ZebraLight H502 XM-L

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Re: ZebraLight H502 X-ML

The H302 (cr123) XM-L, will be smaller, but dimensions are still unknown... My guess: 2.5" x .9"

- Jas.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am so looking forward to this light. I have been happy with the H501 and H51w. The size increase from H501 to H51w is significant, but I got used to that. I have been wearing my H51w around my neck for a good 4 months now. The H502 appears to be a hair smaller than the H51. That is impressively small considering that the emitter used is XM-L. Finally, a true replacement for the H501 will be available.

I have also gotten used to and now love the clip on my H51w. It's sturdy enough and has really good gripping strength. It can rotate which makes it a good stabilizer to help with the bouncing when the light is used as a headlamp. It can be removed easily when needed. I hope Zebralight won't change the clip. If they do change it, at least keep the rotating function.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also noticed that the H51 uses the same thin battery spring as the H501. I hope Zebralight will use a thicker and stronger spring for the H502 like the one they use in their bigger lights. Adding a magnet to the tail cap greatly enhances the versatility of a my H501. Unfortunately, the magnet was strong enough a pull the battery toward the tail end of the light. Eventually, after about 8 months of this stress, the spring weakened and the battery stopped making contact at the head of the light. For the H51w, I weaken the magnet's impact on the spring by putting a penny between tail cap and the magnet.

If it took 8 months of repeated stress to have an impact on a pretty thin contact spring, I am sure a thicker and stronger spring like the one used in their big lights will prevent this problem from occurring.

Last edited:

uknewbie

Banned
I would, all things even, go for the 18650 model H600, but this model is all flood, which is what I am after.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Very excited to see this!

The H51FW for me is like a hybrid bike, decent at everything but not particularly good at any one thing. I find it very tiring to use for close up work...and excited to see what a "true" flood experience is like for close up work.

I REALLY hope they improve the headband, and mostly the silicone strap bit. Everything else will be icing for me.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am fine with the headband. I just wished the headbands are put up for sale separately so that we could always buy one when it has worn.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am fine with the headband. I just wished the headbands are put up for sale separately so that we could always buy one when it has worn.

Although I don't think the headbands are listed as a separate item on the ZebraLight website, I asked about it and they sell them for just $2 (USD). Total cost including shipping charge is about $5 shipped to a U.S. address. That's for the headband only and not including the mount or other hardware for the light.

Also -- if I'm interpreting the message I received correctly -- if you order a new ZebraLight headlamp and want an extra headband, I think they will include an extra for free if you ask for it as part of the order (headband only, no extra hardware accessories).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I don't think the headbands are listed as a separate item on the ZebraLight website, I asked about it and they sell them for just $2 (USD). Total cost including shipping charge is about $5 shipped to a U.S. address. That's for the headband only and not including the mount or other hardware for the light.

Also -- if I'm interpreting the message I received correctly -- if you order a new ZebraLight headlamp and want an extra headband, I think they will include an extra for free if you ask for it as part of the order (headband only, no extra hardware accessories).

Wow thanks! That is valuable information! Well to me at least. I will check with ZL when my headband has worn. If I had known this earlier I would have asked because right now as it is I have an SC600 and two H31Fw on the way to me. So I guess it is too late.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks! That is valuable information! Well to me at least. I will check with ZL when my headband has worn. If I had known this earlier I would have asked because right now as it is I have an SC600 and two H31Fw on the way to me. So I guess it is too late.

Yeah, that's an exceptionally reasonable price for extra headbands, and even if it cost a couple of dollars to add an extra one to an order that's a really small price for the extra. If ZebraLight will actually add an extra for free to an order -- well, that's really cool (and the free extra on request was the way it was stated to me).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's an exceptionally reasonable price for extra headbands, and even if it cost a couple of dollars to add an extra one to an order that's a really small price for the extra. If ZebraLight will actually add an extra for free to an order -- well, that's really cool (and the free extra on request was the way it was stated to me).

Yes that's true. Would be nice if they allow an additional order for the headband while placing an order for the lights. I wouldn't mind even if they charged $5 for it.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes that's true. Would be nice if they allow an additional order for the headband while placing an order for the lights. I wouldn't mind even if they charged $5 for it.

Don't give them any ideas. I still wish they used the glow in the dark silicone holders instead of the more grippy black rubbery holders for the headlamps.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm hoping for a low-low in line with the SC600... :) Thinking that if they both use XM-L, maybe the drivers will be similar.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't give them any ideas. I still wish they used the glow in the dark silicone holders instead of the more grippy black rubbery holders for the headlamps.

When I ordered an H501w (AA) headlamp about three months ago they sent me both the glow-in-the-dark and black holders for the headband.

It looks like the AA headlamps come with both holders but the CR123A headlamps come with only the black holder.

Did they used to provide the CR123A version with a glow-in-the-dark holder, too? Or were they always with the black holder only?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I ordered their older H30w that was on clearance, it came with the Glow in the Dark holder. All the seconde generation Zebralights seem to be black holders only. The 501 is an anomaly as they still sell it, but it is technically a first generation light, even though they tweaked it to add the 2nd low to the UI. That would explain why it is the only one to still come with the GITD holder. Also the H30 holder diameter is smaller than the H31 without it stretching it out. The same would be true of trying to fit an H51 into the older H50 GITD holder.

When I ordered an H501w (AA) headlamp about three months ago they sent me both the glow-in-the-dark and black holders for the headband.

It looks like the AA headlamps come with both holders but the CR123A headlamps come with only the black holder.

Did they used to provide the CR123A version with a glow-in-the-dark holder, too? Or were they always with the black holder only?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I ordered their older H30w that was on clearance, it came with the Glow in the Dark holder. All the seconde generation Zebralights seem to be black holders only. The 501 is an anomaly as they still sell it, but it is technically a first generation light, even though they tweaked it to add the 2nd low to the UI. That would explain why it is the only one to still come with the GITD holder. Also the H30 holder diameter is smaller than the H31 without it stretching it out. The same would be true of trying to fit an H51 into the older H50 GITD holder.

All the H51 models seem to come with both the GITD holders and the black holders as well (like the H501). It looks like all the ZebraLight AA headlamps come with both, as far as I can tell.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Varuscelli, that's news to me. Any of the H51 threads since they've been out, I've failed to even notice the GITD holders, and I normally see only the black ones. Anyone have a picture?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Varuscelli, that's news to me. Any of the H51 threads since they've been out, I've failed to even notice the GITD holders, and I normally see only the black ones. Anyone have a picture?

Don't have a pic, but they're kind of pastey-white in the light. They glow neon green in the dark.

All of my ZL's have come with both GITD and regular black brackets.

Latest posts