AdvancedMart 0.5watt - Lithium Lights (CR2 & CR123)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of interesting 1/2watt lights from AdvancedMart.com -
Chromed brass .5 Watt Pocket sized LED keychain flashlight (LED-050CR2) 1 x CR2
Chromed brass .5 Watt Pocket sized LED keychain flashlight (LED-050CR123) 1 x CR123A
or available as a pair at even lower price -
Chromed brass .5 Watt LED keychain flashlight Combo (LED-050CR2 & LED-050CR123)
@ just under $20 for the pair. Using single Lithium batteries - CR2 and CR123 respectively.

Size comparison -
AdvM05wLiSize.jpg

Both being chromed brass - they feel pretty substantial/heavy for the size. Both have reverse clickies. Both make very good electrical contacts as both bodies are actually fully electrically conductive, inside and outside.

Heads view -
AdvM05wLiHds.jpg

Supplied with battery and pouch -
AdvM05wLiOpn.jpg

Both lights are supposed to be compatible with rechargeable Li-Ion batteries.
(I only have RCR123 sized 3.6-3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion batteries)

Compared with each other both on regular non-rechargeable CR batteries -
AdvM05wCR2_123.jpg
AdvM05wCR2_123U2.jpg

The CR2 version seems brightrer and with a nicer tint.

CR2 compared to used RCR123 3.6V rechargeable -
AdvM05wCR2_UR123.jpg
AdvM05wCR2_UR123U2.jpg

Used RCR123 seems to output about the same level as the non-rechargeable CR123 - neither are as bright as the CR2 version.

CR2 compared to Freshly charged RCR123 -
AdvM05wCR2_FR123.jpg
AdvM05wCR2_FR123U2.jpg

Now here's a surprise - a RCR123 freshly off the charger - actually seems to give a dimmer output than either the non-rechargeable CR123 or the used RCR123.......!

Here are the current draw measurements -

CR123A (non-rechargeable) - 3.07V - 100-110mA
Used RCR123 - 3.82V - 120mA
Freshly charged RCR123 - 4.06V - 30mA on 10A scale -
BUT 107mA on 200mA scale!!!! (and looked brighter)

Compared to CR2 version
CR2 (supplied Tianqiu) - 2.94V 120mA
CR2 (Panasonic) - 2.97V 120mA.

It has been posted that the 200mA scale would have an in-line resistor -
So I would have thought the light should be even dimmer and show a lower current draw....?
My speculation - freshly off the charger the RCR123 measured some 4.07V open-circuit. This might be too high for the light and the circuit may have reduced the current for protection. However using the 200mA scale which put some additional resistance in-line may have reduced the power draw enough to allow the light to operate normally(?) - this is just a guess on my part.

Either way the CR123 version was dimmer than I expected and there was not an attendent increase in brightness when using 3.6V rechargeable RCR123 - the light stayed roughly at the same level - at least on my sample.

CR2 version vs. 0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S
AdvM05wCR2AA.jpg
AdvM05wCR2AA2U.jpg

Very similar brightness levels, hotspot and side-spill corona sizes -
but the CR2 has a nicer tint - not really that noticable in practice - but definitely shows in a side-by-side beamshot.

OK, how nice a tint? -

CR2 version compared to a 1watt Luxeon Fenix L1 v2.5 (Non-Premium)
AdvM05wCR2Fenix.jpg
AdvM05wCR2Fenix2U.jpg

Obviously NOT as bright - but SURPRISE! - I think this AdvancedMart 0.5watt CR2 version actually has a nicer tint than the highly regarded Fenix L1 v2.5 - amazing....

CR2 version vs. Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA (TM-310H)
AdvM05wCR2Nuwai.jpg
AdvM05wCR2Nuwai2U.jpg

Comparable brightness - but, not surprisingly, the Nuwai 1/2watt is noticably Bluer.

CR2 version vs. 8LED 1AA "Xnova" New
AdvM05wCR2Xnova.jpg
AdvM05wCR2Xnova2U.jpg

Xnova 8 new seems to have slightly brighter large flood-y hotspot - but these lights are pretty comparable.

The CR2 version is advertized and has been tested to give a runtime of about 5.5 - 6+ hours on a single regular CR2.

The CR123 version was a bit of a disappointment to me - because it was dimmer AND the advertized and tested runtimes were still about 6 hours - no better than the lower capacity CR2.

Wheras I am pretty impressed with the CR2 version with comparable brightness to other 1/2watts of this world and a tint on my sample of one that may be better than the highly regarded 1 watt Luxeon Fenix L1 v2.5 ! -
that I think is actually pretty amazing for a mere $10 light!

