Your top 5 lights to handle all needs

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. ZL H600w mk2 for all purpose lighting.
2. ZL H602w for doing work in the dark. -that's what I have.
Or for even more versatility/redundancy I'd replace the H602W for an H600Fw instead and settle for losing a little bit of arm's length work light optimization in exchange for an all purpose compromise.
3. Rayovac 2AA "Indestructible" for a car light that can be given away in a roadside emergency and then immediately replaced.
4. I'm still hunting around for #4, a minimalist all purpose, long running, high quality AA light;
the L3 L10 AA Nichia is a top contender.
I'm tempted to get an L11c 4 mode Nichia and seeing if they've potted the light head and if it will work well on an L10 twisty body. Not very economical, but if all works well I could put the L10 head on the L11c case and pass it on to a friend.
#5 could be anything, so many options for different situations. something AAA powered, a third AA light, or the long lived 9 volt Paklite,
an Armytek Viking or an even better thrower?
Maybe just an led bulb insert that is sold to replace incan bulbs, one with a nice and wide voltage range?
I love my HDS HCRI Rotary, but due to its CR123 diet it can't make the list.

Last edited:

Shannan

Newly Enlightened
1. Fenix e05, everyday carry, 3 modes and super bright with only a single aaa

2. Fenix e12, stashed in the emergency go-bag, an awesome little unit. 3 well spaced modes on a single aa, it'll be my end of the world everyday carry.;)

3. Varta Indestructible 2aa, (aka the Rayovac for all you U.S lads) great cheap led for the car in case of break down etc... nothing fancy but its tough

4. Fenix e21, by the bedside table, the low and hi modes look pretty much the same indoors but its bright enough for checking the yard at night

5. zippo lighter, its about keeping it classy!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD35vn triple XPL - My favorite EDC with a nice floody beam for close-up tasks

Armytek Wizard Pro Warm - Awesome headlamp for all sorts of uses

Fenix TK75vnkt - My favorite light with a good amount of throw, also has some decent flood - basically my favorite monster light

Nitecore TM06vn - Pocketable powerhouse for midrange throw and plenty of flood

Fenix LD01 - Keep it around as a backup all the time

GatorMedic

Newly Enlightened
1. Fenix PD35 - It's my on-duty light and gets used by far the most out of all my flashlights. I also keep another one in my truck. Great size, great features, dependable, great all purpose light.

2. L3 Illumination L11C - My off-duty light (well the L10C was, I just got the L11C today in the mail). Just the right size for off-duty--not too big and not too small. Perfect mode spacing. Love the Nichia tint and firefly mode is the greatest thing ever.

3. Streamlight Siege lantern
- Dependable lantern that has a lot of great features. Being able to hang it by the handle or by the D-rings is extremely helpful. Will work great during hurricane season, power outages, and also for general outdoor use.

4. Black Diamond Spot headlamp
- Solid headlamp with a good array of features. Love being able to choose between throw, flood, or red light with infinite adjustability of light output.

Streamlight TLR3 weapon light - Have this on my Glock that I use for night time. Light is bright and works every time. That's all I need for a weapon light.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire L1 - EDC
surefire L1 - back up EDC
surefire C2 - work/task light
surefire E2DL - back up work/task/edc light
zebralight H501w - headlamp

jruser

Newly Enlightened
1. EDC - SC62w. Any time I leave the house, this is clipped to my pocket. If I am being honest, this gets 99% of the light usage. I have many other lights in this category, but the size/output/capacity combination makes this unique.

2. Keychain - Peak Eiger copper nichia 219 qtc. If the sc62w were to fail, this is my backup. Not completely pleased with this light. Have a TiS nw and preon revo nw that I keep switching between. Seem to have settled on the Eiger with reservations.

3. Messenger bag - Nitecore SRT5. If I were ever away from the house in a defensive situation, I would grab this. This is a tough one, not many good alternatives. Would like to replace with an HDS tactical nichia 200.

4. Home defense - Armytek Predator Pro v2.5 nw. If I at home and have a weapon in one hand, this light is in the other. I am selling it a bit short. I trust this light to always come on, more than anything else I have ever owned.

5. Throw - Olight M2x-UT. Not that I ever need massive throw, but this is close by in the house just in case. Almost chose D25LC2 color here since it is unique. Not sure if I am more likely to need throw or RGB output.

Kingfisher

Enlightened
1. Fenix EO5 - Keychain.
2. Nitecore D11 R5 V2 - General round the house, piston ramp with good range of brightness levels.
3. Nitecore EA41 - Car, great on easy obtainable AA batteries, mini searchlight and fun when out in the sticks total darkness!
4. Surefire E2DL - Nightstand.
5. Surefire Fury - EDC/Nightstand back up / I love Surefire.

burntoshine

Enlightened
1. Zebralight H600w mkII: rides and fires - I use this mainly for night bicycle rides, which I do quite often. And the ride to work is before the lazy sun gets up. Also, this light is my best friend when I combine night rides with fires on the river; gathering driftwood and fiddling with things by the fire. And I usually carry the H600w (mkI) as backup. This light is an absolute must-have in my book.

2. HDS (high cri) rotary: primary EDC - This light always (with very few exceptions) goes with me when I leave the house. It's my most reliable (or maybe 2nd, compared to my HDS clicky), has the best tint (in my opinion, of course) and is easy to adjust to the perfect level on the fly. Probably my favorite light; the H600w mkII being a close second.

3. 7777 (warm high cri) MiNi CR2: secondary EDC - This light also likes to tag along when I leave the house. My wife made a nice little case out of corduroy for it, so I can throw it in my pocket without too much worry of scratching the lens. I like this little lantern mainly because of its size; and that it's significantly bright for its size, too. It's a great tool that's easy to hold onto or hold in your mouth. This has been a favorite ever since the CR2 Mini was released in neutral white, and even more so when 7777 made the limited warm high cri run. I own three (all warm high cri).

4a. Zebralight SC52w: primary work EDC, bicycle EDC and backpack EDC - This light gets used quite a bit at work. I carry a spare 14500 in a battery locker. [sidenote: I carry one of my 7777 warm high cri MiNi CR2s (as backup for work) in one pocket and a spare CR2 in a case, in another pocket.] I also clip the '52 to my belt when I go out on rides (day and night). And when our family heads out away from home, I slip the '52w in my backpack, along with bottles of water and granola bars; just in case.

4b. Zebralight SC62w: nighttime additional EDC, around the house EDC and backpack EDC - I carry this most times when I know I'll be out after dark, especially when I'll be outside for a good portion of the night. It also rides along with '52w in my backpack most times. I virtually always keep this guy clipped to one of my pockets when I'm just chilling inside the homestead. Such a great flashlight!

5. Zebralight H302w: ultimate task light - This another must-have light for me. It's great for all kinds of up-close tasks when I want even light everywhere. It was perfect when I rewired our basement. This light has taken the place of my old H501w. The H501w has been relegated to desk lighting in my studio and gets used just as much as the H302w.

Last edited:

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Daily edc=macs tri with soycd pill.
gotta have for gettin stuff done handsfree=spark 500 headlamp
walk around outside and need to see like daylight= nitecore tiny monster
keychain companion=dqg mini aaa
gotta check out the goulies and spookies far away in my woods=thrunite catapault

Forgive fir sayin, but if i ever lost my mac, after i came out of cardiac arrest from my loss, my HDS would move back into daily edc. I put my mac in my mouth alot so i can do aomething quick handsfree. I stopped daily edc of my HDS because last time i carried it, had to put it in my mouth to do something. Bumped it and chipped my front tooth from the knurling..

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have 4 :eek:

I only have 4 too. My normal working day gear is
1. Fenix E01, keyring
2. Xeno S3A, pocket
3. Sunwayman D40W, bag, power light
4. L3 L10, bag/top pocket/hat/AA emergency

edit: of course this is out of what I have. Only the E01 and L3 L10 would be there if I included my wishlist.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might need to adjust my list. Yesterday I completed a mod on my DQG 18650 Tiny III clicky.

Now it's sporting a 5-mode E-switch driver from Mountain Electronics and triple XPG2. I estimate maximum output on a fresh IMR cell at at 1700-2000 lumens (for a very short period of time... gets hot fast). Entire light with a Samsung 25R 18650 installed is 88mm long and 25mm wide. It's my smallest 18650 triple.

I'll try EDC'ing this awhile. It will replace the Zebralight SC5w I was EDC'ing for the last few weeks. With an IMR 18650 installed this modded DQG weighs less than the Zebralight with its Eneloop Pro and has around 4x the output on a much larger battery.

JonR1

Newly Enlightened
1. Nitecore TM26
I have this thing set up on a ram mount as driving lights on my car and is perfect when camping I set up on tripod for area lighting 4000 lumens of usable light.

2. Nitecore srt7
Great all rounder Its my edc light variable light output very useful especially with diffuser and I use the red light in the truck while I'm driving to find something doesn't affect vision.

3. Led lenser x7r
I bought this before the other two and isn't that far behind the srt7 for output but large head is a little large to edc.

4.Led lenser David 19r
My oldest light and my most used light goes everywhere with me, coke bottle cap makes for perfect red filter/diffuser snaps right on.

5. Ultrafire wf501
Loaner light/boat light

MrJino

Enlightened
I probably only own 5 lights...

If I had to pick just one, it'd be my qr beta.

It's small, always on my keys, and I never need more than the 85 lumens it offers.
And aaa can be found easily.

Given some time, and more money, I'm sure my answer will change.

Johnno

Newly Enlightened
Own lots of lights, but if I had to narrow it down to just 5, they would be:

1. Zebralight H600w mk2
2. Zebralight H600w mk2
3. Zebralight H600w mk2
4. Zebralight H600w mk2
5. Zebralight SC52w L2 (Just in case I want to go somewhat lighter/smaller)

japudjuha

Enlightened
-Wolf Eyes Sniper 2 Pro
good all rounder Aussie police torch
-TK75vn PDT KT
Great size and out performs my Polarion PH40
-Fenix TK70
an old model now, still with good output and doesn't matter
if it gets damaged
-Acebeam K40M
great all rounder from 0.9lm - 3000lm
-Acebeam X60vn
If I want to make sure I have a bigger stick than the next guy lol

JohnSmith

Enlightened
1. HDS 250 Clicky - general purpose EDC
2. Surefire UB3T - handheld thrower
3. Eagletac G25C2 - pocketable thrower
4. Zebralight SC600 MkII - Pocketable flood; backup EDC
5. HDS 325 Rotary - Low level, extended runtime flood (night light use, long term emergencies, etc.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have way more lights than I can count. Here's my list after years of use:

1- SureFire M6 w/ HOLA = When you need output combined with throw for reaching out there.

2- Photon Freedom = When you need something you can take anywhere, simply works, and is actually waterproof.

3- Maratac AA model = Doesn't have to be stainless steel. But mine is. Found it to be the perfect multi-mode EDC light.

4- Milky modded SureFire L1 Xtreme = Ironically, due to everything that has happened with Scott (A.K.A. - MilkySpit) I can't recommend this light to others. A different multi-mode light from others, The Xtreme was my idea that Scott brought to life. Low-mode became medium. High was boosted up. The first single-CR123 based light to give 200+ actual out the front lumens several months before SureFire introduced their production light that could also pull off that trick. High was made to be used with the L1's excellent pressure switch as a true tactical light. The 40 lumens Medium was designed to function as a general purpose light to be switched on by rotating the tailcap to permanent-on. Thus, two separate types of lights contained in one body. I wanted to name it "Gemini," Scott chose "Xtreme." Excellent primary EDC light for those who prefer the CR123 form factor but in a light long enough to accommodate all four fingers around the barrel.

5- Princeton Tec EOS = It's one of the best headlamps out there, bar none. Let's you have two hands free to take care of any tasks.

Top 5. But with honorable mention going to my Fenix L0D rebel80.
Had to mention it. It came through for me one night when I truly needed a light to work.... and my Night-Ops Gladius let me down in a miserable way. I'll never forget that night. Neither will the young security officer who kept getting accidentally electrocuted by the car battery. He ended up resenting me later on for something that wasn't my fault. But that was years ago, he had started out as an in-house security officer, and likely now makes nearly $40,000 a year. So he's got nothing to be upset about anymore.

Lighteous

Enlightened
1. JetBeamRRT01 – XM-L2
2. Malkoff MD2 –M61 turnkey hi/low
3. Four Sevens- Quark X – 1232
4. HDS Rotary –200
5. ZebraLight –SC600