ZebraLight SC600 MkII

Johnno

Newly Enlightened
It's stepped. It will only hold 500lm while there is enough juice left in the cell to do so... then it steps to the user selected med level, rinse/repeat to the user selected low level and then powers down when the cut-off voltage (2.7V) is reached.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light if you get someone that actually has them in stock anywhere in the world.

These have not hit the Australian market yet as far as I know.

Is it really worth the purchase if people already have the older MKI version like myself?

The main thing that I would consider worther of upgrading to it for is the battery level functions like my Zebralight SC52.

The SC52 is really a great little pocket rocket that I hardly notice in my jeans and is my EDC light now.

CHEERS

flasherByNight

Enlightened
so based on flashes or step downs is there a generic/general good idea of when the battery should be charged?

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the mk I should you upgrade? I would so no if you just want a brighter light. The mk I is already very bright, 750-900 is not really noticeable unless side by side. Reasons to upgrade, battery level meter, lower low, longer runtime. Your decision if that is enough. Please note, I don't have the mk I, just have the mk II.

Tulip bush

Enlightened
It's stepped. It will only hold 500lm while there is enough juice left in the cell to do so... then it steps to the user selected med level, rinse/repeat to the user selected low level and then powers down when the cut-off voltage (2.7V) is reached.

Thanks, that's a shame, I thought it might have full time constant like an armytek. Still a cracking light though.

AmperSand

Enlightened
Great light if you get someone that actually has them in stock anywhere in the world.

Is it really worth the purchase if people already have the older MKI version like myself?

The main thing that I would consider worther of upgrading to it for is the battery level functions like my Zebralight SC52.

The SC52 is really a great little pocket rocket that I hardly notice in my jeans and is my EDC light now.

CHEERS

Im from Aus too, got sick of waiting and ordered from e2fieldgear. Arrived pretty quickly. I have an sc600 and sc52 as well as getting the sc600 mkii.
Definately worth the upgrade just for the programmable med and low modes and lower low modes along with better circuit efficiency and more compact package.
I also have a pre-stepdown sc600, so having stepdown at lower voltages is nice also.
Sc52 still has a lower low than the lowest low of the sc600 mkii.
I have a 3 year old son with autism and its especially handy to have the super low modes to check on him at night without disturbing him.
The highest output looks identical between my sc600 and sc600 mkii (even on a ceiling bounce) , so if highs are all you care about not a lot of difference there at all.

oeL

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that's a shame, I thought it might have full time constant like an armytek. Still a cracking light though.

When you compare the armytek programmed to constant brightness with the zebralight both behave quite the same: At the last few % of capacity they step down, allowing you to grap a spare cell out of your pocket (or even find your way home at reduced brightness). Former models with constant brightness regulation didn't have this feature - and it was no fun at all to jump around in the forest at night and all of a sudden find yourself in total darkness...

Still you have (estimated) more than 90 % of capacity at full brightness. And because both (the SC600/II and the Armytek single 18650 lights) are accepting Panasonic based 3400 mAh cells (AW 3400 or unprotected NCR18650B) the runtime is great.

The real difference on regulation is the turbo mode of the MKII: The claimed 900 lm are for the first 5 minutes only. The Armytek starts on high and stays on high.
For Armytec one should note that the lumens value is (still) the LED emitter value and not (yet) OTF (off the front) which is a bit less. Probably not much, because of the high quality reflector and front glass used.

Last edited:

fnj

Enlightened

I am getting the sense that you don't know what stepped regulation is, though it's presumptuous of me to think so. In any case, there will be readers who don't know, so here's the deal.

True fixed regulation, like presumably the Armytek, holds the setting absolutely flat, until the battery can no longer support that level any more; the end behavior after that is unspecified. Without further specification, the light might go out instantly at that point. Or it might dim out smoothly. Or it could (gasp) step down in an orderly fashion. Or conceivably it could do other things, like start flickering. I don't know which one of those the Armytek does.

True stepped flat regulation, like the SC600 Mk II and the HDS EDC, holds the setting absolutely flat until, in the judgement of the designer, the real time measured state of the battery no longer can support that level with safety to the battery. Then it steps down to a reduced level, and there can be a number of such steps, ending with again unspecified behavior at the absolute end of light production.

That's right, those who read carefully. They are pretty much the SAME THING. The stepped flat is nothing but a subset of the fixed. Neither one can hold that flat setting when the battery can't maintain it any more. Either one has to do SOMETHING at that point. The only wiggle room is how close either one lets the battery get to the irreduceable limit before either stepping down or going out, and in my experience they never tell you that. You have to wait for a graph of lumens versus run time from a test.

Anyway, thank you Tulip bush, you got me to check the Armytek site. Those are some sweet lights, and I don't think I'm going to be able to resist a Predator Pro 2.5 or perhaps a Viking Pro 2.5, but probably the former because it is a quite different beam from my SC600 Mk I. It will probably get here before my old Mk II order!

Note to, ahem, "all" other manufacturers. How can Armytek offer free DHL worldwide on orders over $95.00 while they use the slow boat from China?

fnj

Enlightened
Just want to very briefly mention, if you visit Armytek and buy certain stuff currently on big promotion, and include a certain CPF promo code on top of that, you are going to come away VERY pleased indeed.