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy wrote: "Here's my runtime plot for the 050-CR2 lilght"

Many thanks Roy for the fast and helpful response - yep, 6hours 22minutes to 50% mark or about 5.5hours with fairly flat output is pretty good IMHO.

I am still impressed with the tint which seemed better than any other 1/2watts I've used, even other AdvancedMarts -
perhaps this is a newer batch of 1/2watt LEDs, and newer lights may have this great tint?

LowWorm

Enlightened
Thanks a LOT, UnknownVT - these beamshots are impressive, and Roy's runtime test is a good confirmation.

I've been looking for a small (CR2 or AAA) light with a decent beam (whitish, no ringy artifacts) for a little while now...maybe this is the ticket?

How durable/waterproof would you say the 0.5watt CR2 seems to you?

bruner

Enlightened
I recently bought four .5w lights from advancedmart. A few of them are the ones you are talking about. I can't give any technical details, but thought I might throw in my 2 cents and say that I'm very happy with all of them. They work well, they are made well, the price was great, but I won't go dunking them in water any time soon.

From left to right (all are .5w except the glo-toob, of course): AAA chromed brass, AA aluminum, CR123A chromed brass, CR2 chromed brass...

I agree that the chromed brass ones feel substantial. They definitely have some mass to them. The AA aluminum one is the lightest of them all. In fact, I would say that it's as light as a feather.

Dan

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowWorm wrote: "I've been looking for a small (CR2 or AAA) light with a decent beam (whitish, no ringy artifacts) for a little while now...maybe this is the ticket?
How durable/waterproof would you say the 0.5watt CR2 seems to you?"

Thank you for the kind words.

The chromed brass AdvancedMart 0.5w CR2 would be pretty tough - because of the substantial body tube.

However, as bruner posted - I don't think it is waterproof to any real extent - even though the light uses an O-ring for its tailap - I think the switch button may let water in -
although I just did a suction and blowing test on the tailcap and it seemed air-tight.

You may also be interested in the 1AAA 0.5w AdvancedMart LED-050AAA - I liked the way the beam has a hotspot that fades gradually into the side-spill corona. It is also chromed brass, but I did not like position of the side switch. Runtime is shorter advertized at 4+hours - but tested at just under 3hours.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was impressed with the tint and the overall beam quality of the CR2 AdvancedMart 0.5watt, and hoped that the LEDs were from a newer batch - so that newer purchases would benefit from this nice tinted LED.

So I wrote John at AdvancedMart to ask about this - he replied that it seems that the newer ones have a better tint - but obviously he doesn't have the time to check every single one.

Although I was somewhat disappointed with the CR123 version - it's just noticably dimmer (but really not that dim).

However if the manufacturer either foregoes trying to protect the light with the use of rechargeable 3.7V RCR123 - or even just use the same LED and circuit in the CR2 version - then I would think the runtime - using a CR123 which is about double the capacity of the CR2 - should be in the region of 11-13hours - this is plenty and, pretty impressive -
and for me, would make this in to a world class light.

Both these lights are chromed brass - and feel pretty substantial.

It kind of works for the CR2 version - being smaller.
But the CR123 version feels overly heavy to me.

Please also see my comments about these lights in Post #19 of this thread:

Form-Factor, Size, Ergonomics

When it comes down to it - I wish they were both just anodized alumium - and the CR123 should probably be knurled/checkered in the same style for better grip....
those, with the CR2 version's beam tint/quality, brightness, and double the runtime - I would have been raving about the CR123 version.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The six hour runtime of the CR2 version looks great- that and the size/output of the light pique my interest. I agree that the aluminum used in the AA version would be nice for weight purposes, but I wonder if the material has something to do with conductivity, since I haven't heard of any switch issues in the CR2 (and it seems to have the same switch as the AA). Any comment on this- that is, has the CR2 version flickered at all?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to let you know, I ordered one of the CR2's based on your review (I let advanced mart know also) . I hope mine has the tint characteristics that yours did. I've got one of the advancedmart 1/2 watt AAA's and although it's generally pretty nice, I'm not overly found of the "ghost" tinted led as it kinda washes out the color and depth. For the money though, I'll find it hard to find fault with tint in the Cr2.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice wrote: "but I wonder if the material has something to do with conductivity, since I haven't heard of any switch issues in the CR2 (and it seems to have the same switch as the AA). Any comment on this- that is, has the CR2 version flickered at all?"

No flickering at all.

All the chromed brass 1/2watt lights, that's CR2, CR123 and AAA (1AAA 0.5w AdvancedMart LED-050AAA) versions are fully conductive on their bodies - that's both inside and outside - since chrome and brass are (conductive) metal - as opposed to anodizing which is not conductive.

However to be fair neither of the two samples of the AA version (0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S) - one silver and one black - have flickered either, and I EDC the silver one at home, so it does get used a lot..........

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the good reviews U-VT. I'm looking for an EDC and the CR2 is something I'll consider. I'm waiting for my CPF Special Rainier to see if that is a bit too big for an EDC [or maybe too valuable as an EDC]. I wish the CR2 version came in aluminum for decreased weight.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_Thrift wrote: "I'm waiting for my CPF Special Rainier to see if that is a bit too big for an EDC [or maybe too valuable as an EDC]. I wish the CR2 version came in aluminum for decreased weight."

Thanks for the kind words.

The Peak CPF Special (Rainier) is certainly a very interesting light - with real brightness on rechargeable 3.6V RCR123 and long runtime on primary CR123A.

I just did a comparison review in 3 parts ie: it's LONG(-winded?
icon11.gif
) of some 3watt single RCR123 rechargeable lights -

3watt single RCR123 Rechargeable Shootout

One impressed me a lot - but it's a bit too big to EDC in my pocket for when I go out of my house. I can obviously EDC almost anything vaguely pocket-able at home though - and I have that light in my pocket right now.

The CR2 1/2watt AdvancedMart feels substantial - but because of its dimunitive size is really not too heavy - yes, heavier than expected - but not too heavy.

Try it, at about $10 you'd be surprised what a good small (and inexpensive) light can do - and this is a good light.

LowWorm

Enlightened
Well, I gave Unknown VT's challenge a try, and bought 2 of the 1/2 watt chromed brass lights from Advancedmart....

Initial impression was that for the price, this was a nice light beamwise - bright, smooth, and a little on the blue side (I wasn't expecting white at this price point). The light has a nice heft to it, and the chromed brass is an attractive finish for such a cheap light. I thought that these would make nice little gift lights down the road.

Here's where the story gets sad...within 2 days, the first light dies. Just like that, it wouldn't click on any more. Made sure it wasn't battery, and even tried switching tailcaps to see if the problem was there, but no...looks like the light just lost the will to live.

I thought, gee, at least I had the foresight to get two lights. Guess I'll just have to get in touch w/Advancedmart about this bum light. A week or so passed and I still hadn't gotten around to returning dead light A when light B gives up the ghost, too. Again, no indication of impending doom. Just didn't click on. Again, not a battery issue.

So, let's just say that based on my personal empirical data, this is not a light I'd recommend to anyone. First and foremost in my priority scheme, a light has got to be dependable. Both half-watters are going back to Advancedmart post haste, and hopefully if you've bought this light your experience has been better than mine.

<EDIT> My lights were the .5w CR2 models.

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, sadly after my problems with several .5 watt AA ones, I'm not going anywhere near the others in the "line." Its a shame, since otherwise (other than flickering/crapping out unexpectedly) they are appealingly designed lights.

Note that I still really like advancedmart as a dealer (and they will make good on bum units), I just would like to see them offering a more reliable version of these lights, or just discontinue them in favor of something better.

Flame

Newly Enlightened
I got a the AdvancedMart 0.5w CR2 model about a month ago. I have EDCed it since I got it. It's beam is very close to white with a very very slight blue tint. Beam quality is pretty good. The only problem I have had so far is once in a while I have to click it more than once to get it to fire up. I have been using a RCR2 in it since day one. For the price, I am happy with mine. I am sorry you got a pair of bummers!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowWorm wrote: "Here's where the story gets sad...within 2 days, the first light dies. Just like that, it wouldn't click on any more. Made sure it wasn't battery, and even tried switching tailcaps to see if the problem was there, but no...looks like the light just lost the will to live.

I thought, gee, at least I had the foresight to get two lights. Guess I'll just have to get in touch w/Advancedmart about this bum light. A week or so passed and I still hadn't gotten around to returning dead light A when light B gives up the ghost, too. Again, no indication of impending doom. Just didn't click on. Again, not a battery issue.

So, let's just say that based on my personal empirical data, this is not a light I'd recommend to anyone. First and foremost in my priority scheme, a light has got to be dependable. Both half-watters are going back to Advancedmart post haste, and hopefully if you've bought this light your experience has been better than mine.

<EDIT> My lights were the .5w CR2 models."

I am real sorry to hear about the demise of 2 of these CR2 0.5w lights.

This is not good.

However all my AdvancedMart 0.5w lights have been reliable - other than my initial single AA model - there is quite extensive discussion and my investigation on that bad sample - please see

0.5w 1AA - AdvancedMart LED-005S

Posts #12, #23

I agree a light has to be dependable and I too would hesitate recommending any lights that may be prone to failure - based on reports - and even if mine have been fine (up to now)

Thanks for the input -
and I'm real sorry to hear of those failures.