Zebralight C3 4x18650, 9000 lumens!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The impressive output of those other brands quickly takes a steep dive though. ZL is better known for their outstanding drivers, which, it appears, only Olight can come close to matching. ZL still stands alone in many aspects.
This exactly. What good is 10k lumens if it's got a dumb 30 second turbo timer built in. That's cheating. Zebra will do it better.... assuming they actually do it.

Nichia!

Banned
You just made my day Sir thank you very much:)
Man I visit ZL website 20-30 times every single day! That's how much I love them..
It's The best thing to do well done Zebralight, you are my absolute favorite brand. I really hope that you improve your quality of the HA and switches and time to offer life time warranty.
I think if they ever do everything in the USA MADE Way they will make Surefire out of business soon. They will be the next indescribable light (I hope)

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have some good news. About two weeks I was talking to ZL staff about H53Fc's UI and asked about the C3. ZL's response was that the C3's R&D process has been completed a few months ago and is planned to be manufactured in their shiny new factory located in Texas... but the problems is they don't know when.

I decided not to share this info (but since you are wondering...) as this just sounded like a far fetched plan from ZL. R&D completed for months but have no idea when does manufacturing start? Damn. Also with brands like Acebeam, Imalent and Olight coming up with models that puts out 15,000+ lumens, and vn modded lights capable of delivering even crazier figures, the 9,000 lumens from C3 is not so impressive on paper anymore. It's nice to hear that they plan to label the light with "made in USA" but price will surely go up.

On a side note, ZL will introduce a "4th generation" model (SC600 MK4, SC64, H600 MK4) later this year with "the new UI and other improvements" but they haven't decided on which model yet. A H600Fc MK4/SC64Fc would be perfect for me.

Does that mean the same crap anodizing as their other US anodized lights?

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly is the"crap" US anodizing? I've only had 5 Zebralights and all have had outstanding anodizing. They haven't all been the same exact color, but all have been extremely durable.

markr6

Flashaholic
What exactly is the"crap" US anodizing? I've only had 5 Zebralights and all have had outstanding anodizing. They haven't all been the same exact color, but all have been extremely durable.

Same here. They've only gotten better with time IMO. Not that my first (H51w from Jan. 2013) was bad, but I didn't like the olive color and thin-ish look. Now they're darker, almost gray with a thicker anodizing to where it almost looks like some type of enamel. I like it!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Zebra did try some US-based manufacturing in the past but as I recall the "crap" issue with those lights was a less reliable switch, not bad anodizing. But maybe I'm mis-remembering.

As far as Zebra's ano goes, I've always like it. Its just natural, so yeah there's lots of color variation in it, but I like that. Solid jet black lights get boring after a while, cause everyone makes those. I'm happy to see some variation, even when it results in some color-mismatch, just to break up the monotony. Zebra's current production is a much more even gray color, leading me to think they're adding some light dye to the mix now, which is probably a good thing for sales, but I just hope they don't ever go solid black like everyone else.

Mattz68

Newly Enlightened
I think somewhere around 2013/14 Zebralight tried to do the anodizing in the U.S. -but initial batches (don't remember which ones) had "blotchy" and inconsistent anodizing. I commend Zebralight for trying to manufacture here, hopefully their new factory works out! As far as the "C3"goes, I've always promised myself to never buy light for pure fun, but...if they make a C or D Hi-cri version -I'll be 1st in line! (Also, just a little "throw" to keep it from a pure flooder beam profile)

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've purchased an SC63W from them a few months ago or longer that had a much darker and smoother finish than their other lights. I suspected something. Was different but chose to ignore it, until I dropped the light from waist height and a piece about an eighth of an inch flaked off. They claimed this was to be expected but I've had close to 15 of their lights and I know of the variances and what to expect, this was a flaw.

Being aware of their past attempts to bring the anodizing stateside, I suspect I was a victim of some beta testing of some sort, an assumption of course.

markr6

Flashaholic
until I dropped the light from waist height and a piece about an eighth of an inch flaked off.

That's not good! I didn't even think that was possible with anodizing. I thought it was less of a coating and more something that formed and "became one" with the aluminum. Almost like rust or oxidation.

Connor

Enlightened
It is possible - and normal - because the aluminum beneath the coating is very soft in comparison. An impact on a sharp edge of some sort can form a cavity in the metal and the anodisation above (super hard but also super brittle) has nothing to hold on to anymore and will flake off.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
It is possible - and normal - because the aluminum beneath the coating is very soft in comparison. An impact on a sharp edge of some sort can form a cavity in the metal and the anodisation above has nothing to hold on to anymore and will flake off.

That makes sense, thanks!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Wikipedia and anodizing.org, it should not peel or flake off. It's not a coating.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
It is possible - and normal - because the aluminum beneath the coating is very soft in comparison. An impact on a sharp edge of some sort can form a cavity in the metal and the anodisation above (super hard but also super brittle) has nothing to hold on to anymore and will flake off.
Not at all! True anodisation is not a film coating. If it is flaking it is something else!

Last edited:

Connor

Enlightened
It's not a coating, it's an oxide layer growing both into and on the outside of the aluminum. Under normal circumstances it will not flake off "unless severely deformed or stressed by excessive thermal movement".
It's a different material than the aluminum and has different properties (e.g. it is much harder and much more brittle) and of course it can still be damaged. I invite you to hammer a decent (sharp) dent into your HAIII light and see what happens. :caution::mecry:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a coating, it's an oxide layer growing both into and on the outside of the aluminum. Under normal circumstances it will not flake off "unless severely deformed or stressed by excessive thermal movement".
It's a different material than the aluminum and has different properties (e.g. it is much harder and much more brittle) and of course it can still be damaged. I invite you to hammer a decent (sharp) dent into your HAIII light and see what happens. :caution::mecry:

Sure it will crack, and you can certainly grind it down with abrasion, but does it detach from the bare aluminum below, e.g. flake off or peel off?

markr6

Flashaholic
HAHA! I'm trying to be patient. I told myself early on "plan for mid-2018". I think anytime this year would be reasonable; likely busy with all the other new models. With the SC6330 gone, we need another powerhouse!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this is just not a priority because it is such a flooded market space. There are so many of these Coke can lights already and they really aren't the most practice lights to begin with imo. Has anyone asked ZL if they even still plan to release this?