Tulip bush

Enlightened
Thanks......oeL and fnj, I am still learning, and it's great that you guy's help:). So the predator and viking are like the sc600 II with regards to stepped, but the pro predator and viking are constant from start to finish. I think I've got it. I'm going to read it again and hopefully the penny will drop,,,,, I'm not the brightest of people:duh2:.

fnj

Enlightened
Thanks......oeL and fnj, I am still learning, and it's great that you guy's help:). So the predator and viking are like the sc600 II with regards to stepped, but the pro predator and viking are constant from start to finish. I think I've got it. I'm going to read it again and hopefully the penny will drop,,,,, I'm not the brightest of people:duh2:.

As I understand it, the Pros are more programmable than anything I have ever heard of including HDS EDC, and you can set your own regulation method: fixed, stepped, or absolutely maximal with smooth droop at the end. Not only that but you can program not only output mode, but even HOW MANY modes there are! I know that sounds incredible, but that is my understanding.

We almost certainly should take this off topic conversation to another thread.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Let's not get carried away with a long discussion re Armytek in this ZebraLight thread.

Bill

oeL

Newly Enlightened
​OT comments removed. Let's stay on topic.------ Bill

Back on topic:

One should note that stepping down when reaching the capacities end is a feature improvement Zebralight introduced later. Their first models just switched off, leaving you in total darkness. And the steps are big steps and noticeable, so this includes some kind of low voltage warning as well. Other lights might dim over time, and since your eyes will adapt you might even not notice it at all. In my eyes, the regulation of the Zebras like in the SC 600 MkII is one of the best currently available.

Just the turbo/high switch, one might like it, the other not. But I see that the SC 600 is too small to handle the 900 lm longer than 5 minutes, especially because of the lack of temperature based regulation (like the Zebra S6330).

Hopefully the SC600"w" MkII will arrive soon :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AussieRanga

Enlightened

CHEERS

I'm from Aus and my friend has had his for about 3 weeks now.

I have a Mk1 NW so it's a bit hard to compare them. At first I found I liked the feel of my Mk1 in the hand, then he removed the STUPID (!!!) ring for attaching lanyards and the Mk2 felt pretty good. I got out the Dremel and completely removed the knobby bit on the Mk1 where the ring would go and it feels even better again!!

I think I'll get one just for the lower lows, better efficiency and the fact it's CW as after being on the NW band wagon for so long and having recently got the sc52, I am actually finding CW has it's time and place and is still very relevant.
Yes, colours definitely appear more real at night with NW but simply being able to see more and identify things easier makes it an easy choice for an electrician and avid underground explorer ;)

Had I owned a Mk1 CW, I may not be so inclined to ugrade.
Will I buy a Mk2 NW if I get the CW? Probably, but I doubt I'm alone there!

Johnnyt

Newly Enlightened

The SC52 is really a great little pocket rocket that I hardly notice in my jeans and is my EDC light now

CHEERS

In the cpf marketplace torchdirect has it in stock. I ordered yesterday and got a shipping notice today!

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...com-ZebraLight-LRI-Best-Price-on-Earth!/page2

Last edited:

Romo Lampkin's Cat

Newly Enlightened
I joined just to make this post! I've been lurking off and on for years.

I bought and received an SC600 mkII a couple weeks ago. In the past few years I've become more concerned with self-defense, and in the past few months I decided I wanted to carry a flashlight. The SC600 is my first "real" flashlight. The build quality, the feel of the switch, the compactness -- all outstanding. And it's insanely bright, as expected.

But there's one thing I don't like about it: color. I get green tint around the hotspot and a purple discoloration around the outer perimeter of the spill. In turbo mode, the discoloration is less noticeable and I would characterize the color as cool white. I get this on all settings, including turbo.

Regardless of whether I like its color (and I don't), I don't plan to send it back. It's my first EDC and I'm pretty happy with it. It's just nutso to be able to walk into my backyard and see, well, everything when I hit the button. My middle son (age 6) has discovered without any influence from me that he likes flashlights too, and he takes one of my Dorcy Cool Blue #1's to bed so he can read with it. (Yes, he's six and he reads in bed with a flashlight. Pretty cool huh?) But he loves it when I shine the SC600 on the ceiling of his room so he can compare it to the paucity of light coming from the Cool Blue. We then chant "Hefty hefty hefty! Wimpy wimpy wimpy!" together and laugh. He doesn't even know where that comes from but he likes to say it. Ah, good times with flashlights.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Awesome, I am happy that your like your SC600 even though it does not meet all of your expectations. Also + that one of your son's is liking flashlights, maybe he will become a flashaholic, if his dad can afford it. LOL.

Bill

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the cpf marketplace torchdirect has it in stock. I ordered yesterday and got a shipping notice today!

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...com-ZebraLight-LRI-Best-Price-on-Earth!/page2

I am still not sure about whether or not to get the SC600 MKII.

I have the SC600 MK I version.

The SC52 is doing such a great job as my EDC that I don't think I need it now.

The SC52 is so tiny in my pocket that it is a wonder that it has not gone through the washing machine yet!

The battery level and low battery warning functions work really well and on a AA Imedion LSD (low self discharge) 2400mah battery it goes for ages.

I really think that using my Efest 3.7v 700mah IMR or one of my Soshine 3.7v Li-ion 700mah batteries in it is just for showing off but very impractical as the runtime is not very long and the kickdown cuts in to drop the light back down in output.

CHEERS

Last edited: