Zebralight SC53c and SC53w

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
After two weeks of loving the SC5c II, ordered the SC53c two weeks ago. Arrived today. After carrying SC5c II for a month and a day, this thing feels small. Love the size. Tail stands with less wobble tha the SC5c II. I did not realize the anodizing would be a deeper grey, that's a nice touch. No one in the thread mentioned there's no pogo pins, just a spring. Too much complaining about lack of 14500 support, but there's a sale on perhaps several left of the SC52F L2, $45, have at it, and let's never speak of it again. Tint seems to be about the same in both lights, which I expected. Love it. Has the same hideous clip, no problemo: custom Ti clip in the works. I was unsure if I would like the host style, but seems ok. This one is a keeper for me. My biggest problem is which light to carry, but the difference in mode levels should determine that, SC5c II definitely during the day, and at night if I need the 475Lm. SC53c will be an option for when it is very dark and turbo lumens unnecessary, or if I need the smaller size. I got it for the 0.01Lm firefly L2 and the programmable G6 mode group. Don't need G7 in this, and G6 is already programmed for one click to low, two clicks to high. Should be a very dark night, will put it through some paces. Thank you, Zebralight.

Edit: I don't care for the certificate of compliance CE mark on the badge, forced the rest on there to be smaller. SC5c II doesn't have that. I guess I can live with it, I don't spend too much time reading the label badge.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
After two weeks of loving the SC5c II, ordered the SC53c two weeks ago. Arrived today. After carrying SC5c II for a month and a day, this thing feels small. Love the size. Tail stands with less wobble tha the SC5c II. I did not realize the anodizing would be a deeper grey, that's a nice touch. No one in the thread mentioned there's no pogo pins, just a spring. Too much complaining about lack of 14500 support, but there's a sale on perhaps several left of the SC52F L2, $45, have at it, and let's never speak of it again. Tint seems to be about the same in both lights, which I expected. Love it. Has the same hideous clip, no problemo: custom Ti clip in the works. I was unsure if I would like the host style, but seems ok. This one is a keeper for me. My biggest problem is which light to carry, but the difference in mode levels should determine that, SC5c II definitely during the day, and at night if I need the 475Lm. SC53c will be an option for when it is very dark and turbo lumens unnecessary, or if I need the smaller size. I got it for the 0.01Lm firefly L2 and the programmable G6 mode group. Don't need G7 in this, and G6 is already programmed for one click to low, two clicks to high. Should be a very dark night, will put it through some paces. Thank you, Zebralight.

Edit: I don't care for the certificate of compliance CE mark on the badge, forced the rest on there to be smaller. SC5c II doesn't have that. I guess I can live with it, I don't spend too much time reading the label badge.
I recently got an SC53c and SC53w. Now going thru a process to decide which to EDC, one of these or my SC64w HI that I've been toting around with me.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got an SC53c and SC53w. Now going thru a process to decide which to EDC, one of these or my SC64w HI that I've been toting around with me.

This is more of a problem than I thought. I had prepared to make a few gifts of SC5c II. One is sent, arrived, and was appreciated. There's two more to go. Now I am not sure I should instead gift SC53c... especially for my girlfriend, who has these adorable little carny hands. I always considered myself unequivocal and decisive. Now I find I am a leaf in the wind and can't decide anything, and I am left wondering if there is some deep psychological cause to my indecision.

Used my new SC53c all night, mostly indoors. The mode levels are really quite different than SC5c II. Between the two, several brightness levels are close, within 0.02Lm, but they only share a single one, which is 1Lm. These lights are not redundant. They are complementary.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am missing the pogo pins on the tail cap. Working with the spring requires a little more care to prevent the tail cap shooting across the room, makes it a little more difficult to get back on straight.

But I am giving the SC53 my seal of approval and a full thumbs up. Bravo, Zebralight.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the SC53 is rated only to 2.0 volts. It appears they dropped support for lithium ion cells.

That said... has anyone actually tried running their SC53 on a 14500 lithium ion cell?

I wonder if this is a case where the components are the same as the SC52 and the driver might actually support 3.7v with higher output, but rather the company has just chosen not to do so.

Just got my SC53w and the output is underwhelming. My old 200 lumen Zebralight SC80 has a brighter hotspot.