-Growing a Bonsai tree using artificial light-

edison

Enlightened
Does anyone here have experience growing Bonsai trees?

A close friend gave me a Bonsai kit for Christmas. I'm very impressed because it was probably cheaper than all of the other gifts I received however it is the one that I appreciate the most. I read the directions and there are different procedures required depending on the type of seeds that happen to be in the package. Some flourish if germinated now during the cold season, others are better if sprouted in the spring.

I know this may sound weird and eclectic; but I guess that's partially what the cafe is for. Has anyone tried growing a Bonsai using LED light? Perhaps a mixture of red and blue Luxeons would be most efficient? I realize fluorescent sources would probably be much easier, but I'd like to use the latest and most exotic method. (Not to mention, energy efficient.)

Any Bonsai experts out there? Do they require a seasonal dormancy cycle if being grown under ideal artificial conditions and provided with constant measured nutrition?

Makarov

Enlightened
I had a Bonsai tree a couple of years ago, and I kept it by my window.
I don't think it had the best of chances of survival in the first place, but my landlady(at the time) killed it definetly while taking care of it for me for 2 weeks.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't know about the LED lighting aspect for growing it. . .But doesn't it take a really long time to "get it" right? I've heard of some 150 and 180 year old Bonsais. I'm sure these ones survived not due to LED lighting!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
a very close friend has one.
i take care of it when she goes away 2 months at a time on business.
i cannot remember all the instructions right now but i will see her tomorrow.
as for lighting i hung a 2 foot 2 tube shoplite over the table it is on and installed vitalite tubes in it.seems to do just fine.
best guess is this one is 35 years old.i hear they can,with proper care ,live hundreds of years.

Makarov

Enlightened
I just came home from the new years eve party at my friends house, it's 3am here and I'm off to bed really soon :drunk:
My friends wife and one of her friends have both degrees in agriculture, so I asked them what type of light they recommended. The answer was high pressure sodium lights. A quick google tells me that thats another name for HID(!) and that it's really good for your plants.

So I guess now you got your excuse to get one of those nifty mini HID's :naughty: