Zebralight SC52W - the best compact light I've experienced.

Willie

Newly Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC52W - man, isn't this just about as good as a compact light gets?

In snakeyjake's defense the thread title is posed as a question. "Isn't this just about as good as a compact light gets?" He basically answered "no".

And to suggest that this thread should only contain praise and if you don't have any don't post is silly. You have to expect both sides when it is a question, and besides, since when is it wrong to disagree in threads? Saying this is as close to perfect is just an opinion afterall. It is not a fact.

Last edited:

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight SC52W - man, isn't this just about as good as a compact light gets?

I only have the CW (when I needed to purchase a tiny yet powerful 1AA light the w wasn't out or I would have bought it) but I pretty much agree. The only thing that would make me happier would be if the ramp started from medium when you were in medium. Other than that its perfect. I much prefer the ridge lines on the body over the smooth body of my SC51w.

TronPlayer

Newly Enlightened

If I didn't need to orient the switch to my thumb it would be...
If I didn't have to cycle through the modes in one direction it would be...
If it had a more intuitive UI, such as a magnetic control ring...it would...
If it was a smooth tube (not gnarly) it would be...

...perfect.

To each his own since if any of these were included with the sc52w (especially the magnetic control ring) I would not have purchased it. I have an SRT7 and while I like the ring, this post is about a perfect "compact light". Obviously going by snakyjake logic "perfect" would mean 1,000,000 hours runtime on high.

snakyjake

Enlightened

Thanks Willie. I took the thread as a question. And I'm not the type of person that rests on laurels. I don't have the attitude "there will never be a perfect light, so quit trying".

I only mentioned the control ring and similar as a concept, not an implementation (until someone asked which one I have). The Sunwayman V series is a hybrid implementation of a button and a ring, which does not achieve the objective I'm looking for. The Sunwayman M series is not infinitely variable, has fixed outputs, and no button for multiple hand positions. Jetbeam RRT01 is similar to the Sunwayman M. Again, I'm only mentioning concepts, not implementations. If there any negatives with the implementation, I expect future improvements.

Zebralight has nearly perfected the single button interface.

I'm a strong proponent of the control ring ("dial") concept. If I had to use the Zebralight UI for my cooking burners or radio, it would drive me nuts!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

snakyjake... I guess I was a bit harsh on you last night... I've refreshed my views. Certainly, your opinion is every bit as valid, for you, as others are for them. Good thing is you can have whatever light you prefer, for your individual needs. There are so very many lights available these days... that there is something well suited to everyone's needs.

In my experience, this is one of the best compact lights made to date; some would say it IS the best compact light, so far... but like all other lights, of course, it falls short of perfection. Few, if any, man made products are perfect. And if this light isn't for your particular needs... go for whatever one is.

I don't plan on liquidating my SWM V11R, as it is a good quality and useful light to have on hand. But I immediately learned that I prefer using the SC52W as my EDC light, and that the V11R will see very little use. The very compact size, superb ergonomics, and numerous features of the SC52W are the "home run" for me. :)

Last edited:

creyc

Enlightened

Bit of a ZebraLight circlejerk in here. Sounding oddly like a paid advertisement from that subject line!

No, the SC52 is not "as good as it gets", because for one this is a completely opinion driven statement, and secondly there will always be room for improvement as long as technology keeps improving.

It's a nice light with probably my favorite single button UIs. I think there are better UI's than the single button, however. Control rings are about as simple and intuitive as I've ever seen in a flashlight. I'm still hoping for one in a native AA diameter.

The SC52 is small but because the head is quite a bit wider than the body it's not a very sleek light. I prefer my Eagletac D25A for daily carry because it slips out of a pocket easier. Having the button on the back also makes it quicker to find than the side mounted switch of the SC52. I can pickup the D25A from my nightstand and instantly know where the button is without re-orienting the light.

The ZL has good output for a single AA, but then so does my Eagletac and many other. I can't fault the SC52 for its tint which seems to be quite consistent, but the same cannot be said of the SC52W, with over 40% of responders to a recent poll (on these forums) mentioning a strong non-neutral tint to their lights, most commonly an awful green. This is unacceptable on a light of this caliber, if nothing but for the wild inconsistency.

Overall the SC52 is a pretty good light, but if this is as good as it gets, that would be extremely disappointing!

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened

snakyjake said:
... If I had to use the Zebralight UI for my cooking burners or radio, it would drive me nuts!

Seriously? That statement is not at all valid, were not talking about burners or radios here, its not even apples to oranges, thats more like apples to card board boxes.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like a "circle jerk" (to use your crass and crude analogy) because there are so many forum members that strongly appreciate this light.

As for the D25A or D25C... I have them both. They're wonderful lights. They were my EDC before getting the SC52W. I like those Eagletacs, but the rear switch is awkward to use, when compared to the ZL.

Once familiar with the feel of the ZL, you can easily position the light in your hand, by feel, for controlling the button. And when the light is in your hand being used, output changes are one handed and instantaneous, without any changes of hand or finger position required, no finding a ring, no twisting or turning, just instant button taps with the thumb that is already resting over the button... the rear button lights pale in ergonomics in this regard.

As for tint, I would not accept a light with a bad tint. The tint on my three SC51W lights is absolutely superb. The tint on my Sc52w is good, but not as good as the neutral on the X-PG lights. Makes me wonder if the tint bins are more difficult in consistency with the XM-L2 emitters. In any event, if the tint on an individual sample isn't to your satisfaction, return the light. Simple as that.

I changed the thread title from "as good as it gets?" because I did not mean to imply that lights can't get any better that this. I intended to say that for me, this light is as good as one can get TODAY, for a compact EDC light. :)

Bit of a ZebraLight circlejerk in here. Sounding oddly like a paid advertisement from that subject line!

No, the SC52 is not "as good as it gets", because for one this is a completely opinion driven statement, and secondly there will always be room for improvement as long as technology keeps improving.

It's a nice light with probably my favorite single button UIs. I think there are better UI's than the single button, however. Control rings are about as simple and intuitive as I've ever seen in a flashlight. I'm still hoping for one in a native AA diameter.

The SC52 is small but because the head is quite a bit wider than the body it's not a very sleek light. I prefer my Eagletac D25A for daily carry because it slips out of a pocket easier. Having the button on the back also makes it quicker to find than the side mounted switch of the SC52. I can pickup the D25A from my nightstand and instantly know where the button is without re-orienting the light.

The ZL has good output for a single AA, but then so does my Eagletac and many other. I can't fault the SC52 for its tint which seems to be quite consistent, but the same cannot be said of the SC52W, with over 40% of responders to a recent poll (on these forums) mentioning a strong non-neutral tint to their lights, most commonly an awful green. This is unacceptable on a light of this caliber, if nothing but for the wild inconsistency.

Overall the SC52 is a pretty good light, but if this is as good as it gets, that would be extremely disappointing!

Last edited:

creyc

Enlightened

Better title choice, still assuming you're on the dime and typing this from ZebraLight corporate offices however..

For those (like me) annoyed with the need to re-orient the light every time I pick it up blindly in order to access the side switch, you can get similar performance from the H51W headlight with the added benefit of the switch at the end.

For EDC use I actually prefer the ergonomics of a headlight like this over the lengthwise layout of a more "traditional" flashlight.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a suspicious comment from you. Twice now.

Looking at my 4 1/2 years on this forum, with 2286 posts, and coverage of dozens of different lights that I have owned and used... and you repeat your suspicious comments? You might do a little homework before snidely accusing me of being "on the dime." That comment and your "circle jerk" comment reflect on your maturity and attitude.

...still assuming you're on the dime and typing this from ZebraLight corporate offices however..

Last edited:

JJohn

Enlightened

Back on topic. While I strongly prefer side switches as I find it more natural to operate the way I hold a light, what I like most about the Zebralight UI is the ability to go directly to low or high from off. This is extremely useful to me. My SWM V11R with AA extender does that pretty well too but, even without the extender, it seems way larger to me and does not work well in my jeans pocket. Everyone is different in what they look for in a light. I absolutely hate having to do a bunch of clicks or twists to get to high. Yet, I often use a light with dark adapted eyes and it is almost painful to have to go through higher modes to get to moonlight low.

Also, for end switch and twisty lights, about half the time, when I blindly grab one, I end up pushing the bezel and pointing the tail at what I want to illuminate. So, yeah, there is some reorienting needed there too. I have never notice any delay in finding the side switch on a ZL light.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Back on topic. While I strongly prefer side switches as I find it more natural to operate the way I hold a light, what I like most about the Zebralight UI is the ability to go directly to low or high from off. This is extremely useful to me. My SWM V11R with AA extender does that pretty well too but, even without the extender, it seems way larger to me and does not work well in my jeans pocket. Everyone is different in what they look for in a light.

Also, for end switch and twisty lights, about half the time, when I blindly grab one, I end up pushing the bezel and pointing the tail at what I want to illuminate. So, yeah, there is some reorienting needed there too. I have never notice any delay in finding the side switch on a ZL light.

JJohn... I too find the V11R more bulky than I prefer for an EDC pocket light. Great light. Very well made. Just bulky and not as quick and easy to operate as the side switch ZL. I got my V11R about the same time as my D25C and D25A clickies, and D25C twisty. The D25's were much nicer in the pocket... quite slim and sleek. But then again with the tail switch, more cumbersome to operate and change modes with as compared to the ZL side switch. All of these are great lights, but with significant differences in ergonomics.

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened

JJohn... I too find the V11R more bulky than I prefer for an EDC pocket light. Great light. Very well made. Just bulky and not as quick and easy to operate as the side switch ZL. I got my V11R about the same time as my D25C and D25A clickies, and D25C twisty. The D25's were much nicer in the pocket... quite slim and sleek. But then again with the tail switch, more cumbersome to operate and change modes with as compared to the ZL side switch. All of these are great lights, but with significant differences in ergonomics.

