socks, I'm reading up on them. It doesn't look like they help specifically with a fallen arch (my issue), but cushioning is good to have and I may try some.

My arches are rather high and I've never found any shoes or inserts that support and cradle my arches the way these insoles do. Actually my left arch has occasionally felt a twinge now and then for, oh, 30 years. But it never actually pained me outright until a bit over a year ago... I was in some Saucony Grid Cohesions at the time and I think the uneven footbed on that pair triggered the problem becoming full-blown.

(Edit) - Thorlo lists a different sock for every activity under the sun. Do they all truly have different characteristics? (What difference between a hiking sock and a walking sock??) Or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
(Edit) - Thorlo lists a different sock for every activity under the sun. Do they all truly have different characteristics? (What difference between a hiking sock and a walking sock??) Or is it just a marketing gimmick?

There are subtle differences between all of them, but if you're just looking for comfort, note the cushioning level; the ones I mentioned above are here.