Zebralight SC53c and SC53w

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the dimensions for each are nearly identical to their predecessors.

SC5 - 1.0" x 3.2" / 2.0 oz
SC5 II - 1.0" x 3.2" / 1.8 oz

Maybe not very relevant to this conversation, but the raw numbers on paper don't always tell the whole story. Here's my 1st gen SC5 compared with my new SC5c II. The difference in size is quite a bit more than the numbers would indicate:

KQGtUuh.jpg

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 14500 battery, the reply from ZL was clear it was designed around low voltage. As they said a more sophisticated and expensive driver is used. This is specialized light which requires special battery, so Eneloop is your answer for the SC53.
It will complement my SC52 perfectly.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Only been using the sc53w for a day/night/early morning and i am liking it. Its certainly more compact in size/feel over the sc5c mkII i have. The 4500k (80+)is not as towards yellow as the 4000k (93-95).
IcjEeGCl.jpg

Few random pics

nLDP4F8l.jpg

mROrSdCl.jpg

LGHOPrAl.jpg

LDpbeChl.jpg

CfVRIIrl.jpg

As i tend to prefer the 16340 format, the sc5c mkII i do like being a little chunky, just kind of feels more natural or comfy in hand. The more compact sc53w does feel tiny for me, not only is it a little shorter but even more noticeable in the thinner body. Both lights i like, the 4000k is better used outdoors i am finding(presume a combination of house lighting and wall paper colour makes the "tint" worse than it actually is. This is a variable and does change from not pleasant to nice depending on room! Its sounds crazy and probably is, just from findings over time. Now the 4500k seems a little more house friendly so far, looks ok to nice in and around the house. I will EDC the sc53w in my coat (when i dig it out)and keep the sc5c mkII for now in my fleece jacket.

As with all potential EDC rotation candidates, i like to use them pretty much around the clock to get use to them and see if suitable!. Both ZL's are ample bright enough, both H1's on mine are set bellow their max levels(guess around 100-150lm type levels). Press hold for low and these are set at single figure lumens(not sub) for in the night/early morning stair descending ...............i need to see the stairs well enough with tired eyes.

dYGaFGol.jpg

Some AA lights...................who would have thought they are all fed on an AA cell(eneloop other than the lumapower which is 14500)
r5HDqxJl.jpg

The ZL are my fav AA by far! and AA fuel is not really my preferred fuel................but i like options/variety:)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for nice photos! I have several of Zebralight 1AA lights and I am considering to get another more. I just wish all of them had the knurling of MC5.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks Swedpat, there is certainly a big difference in grip between the sc5 and sc53. The sc5 is better suited for environments with oils or anything wet! The sc53 does feel slippy as it is, before any potential contamination. Something to certainly ponder ,depending on the application in mind.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Only been using the sc53w for a day/night/early morning and i am liking it. Its certainly more compact in size/feel over the sc5c mkII i have. The 4500k (80+)is not as towards yellow as the 4000k (93-95).
IcjEeGCl.jpg

Few random pics

nLDP4F8l.jpg

mROrSdCl.jpg

LGHOPrAl.jpg

LDpbeChl.jpg

CfVRIIrl.jpg

As i tend to prefer the 16340 format, the sc5c mkII i do like being a little chunky, just kind of feels more natural or comfy in hand. The more compact sc53w does feel tiny for me, not only is it a little shorter but even more noticeable in the thinner body. Both lights i like, the 4000k is better used outdoors i am finding(presume a combination of house lighting and wall paper colour makes the "tint" worse than it actually is. This is a variable and does change from not pleasant to nice depending on room! Its sounds crazy and probably is, just from findings over time. Now the 4500k seems a little more house friendly so far, looks ok to nice in and around the house. I will EDC the sc53w in my coat (when i dig it out)and keep the sc5c mkII for now in my fleece jacket.

As with all potential EDC rotation candidates, i like to use them pretty much around the clock to get use to them and see if suitable!. Both ZL's are ample bright enough, both H1's on mine are set bellow their max levels(guess around 100-150lm type levels). Press hold for low and these are set at single figure lumens(not sub) for in the night/early morning stair descending ...............i need to see the stairs well enough with tired eyes.

dYGaFGol.jpg

Some AA lights...................who would have thought they are all fed on an AA cell(eneloop other than the lumapower which is 14500)
r5HDqxJl.jpg

The ZL are my fav AA by far! and AA fuel is not really my preferred fuel................but i like options/variety:)

Ven,

Think you could do a beam comparison between the sc63w and the sc53c or any other hi cri Zebralight lights you have. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the sc64C or w when it comes out. The c is supposed to have the easy white XP-L2 of the 53c

Thanks

ven

Flashaholic
Ven,

Think you could do a beam comparison between the sc63w and the sc53c or any other hi cri Zebralight lights you have. I'm trying to decide if I should go with the sc64C or w when it comes out. The c is supposed to have the easy white XP-L2 of the 53c

Thanks

Yes no probs, will have a go when dark later on. The sc63w is the 4500k xhp35 which is definitely floody bias. The sc53w also 4500k, but xp-l2 easywhite. There is a sufficient brightness difference as well(800lm difference). The sc5c mkII has the 4000k xp-l2 easywhite, this is quite yellow(varies depending on ambient lighting i have found, sometimes it looks very yellow............other times not so bad).

My fav still is the sc62d, its only 320lm(dont care tbh as i dont need crazy outputs for EDC uses), the 5000k from the luxeon T is very nice! Next would be the sc63w, its a real nice 4500k to my eyes from the xhp35, the 4500k xp-l2 next and finally the 4000k xp-l2 in the sc5c mkII . The latter colours do look good, and it is better outside where walls dont pick up the tint. So its a user , just not up there with my preferred flavours.

So far from my limited experience with xp-l2 easywhite(2 lights), its not something i would have a 3rd of. I do prefer the 4500k xhp35(iirc both show 80 cri) given the choice.

ven

Flashaholic
Not the best, here are 4 quick pics cobraman

sc62d 5000k
qWx1CMol.jpg

sc53w 4500k
SgqTI52l.jpg

sc5c mkII 4000k
MBVAJzkl.jpg

sc63w 4500k
pGVUrTwl.jpg

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Wow that was fast thank you Ven. Between the sc5c and the sc63w which do you prefer for?

Tint
Beam profile
Cri (looks similar to me)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the sc5c and the sc63w

specs here

cri on the 63w is 80, CCT is 4500, and it uses 18650. Carry weight is 82 grams.
cri on the 5c is 93, CCT is 4000, and it uses AA. Carry weight is 75 grams

your need to decide your priorities
1. which battery chemistry do you want?
2. do you want low CRI or high CRI
3. decide what color temperature you prefer...

fwiw, pictures of grass do very little to inform about CRI, which has to do with RED Rendering, not Green Rendering.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
specs here

fwiw, pictures of grass do very little to inform about CRI, which has to do with RED Rendering, not Green Rendering.

Very true. I'm trying to see if the high cri option of the sc64C is worth the lumen drop or do I go with the sc64w.

ven

Flashaholic
Wow that was fast thank you Ven. Between the sc5c and the sc63w which do you prefer for?

Tint
Beam profile

I prefer the sc63w, the 4500k xhp35 . Funnily, i have misplaced(lost) the sc5c mkII :laughing:

ven

Flashaholic
I was leaning toward the sc64w as well and for my needs I think 80 cri is fine.

This is subjective, i obv like cri, hi cri=great..................but i need to like the tint, i need to see other colours than red look good. I dont want cream or beige instead of white for example. Depending on use, its less important for me with lighter colours(whites), like in a woods for one example. 80cri, 90cri............its just a part of the beam puzzle for me. Colour temp and tint,brightness (depending on application).

The sc62d is 85 cri iirc and only 320lm, yet i love the beam/ct and tint. The xhp35 is either 80 or 85 cri(cant remember where i read it) ,but the "tint" so to speak is quite nice. Neutral with a very small hint of warmth to my eyes which works well for me in the day and evening(happy medium i guess). I do prefer the xhp35 4500k to the xp-l2 4000k hi cri, all subjective anyway.

ven

Flashaholic
specs here

Yes quite a few differences, choices out of these two lights, the sc63w wins for me hands down. Even though i do prefer the UI of the sc5c light, the sc63w for my eyes is a little easier. Also the 18650 fuel tank gives many benefits for me, 3-4 times the energy for one. Then brighter output, and its not actually much longer, and the head is more compact with a slightly smaller reflector. Both are floody bias beams.......

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
specs here

This information is not entirely accurate Jon.

The 63w is 80CRI minimum and can possibly be higher(as much as 89). It's CCT is 4500K nominal and will range between about 4750 - 4275K depending on the sample you receive. There will be a very large variation in tint and CCT between samples of this light due to it using a 5-step binned emitter(Cree's highest variation bin).

The SC5c/SC64c are 93-95CRI(by ZL's specs) and the CCT is 4000K nominal and will range between about 4060 - 3935K. There will be a much smaller variation in tint and CCT with this light due to its 2-step binning(the tightest bin Cree offers).

CRI does not only have to do with red rendering. Although red(R9) is one of the colours that generally increases the most with higher CRI LED's, CRI is based on 8 different colour samples and higher CRI LED's will generally render many different colours more accurately including green.

So Cobraman502, CRI and output are not the only things to consider when deciding between the "w" and "c" models. The tint and CCT lottery will be much larger with the "w" models then with the "c" ones. Meaning, you have a much higher chance of getting an "extreme" sample with the "w". These are just some more things to keep in mind.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is subjective, i obv like cri, hi cri=great..................but i need to like the tint, i need to see other colours than red look good. I dont want cream or beige instead of white for example. Depending on use, its less important for me with lighter colours(whites), like in a woods for one example. 80cri, 90cri............its just a part of the beam puzzle for me. Colour temp and tint,brightness (depending on application).

The sc62d is 85 cri iirc and only 320lm, yet i love the beam/ct and tint. The xhp35 is either 80 or 85 cri(cant remember where i read it) ,but the "tint" so to speak is quite nice. Neutral with a very small hint of warmth to my eyes which works well for me in the day and evening(happy medium i guess). I do prefer the xhp35 4500k to the xp-l2 4000k hi cri, all subjective anyway.

Good points ven. CRI is only one part of the puzzle so to speak. CCT, tint, and binning specs are all important things to consider as well. As is the desired use for the light as this might effect your decision too. For instance, I find warmer CCT's are much better for night time and outdoor use.

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Ugh information over load. All good to know I'll just will have to bite the bullet and pic one.