And that's the great thing about this forum - you get to read informed opinions and in depth reviews about all of them. Soon after I registered, I was reading another thread on peoples' opinions of the best all around light and CPF user StarHalo wrote the following wise words which I immediately stole and use today as my signature line:

The search for The One True EDC is not a path leading to a door, but a road leading forever to the horizon.

I couldn't argue with that :)

- Tim

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm disappointed with my SC52 (and previous H51w), it's a shelf queen.

- ZL likes to spec their 1.5v lights like other AA/sub-lumen competitors (47s, ET, TN) spec their 3v lights (eg QAA2-X and D25C-X).

- I knew the SC52 wouldn't hold a candle to the above 3v lights (with nearly the same specs across modes btw), but I did find it equally efficient (lm-hrs) with the competing 1.5v versions (QAAX and D25AX) in sample side-by-side output/runtime tests using both a light meter and stopwatch.

- What unpleasantly surprised me the most was how far off all the L modes are. As a low lumen/runtime junkie, I find I use 0.3 & 3 lms 80% of the time, and it's what I bought the SC52 for. I measure these to be ~0.08 and 1.5 lumens (1.0 on 14500s). At least it explains how ZL gets 2-3x the runtime as the competing lights at the "same" lumen levels.

- I realize low lumens are a very personal preference, and some like very dim sub-lumen modes, but to have three choices below 0.1 lms doesn't make sense to me, not to mention it's less than half the output of it's own sibling the H51w 0.2 mode. But this must be a "Goldie Locks" problem for just me, I guess.

- I'm not really a tint snob, but this my greenest XML light... out of almost a dozen.

- I like the volt meter with 14500s, but it's pretty useless with Eneloops, and the damn auto low voltage stepdown precludes the use one my favorite cells - the 3v lithium primary CRAA/14505.

- It's a little brighter than the competition, but you'll need equipment to be sure.

- I think the UI is great, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea of electronic switches yet. They add more complexity and yet another failure point (seen enough post, not just ZL) and is not user serviceable or field repairable/by-passable.

- I find the build quality very "nice" but refrain from saying "good" due to durability concerns (see above). Perhaps it's just me, but find it hard to trust a light when it's own manufacturer doesn't seem to (eg, warranty and customer service). That said, I'm sure these policies help it keep its price reasonably cheap, and that's a viable business model too.

- For the short time I did EDC the light the sharp edges around the clip and knurling on the tailcap chewed up a few jeans pockets. I dremeled and sanded the bad spots, but ended up put it on the shelf anyway.

It's actually an excellent light, but I guess its just that the company's marketing, warranty and CS policies, and low mode spacing, don't happen to agree with me.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

And that's the great thing about this forum - you get to read informed opinions and in depth reviews about all of them. Soon after I registered, I was reading another thread on peoples' opinions of the best all around light and CPF user StarHalo wrote the following wise words which I immediately stole and use today as my signature line:

The search for The One True EDC is not a path leading to a door, but a road leading forever to the horizon.

I couldn't argue with that :)

- Tim

So true, Tim. Flashlights are like streetcars... there's always another one coming down the pike. We travel on the light quest, but never quite arrive at a final destination.

RIX TUX

Enlightened

Better title choice, still assuming you're on the dime and typing this from ZebraLight corporate offices however..

GEEEZZ........I will be nice and just call that statement silly. ZL does not need any promoting.

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened

Ok guys to try to get back OT here I have a question for all you owners...

how long after you fast click the button to turn yours off does it take to actually turn off? Mine takes .5-1 sec to turn off, I seem to remember it use to turn off right at the click.

Vesper

Enlightened

For those (like me) annoyed with the need to re-orient the light every time I pick it up blindly in order to access the side switch, you can get similar performance from the H51W headlight with the added benefit of the switch at the end.

For EDC use I actually prefer the ergonomics of a headlight like this over the lengthwise layout of a more "traditional" flashlight.

Hey creyc, you complain of an "opinion driven statement", then go on a baseless and accusatory opinion-driven rant of your own. We get it, you're not a fan. Regardless, chill out. You're being a jerk.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Ok guys to try to get back OT

Cereal_Killer means get back on topic. Let's knock off the personal upsets with each other over different opinions, and get back on topic. You guys are pushing for some rule 4 violations.

Bill

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

So true, Tim. Flashlights are like streetcars... there's always another one coming down the pike. We travel on the light quest, but never quite arrive at a final destination.

True. So true. Like so many my lights are as much a collection as a daily tool. Don't get me wrong - there is at least one light in my pocket always. And I have a "no shelf queen" rule, so if it never sees use, it goes.

And although I don't use the SC52 as much as I did when I bought it, I still use it from time to time. Perhaps I've owned a light with every UI currently available. My PERSONAL opinion is that the Zebralight UI, once learned, is one of the most useful and easy UIs available. MY PERSONAL OPINION is that the rotary interface is a distraction.....heck, I'm usually either high or low.

And my Zebralights (all of them) remain in the collection, including the SC52. So I will agree with the original post. In my PERSONAL OPINION, the SC52 is about as good as a compact light can get.

run4jc out...

:eek:

Last edited: