locked out

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my mom drives a mini van.
it is a 1997 plymouth voyager - or a dodge caravan.

instead of a glovebox it has a - locking - slideout storage bin or drawer under the front passenger seat.

the storage bin is locked and we can not open it

a friend of mine has a 1988 crysler minivan its storage bin unlocks with it's own key - not the door/ignition key.

my mom bought the van brand new and she swears it came with 2 ignition/door keys. - no seperate smaller key for the storage bin.

in the bin is my digital camera - inova x1 - ha3 inova x5 - arc ls2-p - and my arc ls3(I am going to sell the ls3 before I loose it).

I locked the drawer/bin and I seem to remember a smaller key - the ignition key does not seem to fit.

so does any one have a van like this and does your storage bin unlock with the ignition key - or a different key ?

my mom is in no hurry to figure it out.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hey, that is your stuff ; " digital camera - inova x1 - ha3 inova x5 - arc ls2-p - and my arc ls3(I am going to sell the ls3 before I loose it)". Offer to take it to the dealer and see if they can open it. I guess if it was me and my mom she would never care as it ain't her stuff. If they can't open it and there was a key they can order a replacement key. If that fails borrow it and drive to my house and I will get your stuff one way or another no charge.
Topper

Deanster

Enlightened
I drive the same van, just a couple years newer, and the ignition key opens the storage tray under the passenger seat - AFAIK, this has been the way it works for the entire history of this bin - The van is designed for distracted moms, and asking them to keep track of a separate key is crazy - it's a one-key car.

This design is prone to jamming - I'd take a moment for 'percussive maintenance', and give the door a really solid whack or two, then try the key again, then repeat.

Caution is indicated, though, as it's not hard to break the plastic of the bin or the tracks it sits on - I wouldn't hit it with something other than my hand. Check it out closely - if the bin is misaligned, it can jam as if it were locked, when really it's just stuck hard on the tracks. A vigorous pull (attention the the above caution on not breaking it), will often get things moving.

It's also worth trying the key both ways, since sometimes one side of the key can get worn enough that it doesn't engage the tumblers correctly. Finally, a shot of WD-40 into the lock mechanism might help if it's internally sticky.

that'd be my path, before I started dissassembling things to get at my LS3... but it wouldn't take long before I got out the crowbar...

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
If the van was bought brand-new, the dealer should be able to give you a replacement key. Or, take it down to the locksmith (some do home calls). They'll open the thing for you and make you a couple of keys.

Don't sell the LS3, send it to greenLED for his B'day. ;)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The advice given so far is good. If the ignition key turns the lock, it's just a matter of the bin being stuck. If the lock does not turn, try all your spares too. While you are at it, try GENTLY wiggling each key in the lock as you withdraw it.

If you need a locksmith's help, just drive it down to the shop. Home calls cost $$$$ for the trip on top of the cost of the work.

Daniel

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to be aware of is that the ignition key may not insert all the way into the lock, but that is OK. It just goes half way in and will turn at that point.

I am not familiar with the Plyouth minivan storage bin, but this is the way many glove box locks work.

C4LED

Enlightened
If it uses just the one key the lock may have some dirt, rust or anything in it.

Try spraying some WD-40 in it. This will loosen up the dirt and mechanism in general making it much easier to turn. I've tried this and it works.